How severe punishment for Gard’s comments about refs?

tweeterhawk

If the B1G has any courage (big IF) it will come down hard on Wisconsin and Greg Gard for his comments about the officiating following the loss to Iowa. Fine? Letter in the file? Fran McCaffrey says oh Hi.

Gard was highly critical of the Flagrant 1 called on guard Brad Davison for his “hook-and-hold” move on Keegan Murray in the closing seconds of the game. Gard said that kind of action happens all the time under the basket and even suggested Murray instigated it.

Sorry, coach, but your player is a punk-ass bitch. A punk-ass bitch, got that? Murray could have gotten seriously hurt being thrown to the floor on that play.

The reason there may be an unwritten “Brad Davison rule” among referees is his reputation for dirty play precedes him. College level referees do their homework on the teams and players of the games they are assigned. They should know the strategies, tendencies, potential trouble spots to watch for. Davison is one of those trouble spots.

Coach, if you’re upset because you think officials are focusing on Davison, maybe look at the reasons for that: Davison’s tendency to play dirty and a coach and program that apparently encourage
it.

I hope we get a third chance to “whack a mole” in Indianapolis.

Bring it B!

Just read his comments what a hypocrite! His players were flopping all game if Garza breathed on them and were begging the officials to review Jordan’s inbound. Poor, poor, Davidson the league is against him. Boo hoo, get me a hankie. I guess his nut punch against JBo was just a youthful error along with his many documented behavior. Can’t a guy get a break? He’s reformed folks his hook and holds that knocked down Keegan twice were just hard play. Wisconsin should have kicked this bum off the team years ago.

College level referees do their homework on the teams and players of the games they are assigned. They should know the strategies, tendencies, potential trouble spots to watch for.
Sorry, but that’s just flat out not true.

Sorry, but that’s just flat out not true.
You don't think that the Big Ten refs gain a familiarity with different players' and program's reputations and tendencies?
I'd think that if there were a player who built a reputation for cheap shots, that the refs would keep an eye out for dirty plays around those players. I'd think that the refs would want to avoid missing those cheap shots. I'd think that that would be the kind of thing that would hang over a ref if they knew it happened on their watch.
Even if they aren't prepping by deliberately studying the players before hand--I think they do, btw--I think that they know who they are officiating. If you ref several games for the same teams, you learn how the players play, especially the juniors and seniors.

I think he should the NCAA should pay him. The refs were terrible. A lot of national talking heads (Bilas, etc) were ripping on the refs because of all of the stoppages (and length of them) and they still missed calls. Even though most of the calls went Iowa's way, I was still cussing at my TV. They either couldn't hear me or they didn't care what I had to say.

You don't think that the Big Ten refs gain a familiarity with different players' and program's reputations and tendencies?
I'd think that if there were a player who built a reputation for cheap shots, that the refs would keep an eye out for dirty plays around those players. I'd think that the refs would want to avoid missing those cheap shots. I'd think that that would be the kind of thing that would hang over a ref if they knew it happened on their watch.
Even if they aren't prepping by deliberately studying the players before hand--I think they do, btw--I think that they know who they are officiating. If you ref several games for the same teams, you learn how the players play, especially the juniors and seniors.
You obviously learn certain teams and players as the year goes on just through association, but there’s no prepping and studying players/teams. Through officiating circles (I officiate high school and some NAIA baseball) I’ve met and talked to quite a few P5 basketball and baseball officials and I can tell you that’s false. First off, these aren’t full-time jobs. College officials still have day jobs and they sure as hell don’t sit around watching tape and taking notes on players trying to “even out the score” with vendettas or any other kind of subjectivity against guys like Davison. He’s a super douche bag, don’t get me wrong, but officials—especially at that level—take pride in not going one way or the other.

There’s a B1G referee whose son umpires NAIA/D3 in my area and comes to quite a few of his games, and he told me flat out he doesn’t even watch basketball on tv because between work and traveling to officiate games that’s the last thing he wants to sit and do. Just like football, basketball refs in those leagues are individually evaluated after each and every game, immediately after the game. The only difference now is that I’m sure it’s done via zoom. Different sport and not college, but Bruce Dreckman lives about a half hour from me and we've had a lot of good discussion on officiating and the public perception vs reality, I can guarantee you people don't understand the pressure and fragility of these guys' jobs.

Bottom line, there’s no conspiracy. Anyone who likes to criticize officiating at that level of sports should grab a whistle or face mask and hop into their local high school association and see what it’s like (every association across the country is hurting for people). The guys at P5 level have put literally decades into making it while having families and full time jobs, and there’s zero chance they’re purposely swaying a game a certain way or calling for/against a certain player.

I think he should the NCAA should pay him. The refs were terrible. A lot of national talking heads (Bilas, etc) were ripping on the refs because of all of the stoppages (and length of them) and they still missed calls. Even though most of the calls went Iowa's way, I was still cussing at my TV. They either couldn't hear me or they didn't care what I had to say.
This I do agree with. But people need to understand it's an NCAA issue, not the officials. Refs are told they have to start enforcing those new ticky tack rules, and their jobs are obviously in jeopardy if they don't. The stoppages are ridiculous, but on the flipside it's people like in this thread who are constantly complaining who actually caused the problem in the first place. Media/coach/league pressure has pretty much forced the new style of officiating because people watching on TV have 37 different high def slow mo camera angles to replay a hundred times, and they lose their fucking minds if a call gets "missed" (which in basketball is a fool's errand because pretty much every call can go either way).

Sorry folks, whether people want to admit it or not, officiating is way better now than it ever was. You just didn't see the mistakes back in the day in standard definition with 3 camera angles and no slow mo.

You obviously learn certain teams and players as the year goes on just through association, but there’s no prepping and studying players/teams. Through officiating circles (I officiate high school and some NAIA baseball) I’ve met and talked to quite a few P5 basketball and baseball officials and I can tell you that’s false. First off, these aren’t full-time jobs. College officials still have day jobs and they sure as hell don’t sit around watching tape and taking notes on players trying to “even out the score” with vendettas or any other kind of subjectivity against guys like Davison. He’s a super douche bag, don’t get me wrong, but officials—especially at that level—take pride in not going one way or the other.

There’s a B1G referee whose son umpires NAIA/D3 in my area and comes to quite a few of his games, and he told me flat out he doesn’t even watch basketball on tv because between work and traveling to officiate games that’s the last thing he wants to sit and do. Just like football, basketball refs in those leagues are individually evaluated after each and every game, immediately after the game. The only difference now is that I’m sure it’s done via zoom. Different sport and not college, but Bruce Dreckman lives about a half hour from me and we've had a lot of good discussion on officiating and the public perception vs reality, I can guarantee you people don't understand the pressure and fragility of these guys' jobs.

Bottom line, there’s no conspiracy. Anyone who likes to criticize officiating at that level of sports should grab a whistle or face mask and hop into their local high school association and see what it’s like (every association across the country is hurting for people). The guys at P5 level have put literally decades into making it while having families and full time jobs, and there’s zero chance they’re purposely swaying a game a certain way or calling for/against a certain player.
If officials are going into games with open minds (which is almost certainly true) and are too busy to watch other games during the season (which is unquestionably true) and they are still nailing Grayson Davison every game than Brad is an even dirtier player upon further review.

Can I be the guy to say that "hook and hold" is stupid? One kid gets hurt and we now have to stop every game 5 times to see if one guy grabbed another? Come on. To me, hook and hold is a common foul. Now, hook, hold and jerk suggests someone trying to hurt another player and that crosses the line. But, guys get tangled up and it need not be a booth review every damn time.

To be clear, I am in favor of safety, but in the same way, every time someone's face gets brushed it is not a flagrant foul. If a guy is recklessly swinging elbows, then he should get nailed for it, but not every inadvertent face contact is even a foul, let alone deserves a long review.

The one rule change I love is the flop call.

This is a contact sport. That game was unwatchable at times due to the refs.

bias is certainly a real thing...

I am really trying to be objective and from what I saw davidson grabbed murrays arm and basically tried to con the ref into a foul call. In the old days it would have worked, but with replay not so much.

Gard buddy... they only called a foul on keegan as some kind of peace offering/keep it fair.

So you are mad when really they were being nice.. then called a BS jump ball the next play.

bias is certainly a real thing...

I am really trying to be objective and from what I saw davidson grabbed murrays arm and basically tried to con the ref into a foul call. In the old days it would have worked, but with replay not so much.

Gard buddy... they only called a foul on keegan as some kind of peace offering/keep it fair.

So you are mad when really they were being nice.. then called a BS jump ball the next play.
I'm not trying to say calls are always right or that refs are perfect. Like literally every other job out there some guys are better than others. Next time you go to the doctor remember that there was one guy or gal in each class in med school who finished dead last of all the people who passed their boards.

What I'm saying is that the conspiracy theorists barking about refs trying to sway the game a certain way or focusing on a certain player is garbage.

Latest posts