Will We Have Football in the Fall?

Will we have a football season this fall?

• Season Cancelled

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Games played with no fans

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Games played with some fans

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Games played as normal

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question, if we don't have a season do the players lose their eligibility if they already redshirted? If they don't it could really create a log jam for players coming out of high school and those granted another year in college. Another interesting dynamic that could create a serious problem.

Even the SEC would have to pull the plug if the NCAA said so. They'd lose too much money. No way the NCAA would allow one P5 conference to continue and risk the public shit storm that would follow. And the first time a player with deep-pocketed parents sues the SEC and NCAA as co-respondents because their kid got sick, any benefit to playing football would be gone.

I agree that the threat of litigation certainly presents a roadblock. What I'd like to know is what is the NCAAs true role in college football. It's different than it is in college basketball, but to what extent, I don't know.

I agree that the threat of litigation certainly presents a roadblock. What I'd like to know is what is the NCAAs true role in college football. It's different than it is in college basketball, but to what extent, I don't know.
At the end of the day the NCAA is Boss Hogg of all collegiate sports.

Let's just say hypothetically that the SEC (or any conference) is the only P5 that wants to try andplay football...

The NCAA has every single card in the deck in their pockets. They could un-sanction sports and athletes. Pull revenue. Influence advertisers. They could pseudo-ban officials from working the games by blackballing them in the future (whether overtly or implied). And the minute the NCAA made a public statement saying gathering for practices or games is dangerous to student health the whole thing would get shit-canned. You think any athletes are going to step on a field or court if the NCAA says if they do they'll get banned from collegiate sports?

The NCAA has the power to put any conference or school on a desolate island all by itself with no money or public support. It's a huge, multi-billion dollar corporation and no school or conference is gonna stop it if it wants to do something.

Even the SEC would have to pull the plug if the NCAA said so. They'd lose too much money. No way the NCAA would allow one P5 conference to continue and risk the public shit storm that would follow. And the first time a player with deep-pocketed parents sues the SEC and NCAA as co-respondents because their kid got sick, any benefit to playing football would be gone.
Not sure how you could prove the kid got sick from playing football.

Not sure how you could prove the kid got sick from playing football.
I could also spill coffee on myself that I know is boiling hot and win $640,000 from McDonald's.

If parents thought there was a buck to be made it'll happen.

"My son was pressured to play..."

"The school didn't sanitize locker rooms properly..."

"My son felt feverish but the staff told him he was okay to practice..."

"The staff neglected its duty by failing to discover that the hotel they stayed at prior to the Georgia game had 3 employees who had tested positive..."

Could go on for days. Frivolous or not, win or lose, lawsuits cost money. Lots and lots and lots of money.

At the end of the day the NCAA is Boss Hogg of all collegiate sports.

Let's just say hypothetically that the SEC (or any conference) is the only P5 that wants to try andplay football...

The NCAA has every single card in the deck in their pockets. They could un-sanction sports and athletes. Pull revenue. Influence advertisers. They could pseudo-ban officials from working the games by blackballing them in the future (whether overtly or implied). And the minute the NCAA made a public statement saying gathering for practices or games is dangerous to student health the whole thing would get shit-canned. You think any athletes are going to step on a field or court if the NCAA says if they do they'll get banned from collegiate sports?

The NCAA has the power to put any conference or school on a desolate island all by itself with no money or public support. It's a huge, multi-billion dollar corporation and no school or conference is gonna stop it if it wants to do something.

But at the end of the day, the NCAA works at the behest of the schools and conferences, not the other way around. They get next to no revenue from college football (unlike college basketball). So I think they're more limited in what they can do within the scope of college football. The conferences have a lot more say, from what I understand.

It will be very interesting to see the effect on officiating if basketball games are played in empty arenas.

Very interesting.

It takes a hell of a spine for a basketball official at any level to not be at least occasionally influenced by a home crowd. Few can work around it.

But at the end of the day, the NCAA works at the behest of the schools and conferences, not the other way around.
It might be that way in theory, but not in practice. If a kid fails a drug test or gets caught taking money, or rapes someone, the conference can obviously punish him but it's moot because the NCAA carries the big sledge hammer. They're the ones who impose sanctions on schools, vacate wins, ban players, hand out punishments, etc.

If the NCAA came out and said, "We think organized sports should not be played at the present time," and the SEC forged ahead, what do you think individual athletic departments are going to do if threatened with losing their NCAA membership? It's not like they're gonna give the NCAA the middle finger and have their own collegiate version of the XFL with a 14 team separate league.

