Will We Have Football in the Fall?

Will we have a football season this fall?

• Season Cancelled

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Games played with no fans

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Games played with some fans

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Games played as normal

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Make no mistake, JP cut his teeth under Barry, who might be the biggest "everyone, over here, look at me" AD in the history of ADs....so it stands to reason that JP has managed to follow in those footsteps.

Barry can be that guy, though. He's got top tier bowls, top 10 football teams and probably the 2nd best program in the conference over a decade long period, and Final Four banners to back it up. You can hate on Barry, but the guy's results speak for themselves. Do I think Barry is a douche and possibly a slimeball? Yes, definitely. But the guy loves Wisconsin. These admin roles have all been overtaken by absolute douchevalves who have virtually no institutional loyalty and Barry ain't that guy, which is a big reason I respect the shit out of him.

Long Read but some good information in it. Pretty much outlines the problems with having a college football season. I think there will be one, but it won't be the current schedule of games. Nobody has discussed conference championship games, bowl games, or college football playoff. My guest is the AD's want to squeeze in as many games as they could in a shortened period of time.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/14/college-football-2020-season-ncaa-future

Make no mistake, JP cut his teeth under Barry, who might be the biggest "everyone, over here, look at me" AD in the history of ADs....so it stands to reason that JP has managed to follow in those footsteps.

But don't you have to be that guy to be the ISU AD? You are dealing with a fan base that has a fragile psyche and low self esteem that loves to play the "everyone is out to get us" card. If it takes being a little douchey to rally the troops don't you do it? Not a defender of everything Barta, but I am glad he doesn't have to play that role.

Are all leagues done using scab players if existing players refuse to go? Just wondering if will ever have that deal in a pro league again.
I know I'm exposed to him more than other U presidents and ADs around the country because I live in Iowa, but he seems to be a repeat offender of the mixed messages and throwing crap at the wall that's driving me nuts. He can't help himself. He has a big mouth and craves attention.

That muffed punt, the rain delay, COVID.....................all cramping Jamie's mo mo.

No NASCAR at Iowa Speedway in Newton this year.

Man, that stinks. Newton is by far the best of the new (constructed in building boom since 1990) tracks. No matter what the current schedule says, they're probably going to end up having to run everything in NC, SC, GA, AL, FL and TN.

I know nothing about racing. Do certain tracks favor particular drivers? Like will racing at a limited number of tracks help certain drivers?

I know nothing about racing. Do certain tracks favor particular drivers? Like will racing at a limited number of tracks help certain drivers?
Absolutely. In the era that I followed the closest, Rusty Wallace thrived on tracks less than a mile in length. In 1993 when Dale Sr. won the points title Wallace actually won more races than Dale that year (ten to eight). Rusty's spectacular wrecks that year at Daytona and Talledega probably cost him the championship.

Which brings us to Earnhardt, who thrived on superspeedways (1.5 miles or more), even though it took him until forever to finally win a Daytona 500. Dale knew how to hook up to another car at 190 MPH, get both of them moving a bit faster by pushing the air between them, then pick the precise moment to use the draft and shoot past them.

Jeff Gordon was a master on any track, and had to be respected, even is he wasn't necessarily always liked.

The Petty's, Richard and Kyle, thrived on mid sized tracks like Darlington, Rockingham, and Dover.

Nowadays I don't think the drivers are as important as they once were. Advances in pit stop technology and the role of spotters have thrust the pit crews into the spotlight more than ever in modern NASCAR.

Last edited:
Absolutely. In the era that I followed the closest, Rusty Wallace thrived on tracks less than a mile in length. In 1993 when Dale Sr. won the points title Wallace actually won more races than Dale that year (ten to eight). Rusty's spectacular wrecks that year at Daytona and Talledega probably cost him the championship.

Which brings us to Earnhardt, who thrived on superspeedways (1.5 miles or more), even though it took him until forever to finally win a Daytona 500. Dale knew how to hook up to another car at 190 MPH, get both of them moving a bit faster by pushing the air between them, then pick the precise moment to use the draft and shoot past them.

Jeff Gordon was a master on any track, and had to be respected, even is he wasn't necessarily always liked.

The Petty's, Richard and Kyle, thrived on mid sized tracks like Darlington, Rockingham, and Dover.

Nowadays I don't think the drivers are as important as they once were. Advances in pit stop technology and the role of spotters have thrust the pit crews into the spotlight more than ever in modern NASCAR.

Today it's all engineering. The sport appears on its face to be exceedingly simple, but there are all sorts of inputs on the car that can make it 1/10000ths of a second faster per lap. They have figured out every single variable that impacts the car and engineered the hell out of each one. They are spending tens of thousands of dollars to figure out how to flex one little piece of the body under load or to engineer a suspension component to move air a couple of degrees in a different direction to produce less drag or more grip. It is just insane what goes into those cars now. The big teams have over 100 engineers each and hyper specialization of every part of the car. "There ain't nothin' stock about a stock car."

Thanks. I wonder about advantages during altered sports seasons. Obviously a season with no fans would, in theory, hurt Iowa football than Illinois or Indiana. In the end, it often comes down to talent, but there’s a reason it’s called home-field advantage.

Today it's all engineering. The sport appears on its face to be exceedingly simple, but there are all sorts of inputs on the car that can make it 1/10000ths of a second faster per lap. They have figured out every single variable that impacts the car and engineered the hell out of each one. They are spending tens of thousands of dollars to figure out how to flex one little piece of the body under load or to engineer a suspension component to move air a couple of degrees in a different direction to produce less drag or more grip. It is just insane what goes into those cars now. The big teams have over 100 engineers each and hyper specialization of every part of the car. "There ain't nothin' stock about a stock car."
Days of Thunder is one of my all-time favorites :)

Days of Thunder is one of my all-time favorites :)

I'm wearing my "46 City Chevy" shirt at work today. Was gonna wear my Darlington shirt, but I gotta save that for Sunday and I ain't sure if Ma is gonna do laundry tonight or tomorrow.

"Trust me doc, any damage to his brain is bound to be minor."

Question - in this clip, it appears that Cole shifts from 3rd to 4th gear when he "drops the hammer." In what world is it possible to run a lap at Charlotte in 3rd gear? You'd blow the damned motor before the end of the backstretch.

Question - in this clip, it appears that Cole shifts from 3rd to 4th gear when he "drops the hammer." In what world is it possible to run a lap at Charlotte in 3rd gear? You'd blow the damned motor before the end of the backstretch.

He over-revved the sonovabitch and blew the engine on purpose!

I don't know a lot about racing but I do know that if I want to drop the hammer in my 6-speed challenger I'm shifting down, not up (unless redlined of course)

Here's a clip of Kyle Larson meeting his new teammates. This was before the livestream racial slur but I have to admit I'm seeing a pattern here. Shame...

I know some diss the racing thing, but it takes a hell of a lot of hand/eye/foot coordination. When you see in person at a super speedway like Daytona the cars bumper to bumper at those speeds is just incredible. And for those who never have been, you would find the level of banking in the turns at a Daytona quite amazing. You can't get the same feel for it watching on tv, but those turns are banked. Something like 3 stories bottom to top. And they obviously do basically cheat death or try to.

Status
Not open for further replies.