Will We Have Football in the Fall?

Will we have a football season this fall?

• Season Cancelled

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Games played with no fans

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Games played with some fans

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Games played as normal

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some diss the racing thing, but it takes a hell of a lot of hand/eye/foot coordination. When you see in person at a super speedway like Daytona the cars bumper to bumper at those speeds is just incredible. And for those who never have been, you would find the level of banking in the turns at a Daytona quite amazing. You can't get the same feel for it watching on tv, but those turns are banked. Something like 3 stories bottom to top. And they obviously do basically cheat death or try to.

I haven't been to Dega or Daletona yet. I was gonna do Dega this past April, but The Germ shut down my plans.

I've been to the last two races at Darlington. That track is great. You can't appreciate the difficulty of the track until you see it. One end has a huge sweeping turn and the other end is way narrower of a turn. One guy wouldn't sell his piece of land so they had to design the track so it didn't encroach on his land. Have you been to Bristol? That's my favorite of the tracks I've been too. Western NC and Eastern Tennessee is just such a beautiful part of the country.

He over-revved the sonovabitch and blew the engine on purpose!

I don't know a lot about racing but I do know that if I want to drop the hammer in my 6-speed challenger I'm shifting down, not up (unless redlined of course)

Not to mention in racing, the hammer is always dropped.

Best ASSCAR movie of all time is Talladega Nights. It's the only one that's even remotely accurate regarding the hillbilly idiocy.
Talladega nights is good. But if you want to see an accurate representation of their hillbilly idiocy, you gotta watch the South Park episode where Cartman becomes a nascar driver.

I know some diss the racing thing, but it takes a hell of a lot of hand/eye/foot coordination. When you see in person at a super speedway like Daytona the cars bumper to bumper at those speeds is just incredible. And for those who never have been, you would find the level of banking in the turns at a Daytona quite amazing. You can't get the same feel for it watching on tv, but those turns are banked. Something like 3 stories bottom to top. And they obviously do basically cheat death or try to.
I have no doubt about the required talent and physical shape the drivers are in, I just find it boring to watch as I'm sure plenty of other people would find some e-sports I watch boring. I bet attending a race would be fun as hell though.

With no actual sports on some e-sports have given me a little bit of entertainment at least!

I know I'm exposed to him more than other U presidents and ADs around the country because I live in Iowa, but he seems to be a repeat offender of the mixed messages and throwing crap at the wall that's driving me nuts. He can't help himself. He has a big mouth and craves attention.

He's certainly getting attention. It seems that Iowa State is featured in USA Today articles nearly every day (sometimes more than once per day). And in the real USA Today, not just in the Des Moines Register sports section that borrows heavily from it.

At the end of the day the NCAA is Boss Hogg of all collegiate sports.

Let's just say hypothetically that the SEC (or any conference) is the only P5 that wants to try andplay football...

The NCAA has every single card in the deck in their pockets. They could un-sanction sports and athletes. Pull revenue. Influence advertisers. They could pseudo-ban officials from working the games by blackballing them in the future (whether overtly or implied). And the minute the NCAA made a public statement saying gathering for practices or games is dangerous to student health the whole thing would get shit-canned. You think any athletes are going to step on a field or court if the NCAA says if they do they'll get banned from collegiate sports?

The NCAA has the power to put any conference or school on a desolate island all by itself with no money or public support. It's a huge, multi-billion dollar corporation and no school or conference is gonna stop it if it wants to do something.

I think we are going to find out just how much authority the NCAA really has. Lots of stakeholders are posturing. College presidents (e.g. West Virginia), governors, conference commissioners. Ultimately, it may be the negotiations with TV and new streaming services that makes the difference. That is where the biggest chunk of money sits.

I have no doubt about the required talent and physical shape the drivers are in, I just find it boring to watch as I'm sure plenty of other people would find some e-sports I watch boring. I bet attending a race would be fun as hell though.

With no actual sports on some e-sports have given me a little bit of entertainment at least!

I agree. I mostly quit watching once Earnhardt died and they went to what they called the Car of Tomorrow and really pushed those lame ass 1.5 mile tracks where they just basically got in line and followed each other. I maybe watch Daytona now and Talladega and that would be it for me.

I read an article describing what it was like to race once and it said you basically take every turn as fast as possible without spinning out. Said it was just like driving on ice.

I think we are going to find out just how much authority the NCAA really has. Lots of stakeholders are posturing. College presidents (e.g. West Virginia), governors, conference commissioners. Ultimately, it may be the negotiations with TV and new streaming services that makes the difference. That is where the biggest chunk of money sits.
Whichever organization plays into the court of public opinion which is that of being uber restrictive, will win (I am not arguing one way or the other, btw).

That organization happens to be the NCAA.

You have to remember that we as rabid college sports fans are in the minority. Most people don't follow it at all, most who do follow it do so casually, and the tiny minority are people like us who could name their entire football team's two-deeps along with their jersey numbers.

Whichever organization plays into the court of public opinion which is that of being uber restrictive, will win (I am not arguing one way or the other, btw).

You have to remember that we as rabid college sports fans are in the minority. Most people don't follow it at all, most who do follow it do so casually, and the tiny minority are people like us who could name their entire football team's two-deeps along with their jersey numbers.