I think people underestimate the power the NCAA has. It's staggering

It will be very interesting to see the effect on officiating if basketball games are played in empty arenas.

Very interesting.

It takes a hell of a spine for a basketball official at any level to not be at least occasionally influenced by a home crowd. Few can work around it.
Fran's yelling is equivalent to at least 4.7 student sections and those chairs/clipboards getting slammed on the floor are gonna be loud as shit with no crowd.

I actually thought it was incredibly likely for it to be shutdown in March, as much as I didn't want it to be and was surprised that it hadn't been yet. Watching the Big East tournament in a packed MSG was surreal with everything that was going on around it. I couldn't believe my eyes at the time.
That game happened to be in the worst location too. In hindsight.

I dont know Fry. I just checked out that wasteland link and I'm not sure that's for me. I've actually got a real life. I've always been a little embarrassed about how much time I spend on here, but my love for talking Hawkeye sports is too big to not want more than what I get out of real life. I enjoy talking all the other stuff, but only when the opportunity presents itself.

This was the perfect middle ground for discussing it in smaller doses. Choosing between actively going to a political board and never discussing it at all is a tough call, but I'm leaning towards never discussing it at all.

Very interesting.

The officials would actually hear the fouls too. There's no doubt the game would have better officiating. The only downside to that is with better officiating, we would have to watch ISU go undefeated and win a national title.

For Gods sake. The PUNISHMENT continues for ppl this dam virus doesn’t even effect. We are destroying everyone’s lives who is 20-60, to let a few 70 to 90 year olds perhaps live a few extra years

Full disclosure. I am 74. Your last sentence is one of the most cruel and insensitive statements I have ever read on HN. If you are fortunate enough to live as long as I have, you should really look back and consider what you have written. You will, if you develop a conscience at all, which now seems unlikely, regret will set in. Every year I spend on this planet has a value as great as any year you or anyone else exists. I see that others have liked your post. They are equally disgusting. You should all be ashamed.

The officials would actually hear the fouls too. There's no doubt the game would have better officiating. The only downside to that is with better officiating, we would have to watch ISU go undefeated and win a national title.
Benches/dugouts are infinitely more distracting too. Working games between two shitty teams where there’s only a handful of spectators drives me crazy because I can hear every little thing said in the dugouts. And a lot of it will piss you off. Coaches and players bitching under their breath about balls and strikes, etc. I’ve not done basketball and never will, but I have to imagine it’s way worse because blocks/charges are almost always a 50/50 judgement call.

I’d never ref basketball. Block/charge is like a banger at 1B that you’re pretty much guessing at, only you have 25 of them a game. I might only get one or two in a typical JV/V doubleheader.

Full disclosure. I am 74. Your last sentence is one of the most cruel and insensitive statements I have ever read on HN. If you are fortunate enough to live as long as I have, you should really look back and consider what you have written. You will, if you develop a conscience at all, which now seems unlikely, regret will set in. Every year I spend on this planet has a value as great as any year you or anyone else exists. I see that others have liked your post. They are equally disgusting. You should all be ashamed.
It’s not cruel and insensitive if he acknowledges that someday he’ll be in the 70-90 demographic. I know I do.

If I lived to be 70 there’s no fucking way I’d try to convince myself or anyone else that my life was just as “valuable” as a 20 year old’s.

At 70-90 it’s just a fact of nature that we’re less valuable to society. He’ll, I’m 39 and less value than a heart surgeon or a random 8 year old kid. It’s a cruel old world, homie.

BTW, Rob Howe. Just a thought. You have taken a strong stand against political discussions on HN. I agree. I would suggest that statements like the one Koralakers made, deserve a similar caveat.

Let's keep this one pertaining to sports so it doesn't turn into COVID thread 2.0 and get locked.

Also, as requested, I started a new forum for off-topic discussion with Hawkeye fans where everyone here can talk religion, politics, and COVID to their hearts' content.

Here ya go.
You're not the boss of me.

It’s not cruel and insensitive if he acknowledges that someday he’ll be in the 70-90 demographic. I know I do.

If I lived to be 70 there’s no fucking way I’d try to convince myself or anyone else that my life was just as “valuable” as a 20 year old’s.

At 70-90 it’s just a fact of nature that we’re less valuable to society. He’ll, I’m 39 and less value than a heart surgeon or a random 8 year old kid. It’s a cruel old world, homie.
Let's try to keep the discussion to sports. Mkay? Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts