Report: B1G Cancels Fall Football Season

Brilliant. "We're going to just go ahead and wait until the height of cold and flu season to start the season. We went to college and have big brains."

The only way this gambit works is if Orange Man loses and the fake news dials its rhetoric back by like 97% and people just sorta forget about The Germ by February or so.

Brilliant. "We're going to just go ahead and wait until the height of cold and flu season to start the season. We went to college and have big brains."

The only way this gambit works is if Orange Man loses and the fake news dials its rhetoric back by like 97% and people just sorta forget about The Germ by February or so.
If Orange Man loses The Germ will be over Nov. 4. If that happens any reason the season couldn’t start Nov. 7?

Absolutely...but it also gives them a great excuse to leave. Potentially a great opportunity to leave the BIG 10 for another conference where they might be competitive without having to come out and say "our tradition is too strong for us not to be competing for division titles year in and year out in the BIG 10 so we have decided to leave the conference with the hope of finding a conference where we might eventually be relevant again".

Destination = MAC!

If Orange Man loses The Germ will be over Nov. 4. If that happens any reason the season couldn’t start Nov. 7?

I like how the school quarters in a bunch of major cities end on November 6 and that first quarter is all that is cancelled thus far in a bunch of places.

if OrangeManWin = perpetual strike
if OrangeManLose = Back2School

So....the season wasn’t canceled, at least not yet??? Am I understanding this correctly?

My guess is that the B1G reached some sort of agreement in principle to cancel the season. Then, a bunch of presidents got calls from pissed off donors on Monday morning and a bunch of coaches who don't have authority to bind the school spoke out and a bunch of players complained that "they weren't being heard." Then, the presidents started calling the B1G office and said "pull the story back" and so they did. I think the season is toast, but we are now in a quagmire of institutional dumbfuckery while someone tries to concoct "messaging" or some shit.

My guess is that the B1G reached some sort of agreement in principle to cancel the season. Then, a bunch of presidents got calls from pissed off donors on Monday morning and a bunch of coaches who don't have authority to bind the school spoke out and a bunch of players complained that "they weren't being heard." Then, the presidents started calling the B1G office and said "pull the story back" and so they did. I think the season is toast, but we are now in a quagmire of institutional dumbfuckery while someone tries to concoct "messaging" or some shit.

Agree. That story got out before they wanted and now they’re working on PR.

Let teams keep practicing, delay the season and then see what happens.

So we go from this^^^^^ to this about NFL players on Clay Travis this morning... "You’re making millions of dollars a year playing a sport you’d be playing anyway, they’d be playing it on the weekends. And they have to respect their country. If they don’t, frankly, if the NFL didn’t open I’d be very happy. If they don’t stand for their flag and stand strongly, I’d be very happy if they didn’t open.”

Does he realize the very same players that are working so hard may also be taking knees on Saturday's? I'm sorry but this has nothing to do with football or the athletes playing it. He doesn't give two shits about the student athletes. He only cares about the financial implications of what would happen if their were no season.

Why not a 6 game Division only schedule spread over 14 weeks? Does that make sense?? If a player doesn't want to play, let him opt out.

Isn't the concussion risk just as great? Players assume that risk all the time. It cannot be avoided.

I'm confused. If the player is willing to assume the risk after being given every opportunity to sit out, does that change it? In other words, let each player decide for himself?

What a mess

Why not a 6 game Division only schedule spread over 14 weeks? Does that make sense?? If a player doesn't want to play, let him opt out.

Isn't the concussion risk just as great? Players assume that risk all the time. It cannot be avoided.

I'm confused. If the player is willing to assume the risk after being given every opportunity to sit out, does that change it? In other words, let each player decide for himself?

What a mess

You forgot the part where in today's society the "willingness" to assume risk disappears the moment something bad happens and suddenly you have a legal issue out of something that appears to be very black and white.

I have familiarity regarding how the Iowa Golf Association handled COVID this year (I realize that golf and football are like apples and oranges).

The IGA conducted the normal number of state wide tournaments. Players who were not comfortable playing in the tournaments did not play at all.

Players who wanted to play signed a legal waiver waiving all rights to hold the IGA responsible if they catch the virus.

Perhaps one big difference is that most of the college football players are under the age of 21, and therefore are minors.

It's a mess.

I have familiarity regarding how the Iowa Golf Association handled COVID this year (I realize that golf and football are like apples and oranges).

The IGA conducted the normal number of state wide tournaments. Players who were not comfortable playing in the tournaments did not play at all.

Players who wanted to play signed a legal waiver waiving all rights to hold the IGA responsible if they catch the virus.

Perhaps one big difference is that most of the college football players are under the age of 21, and therefore are minors.

It's a mess.

You can sign a contract when you're 18. The problem with a waiver is it doesn't account for the people the person signing the waiver infects. Golf is a pretty low risk endeavor in terms of spreading The Germ. Football is not.

So we go from this^^^^^ to this about NFL players on Clay Travis this morning... "You’re making millions of dollars a year playing a sport you’d be playing anyway, they’d be playing it on the weekends. And they have to respect their country. If they don’t, frankly, if the NFL didn’t open I’d be very happy. If they don’t stand for their flag and stand strongly, I’d be very happy if they didn’t open.”

Does he realize the very same players that are working so hard may also be taking knees on Saturday's? I'm sorry but this has nothing to do with football or the athletes playing it. He doesn't give two shits about the student athletes. He only cares about the financial implications of what would happen if their were no season.
Nah, he just wants to be able to say that he gave us college football this fall. He doesn't care about the financial situations of schools.

Nah, he just wants to be able to say that he gave us college football this fall. He doesn't care about the financial situations of schools.

Him and everyone else of political clout just want to throw their two cents in the mix without being on the hook for anything that happens/could happen as a result. It's always nice being able to gamble with other peoples money when your not responsible for the outcome and can simply walk away with nothing invested.

It's a mess.

Under 18 is a minor, not 21.

Latest posts