The court of public opinion varies regionally, the NCAA won't prohibit football, and rabid college football fans are in the vast majority in the deep south. If a southern governor unilaterally pulled the plug on college football, s/he wouldn't make it out of the primary in 2022. And that's not a judgment call or a prognostication on whether it's wise to play or not, it's just that if some governor shut down Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, or Clemson football, even if such decision was in hindsight perfectly reasonable, they'd get absolutely crushed in the next election.

In other news rumblings in Ames are indicating that ISU has decided that due to the Covid 19 Pandemic, and the changing of the college football landscape, they will remain mediocre and will not contend for conference championships or being nationally relevant.

It isn't "rabid fans" v. the NCAA. It is university presidents, conferences, TV, and streaming services v. the NCAA. Rabid fans may not overpower the NCAA, but others might. We will see.

In other news rumblings in Ames are indicating that ISU has decided that due to the Covid 19 Pandemic, and the changing of the college football landscape, they will remain mediocre and will not contend for conference championships or being nationally relevant.
And Allan Lazard will still tweet negative garbage about Iowa getting whipped in the Rose bowl while he is sitting at home on his living room couch.

Funny, most players would rather be playing on or near New year's day, especially those from power conferences.

Wow, Jackie Stewart doing Nascar analysis back in the day. I forgot that he did that. Of course he came from road courses and F1 and then I think the only ovals he raced was Indy and maybe the old USAC Indy circuit. But he could drive. There is a really neat documentary on him I watched about his F1 years and especially Monaco.

I and my brothers and friends watched a good amount of nascar back in the 60's because it was televised quite a bit. And they had stock car races all the time at the Iowa State Fairgrounds we could easily go see. Lot's of street drag racing and car club racing back in those days and lot's of people modifying their own cars as you know.

But I really became a more open wheel indy and F1 fan back then. No bumping and grinding of cars but pure precision racing. If you bumped wheels or cars you were very likely going to crash. It will be a big deal to not see Indy this year. The start at Indy is amazing even on tv as those cars try to dive into turn one and of course there were some horrific crashes at that start back in the day.

And Indy car especially even more than F1 has so much passing and position changes. I think it is amazing now to see even cars 4 wide going down the straights at Indy and 3 wide at Michigan etc.

My dad took my brother and I to a closed circuit TV of a mid to early 1960's Indy 500 at the old KRNT theater in Des Moines. No commercials, various camera angles and about 2000 people sitting in the dark theater cheering their favorite drivers.

SIAP, will the Ncaa and conferences want to enlarge squad sizes and add maybe 10 scholarships per team per year for a couple of years to allow for a glut of freshmen in 2021, if there is a season even then? Money wise even going to have some half scholarships for a few years. Otherwise there will be the graduates of 2020 and 2021 who will all be going into fall practice in August 2021 trying to get playing time.

And maybe redshirt rules will need to be loosened a bit to allow a much higher number of really good players to start on rosters the same year yet maybe have two redshirt years in their first 4 years to allow them to try to get playing time before their normal 4 years of playing time in 5 years is used up.

And without this type of change in the rules how many pretty good high school players will not get an offer or choose to not even play. Delaying starting your college career doesn't seem to be a good choice unless these types of rules are loosened a bit.

I read an article describing what it was like to race once and it said you basically take every turn as fast as possible without spinning out. Said it was just like driving on ice.
I'm not a racing fan per se, but probably would classify as a driving enthusiast.

I haven't actually raced, but I have driven sports cars on tracks a few times, and would do it a lot more but it's a time consuming and expensive hobby - good racing tires are ridiculously expensive and don't last.

I think most people would be surprised at how violent it is in the cockpit. You can't really appreciate it watching it from outside the car, but the repeated hard braking and acceleration is much more physically demanding than most would think. I've taken some friends out on back roads and "bent" a few laws in the process. I think it's fair to say that most of them were fairly rattled by the time we were done.

I and my brothers and friends watched a good amount of nascar back in the 60's because it was televised quite a bit. And they had stock car races all the time at the Iowa State Fairgrounds we could easily go see. Lot's of street drag racing and car club racing back in those days and lot's of people modifying their own cars as you know.

But I really became a more open wheel indy and F1 fan back then. No bumping and grinding of cars but pure precision racing. If you bumped wheels or cars you were very likely going to crash. It will be a big deal to not see Indy this year. The start at Indy is amazing even on tv as those cars try to dive into turn one and of course there were some horrific crashes at that start back in the day.

And Indy car especially even more than F1 has so much passing and position changes. I think it is amazing now to see even cars 4 wide going down the straights at Indy and 3 wide at Michigan etc.

My dad took my brother and I to a closed circuit TV of a mid to early 1960's Indy 500 at the old KRNT theater in Des Moines. No commercials, various camera angles and about 2000 people sitting in the dark theater cheering their favorite drivers.

Me and my old man used to go to the Iowa State Fairgrounds, Knoxville or Boone almost every nice summer weekend in the late '80's and early '90's. The Fairgrounds had the local dudes who tinkered in their garage, Knoxville had the best sprint car drivers and Boone had really great modified racing and a great regional draw. It was great. Central Iowa had great local racing back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts