How severe punishment for Gard’s comments about refs?

what I don’t get is why the foul on Keegan at all if he was held on the hook and hold. That’s what made the call strange to me.
The way I understand it is that since the ref called it a foul on Murray to start with they couldn't then take it back after the fact via review.

Because yeah how a guy can flagrantly foul someone and then be simultaniously fouled himself makes no sense. But they had to stick with the wrong foul call since it was called first. They can add to the punishment via replay of a foul but not take away one. Once they blow the whistle that's just how it is... Ugh...

Hook and hold is the targeting of basketball. Sometimes it's blatant but most of the time it's grey.

I have to admit I was thinking during the game and have had this thought the last couple weeks, now that JBo's Iowa career is almost over, does Gard have any regrets about not offering him a scholarship?

JBo's two brothers that went to Wisky were calling Gard right up until signing day for JBo telling him if he didn't offer soon he would be signing elsewhere. Gard had evidently already made the decision he wanted a more athletic PG. Was that Trice? In doing so he had to somewhat alienate the Bohannon family. I noticed during the game yesterday the family didn't have on black and gold but neither did they Wisky red.

JBo had that game winning shot a couple years ago against Wisky but it felt like during the second half yesterday JBo willed the Hawks to that win. Paybacks? And, what if we play them again next Friday? Anybody worried about a 3rd game?

This I do agree with. But people need to understand it's an NCAA issue, not the officials. Refs are told they have to start enforcing those new ticky tack rules, and their jobs are obviously in jeopardy if they don't. The stoppages are ridiculous, but on the flipside it's people like in this thread who are constantly complaining who actually caused the problem in the first place. Media/coach/league pressure has pretty much forced the new style of officiating because people watching on TV have 37 different high def slow mo camera angles to replay a hundred times, and they lose their fucking minds if a call gets "missed" (which in basketball is a fool's errand because pretty much every call can go either way).

Sorry folks, whether people want to admit it or not, officiating is way better now than it ever was. You just didn't see the mistakes back in the day in standard definition with 3 camera angles and no slow mo.
Truer words have never been spoken here... We older folks with short memories can't seem to remember some of the bad calls but there's always been lots of them. Back then they just stuck with the original call right or wrong and moved on. Sure some belabored the worst of the worst but in some cases they didn't have the best camera angle or 4k picture to see it anyway.

Paybacks? And, what if we play them again next Friday? Anybody worried about a 3rd game?
Gard's comments about the officiating and suggesting Murray initiated that controversial "hook and hold" foul ought to be bulletin board material for the Hawks. To say nothing of paying Wisky back for all the dirty play, hand-checking. If Iowa can't get up for a possible third game then they don't deserve to advance in the conference tournament.

Payback should be ours.

I'm not trying to say calls are always right or that refs are perfect. Like literally every other job out there some guys are better than others. Next time you go to the doctor remember that there was one guy or gal in each class in med school who finished dead last of all the people who passed their boards.

What I'm saying is that the conspiracy theorists barking about refs trying to sway the game a certain way or focusing on a certain player is garbage.

yeah im talking about the bias of Gard... not the officials.

Can I be the guy to say that "hook and hold" is stupid? One kid gets hurt and we now have to stop every game 5 times to see if one guy grabbed another? Come on. To me, hook and hold is a common foul. Now, hook, hold and jerk suggests someone trying to hurt another player and that crosses the line. But, guys get tangled up and it need not be a booth review every damn time.

To be clear, I am in favor of safety, but in the same way, every time someone's face gets brushed it is not a flagrant foul. If a guy is recklessly swinging elbows, then he should get nailed for it, but not every inadvertent face contact is even a foul, let alone deserves a long review.

The one rule change I love is the flop call.

This is a contact sport. That game was unwatchable at times due to the refs.
I'm ok with it being a rule. It's hurt some guys and it's just something that should be cut out of the game. I don't think coaches are teaching it as a tactic. (except maybe Gard now geesh) Instead of having refs trying to differentiate between which ones were worse then others just cut it all out.

What blew my mind about that game was with all the reviews they had the most obvious one where Garza got elbowed in the face and knocked down they didn't review. I mean dude was right there in front of it when it happened too. It's one thing to not call it but then to not review that after doing what all they'd already done?

bias is certainly a real thing...

I am really trying to be objective and from what I saw davidson grabbed murrays arm and basically tried to con the ref into a foul call. In the old days it would have worked, but with replay not so much.

Gard buddy... they only called a foul on keegan as some kind of peace offering/keep it fair.

So you are mad when really they were being nice.. then called a BS jump ball the next play.
I dont think they could overturn the call that had already been made against Keegan which is why they stayed with it but added the flagrant to the DB BD

Truer words have never been spoken here... We older folks with short memories can't seem to remember some of the bad calls but there's always been lots of them. Back then they just stuck with the original call right or wrong and moved on. Sure some belabored the worst of the worst but in some cases they didn't have the best camera angle or 4k picture to see it anyway.
Hah they still dont have 4K pictures, shit's broadcast in 720P still and the little TV monitors look like they're 480. Still an improvement though and your point stands.

Brad Davidson created his image through previous dirty play. Guess what...if he does dirty and borderline stuff for three years...he's going to get a rep. The reality is he did the hook and hold to try and get a foul. He's programmed to do that...it's the way he plays.

I watched two Wisconsin games a week ago...in the two games...Davidson had three plays reviewed for elbows. Two were of the variety where he goes to the basket and clears with the off arm. I think one was called a flagrant 1. The point is that he's doing it on purpose. I'm not saying others don't clear, but he's the one making contact to the face.

He pushes the envelope...and when he does that...sometimes you get burned.

Their coach needs to shut his pie hole. Hearing Wisconsin talk about the officiating is rich...we have constantly gotten homered on their floor. Everyone is complaining about the Davidson play...well...why is no one talking about the tie up with Bohannon the play before...the Wisconsin play never had his hands on the ball...not once. How is that a tie up and not a no call or foul?

Everyone is complaining about the Davidson play...well...why is no one talking about the tie up with Bohannon the play before...the Wisconsin play never had his hands on the ball...not once. How is that a tie up and not a no call or foul?

Yep. Was screaming at the TV when that was called a tie up. Bohannon was mugged on that play but nothing called. Saw it in real time, confirmed on the broadcast replay.

Their coach needs to shut his pie hole.
I 100% agree with Gard about all the video review, though. Coaches should get a certain number like 1 per half, and then in the last 4:00 or so, any other reviews should be at the discretion of a league official in the booth. Give the coaches a foam brick like they do in wrestling or a button they can push or something, and be done with it. Used your one review already that half? Tough shit. Throw the brick when you don't have one left? Technical just like calling a TO you don't have.

The last 1:08 took 24 minutes in real time last night. No one could possibly get any momentum...it's ridiculous.

You're a HS coach...can you and I agree that any officials wearing shorts during a contest in any sport should serve two weeks in jail, be permanently banned from whatever sport it is they work, and be fined $1,000 towards a fund that goes to pay for pants of new officials?
Well in soccer then you'd have a whole bunch of us in jail and no matches. For some of youse Luddites I suppose that would be just fine.

Well in soccer then you'd have a whole bunch of us in jail and no matches. For some of youse Luddites I suppose that would be just fine.
Who's Soccer? Never heard of her...

Any event that consists of a bunch of middle distance runners falling down and faking broken legs/heart attacks/stabbings/gunshot wounds isn't a sport. It's theatre...

I've seen GoPros of soldiers on YouTube get shot with rifles who don't go down as hard as kick ball dorks.

Was this sniper round from a grassy knoll somewhere? Looks like it hit him right in the brain stem.

e03f1e20910f51f4b2a7168da98fbc72.gif

Hah they still dont have 4K pictures, shit's broadcast in 720P still and the little TV monitors look like they're 480. Still an improvement though and your point stands.

I 100% agree with Gard about all the video review, though. Coaches should get a certain number like 1 per half, and then in the last 4:00 or so, any other reviews should be at the discretion of a league official in the booth. Give the coaches a foam brick like they do in wrestling or a button they can push or something, and be done with it. Used your one review already that half? Tough shit. Throw the brick when you don't have one left? Technical just like calling a TO you don't have.

The last 1:08 took 24 minutes in real time last night. No one could possibly get any momentum...it's ridiculous.
It felt even longer then that too... It was excruciating. Could you imagine if the championship game were to have something like that happen? Just F off with that

Latest posts