Report: B1G Cancels Fall Football Season

It’s just posturing. nebraskans are good at it.

Absolutely...but it also gives them a great excuse to leave. Potentially a great opportunity to leave the BIG 10 for another conference where they might be competitive without having to come out and say "our tradition is too strong for us not to be competing for division titles year in and year out in the BIG 10 so we have decided to leave the conference with the hope of finding a conference where we might eventually be relevant again".

I'm really proud of the Big Ten. They put the health of the unpaid players ahead of the almighty dollar.

Not so proud of Iowa....apparently they were one of two schools out of 14 that voted to have a season. Nebraska was the other.

I predicted that there would be a season, but I really thought it would only be six games (division foes only). How wrong I was.

I see it differently. I see it as Nebraska and Iowa saying that conditions in terms of monitoring athletes and testing players is no different now then when the athletes returned to campus, so they "experimented" by bringing the players back there's really no difference between where things were when they were brought back to campus and where they are now.

IMO not sure I'd say that I applaud Iowa and Nebraska, but I'd rather read that they stand behind the idea of continuing to try to move forward then Harbaugh's quote about the reasons in which they could have played despite the fact his University was one of those that voted it down.

I honestly don't think public safety is the top priority, but rather the almighty dollar. They were getting too close to playing in empty stadiums and although they'd still get their TV revenue it's still a huge loss either way. I think this was about saving face and being the "good guys" to avoid potential lawsuits. I think it was as much about covering their asses as it was the safety of their athletes.

Absolutely...but it also gives them a great excuse to leave. Potentially a great opportunity to leave the BIG 10 for another conference where they might be competitive without having to come out and say "our tradition is too strong for us not to be competing for division titles year in and year out in the BIG 10 so we have decided to leave the conference with the hope of finding a conference where we might eventually be relevant again".
Frost and his staff are too stupid to realize that there aren't going to be teams active this fall for them to play. Even if the SEC did resume they have their own schedules to play. nebraska isn't some juggernaut that can just walk in the room and say, "Listen up, we wanna play football with you guys. We're nebraska, so obviously you want us in your conference."

Frost and his staff are too stupid to realize that there aren't going to be teams active this fall for them to play. Even if the SEC did resume they have their own schedules to play. nebraska isn't some juggernaut that can just walk in the room and say, "Listen up, we wanna play football with you guys. We're nebraska, so obviously you want us in your conference."

Totally agree, but if they want to leave the Big to find greener pastures (that probably aren't out there) they can be my guest. I'm guessing the Big would be far from begging them to stay.

Totally agree, but if they want to leave the Big to find greener pastures (that probably aren't out there) they can be my guest. I'm guessing the Big would be far from begging them to stay.
It's fun watching them struggle, though. Their fan base would love nothing more than to run home to their shitty Big 12 conference, and I'm against any and all things that make their fans feel good.

I still say get rid of Maryland and Buttgers, add Notre Dame in the West and Pitt in the East, and send Purdue to the East to even it out. This Covid shit would be as good a time as ever to tell MD and Rutgers "Thanks for the memories," and Notre Dame would now have a good excuse for joining a conference. Pitt would be icing on the cake because being in the East they could keep their rivalry series with Penn State and have it actually mean something. They'd be decent competition, and there would always be that scare factor of a huge, season-altering upset (TV ratings baby). Pitt vs Iowa games are always a hoot, too. Way more competitive than either of those two coastal towns' teams.

Let's get it done.

It's fun watching them struggle, though. Their fan base would love nothing more than to run home to their shitty Big 12 conference, and I'm against any and all things that make their fans feel good.

I still say get rid of Maryland and Buttgers, and add Notre Dame in the West and Pitt in the East, and send Purdue to the East. This Covid shit would be as good a time as ever to tell MD and Rutgers "Thanks for the memories," and Notre Dame would now have a good excuse for joining a conference. Pitt would be icing on the cake because being in the East they could keep their rivalry series with Penn State and have it actually mean something. They'd be decent competition, and there would always be that scare factor of a huge, season-altering upset (TV ratings baby).

Let's get it done.

True, but I'm in the ND had their chance crowd. Zero desire to bring them in, but like the idea of Pitt.

Yes, but if there was ever a time to have Nebraska join your conference it would be now when they can't send their convoy of toothless hillbillies all over the place. The only thing worse than Nebraska fans are Nebraska fans coming up to your tailgate and saying how classy their fanbase is. I haven't been to an Iowa-Nebraska game at Kinnick and I'm sure they don't do it there because of the black Friday atmosphere, balls cold and the fact that Iowa fans know it is a load of shit, but I was at their first game in Evanston and it was the biggest group of goofball fucksticks I've ever seen gathered in one place. There were seriously like 25k Nebraska fans there and because NU has tailgate parking for maybe 2,000 cars and the Northwestern ticket holders have them all, there were roving packs of Nebraska morons just wandering about. The cherry on top was my dad flew over to go to the game with one of his buddies who is a big Husker fan and he called me from the airport and said some moron Nebraska fan in a red sweatshirt with a big N on it was walking around O'Hare on Sunday dropping N-bombs all over the place and he almost got his face broken. My dad got it on a grainy cell phone video and it was quite a sight.

True, but I'm in the ND had their chance crowd. Zero desire to bring them in, but like the idea of Pitt.
The B10W is totally irrelevant. Wisconsin is the only perennially good team, and even they step on their dicks once in a while. Our division is a redheaded step child and we need more than one team to make it even remotely respected. I'm not a fan at all of Notre Dame, but Brian Kelly has got it figured out now and would give Wisconsin an actual competitor. As with nebraska, even though I don't like a team it can still be advantageous to have in the mix.

As long as hoops stays on (maybe start in Jan?). I think this actually works in our favor, IF season played in Spring...Being 'developmental' school...more time to practice, weight-train, etc, the better. Especially with new QB.

Any chance we can claim a NC? I'll settle for a division or conference championship? I mean its only right since we voted to play. I'm sure the other schools will hold that against us in terms of recruiting so I say run with it. Nebby can claim the sellout streak continues, but due to lack of any sort of recent success on the field they get no claim to any sort of titles.

How about Iowa, Nebraska, Iowa State all play best record out of three against each other with the two top teams playing one last game against each other.

Iowa 7-0
Iowa State 3-4
Nebraska 0-7 Nebraska will wish they have stayed home and claimed COVID 19 since you won’t see that many points (19) against either one of two Iowa teams. :D

haha, like u 2 were the only ones remotely seeing this happen.

wait a month and see where school openings are at.

and i will say it that this bad infection rate could have been much lower if just 2 people trump and McConnell would have got yheir heads out of their asses 4 months ago. and what i am saying directly impacts hawkeye sports, the UI, etc.

they could have passed the House 3 trillion latest relief plan 2 months ago, got stupidd governors closing down to drop infection rates way down, totally ramped up fast testing and isolation...

and u could have had your awesome football

I still say get rid of Maryland and Buttgers, add Notre Dame in the West and Pitt in the East, and send Purdue to the East to even it out. This Covid shit would be as good a time as ever to tell MD and Rutgers "Thanks for the memories," and Notre Dame would now have a good excuse for joining a conference. Pitt would be icing on the cake because being in the East they could keep their rivalry series with Penn State and have it actually mean something. They'd be decent competition, and there would always be that scare factor of a huge, season-altering upset (TV ratings baby). Pitt vs Iowa games are always a hoot, too. Way more competitive than either of those two coastal towns' teams.

Let's get it done.
There's way too much logic to any of this for it to ever get done... But if the BIG actually gave a shit about what matters it's what they'd try to do. ND may still be douche bags and hold out but at least put the ball in their court to say no. Make them say it.

I'm not so sure the SEC teams wouldn't line up to play Nebraska. It would be hilarious to see Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and LSU schedule them on successive weekends as the "and one". Playing Nebraska for an elite program is like scheduling a mid level MAC team. I mean, come on, they haven't beaten Iowa in 6 years now.

Yes, you can. But you shouldn't be surprised. When you have hardcore right wingers like me and hardcore anarcho communist fascists like Fryowa both saying there isn't going to be a season, you should take heed. This news should surprise no one on HN.
What I dont get is if masks stopped the spread why not have mandatory masking and play on??

Latest posts