Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evidently no one out there has any friends or family members who could loan or pick up toilet paper, bread, milk, if people DID get shut in for 2-4 weeks.

I've already had a good supply of paper towels so that'll work if need be. Worst comes to worst, can always use some rags etc. around the house and launder them. A little gross but gotta do what you've gotta do.

I still find it hilarious that everyone is rushing out to buy TP for a respiratory illness. The general public isn't too bright.

I've already had a good supply of paper towels so that'll work if need be. Worst comes to worst, can always use some rags etc. around the house and launder them. A little gross but gotta do what you've gotta do.

I still find it hilarious that everyone is rushing out to buy TP for a respiratory illness. The general public isn't too bright.

More concerning is how others blindly copy that behavior..without even pausing to think if it makes any sense. Sheeple. Unbelievable.

I work in healthcare, but I wouldn't use the term "worried." Diligent is probably more apropos in my case. Just trying to apply common sense, and if it happens, it happens.

Like others, I worry more about the high-risk group. We need to protect them as best we can.

What I find most fascinating about situations such as these is the how they reflect on human nature, in both good and bad ways.

On the one hand, we see the negatives: The selfish hoarding of basic necessities, the overt fighting over mundane objects such as rolls of toilet paper, the finger-pointing/blaming, etc., etc. On the positive side, we see professionals at all levels working extra hours to do whatever it takes to mitigate the effect on society and try to contain the spread.

A crisis can bring out the best and worst of us I guess. Kind of sobering at times.

now being reported half of ICU patients in Holland with CV are under 50 and in France half under 60.

One thing about the vaccine is you really don't want to rush it. They did that in the Philippines for Dengue fever and the vaccine started killing kids that hadn't had Dengue fever before. Don't believe me, look it up.

I voted yes on the question but I would say more concerned than worried. I am 60 years old but in good health. Like others, I worry more about relatives who are older and would have problems. We all have to be diligent and heed the warnings so this gets under control as soon as possible.

While I am concerned, I don't understand the hoarding and I have not personally stocked up on anything in any unusual way. Yes, it can bring out the worst in some....

I think the mad rush for toilet paper is people are fearing that they will be trapped up in their homes for a long time. I don't get the bottled water mad rush, just about every home, apartment and condo has faucets.

I think the mad rush for toilet paper is people are fearing that they will be trapped up in their homes for a long time. I don't get the bottled water mad rush, just about every home, apartment and condo has faucets.
My three millenial children, aged 22 19 and 16, probably have no memory of the last time they drank out of a kitchen faucet. But they will fight over water bottles at Dicks Sporting Goods like they are fashion statements or something.

Have we (this generation of parents including myself) wussed out our kids or what? I can remember going up to the nearest house when playing playground baseball and drinking out of their garden hose when we were thirsty. Didn't care who the neighbor was either. The idea of approaching a stranger's house to use their garden hose, as well as the idea of playing baseball at a public playground all day, have also been lost on today's youth. Then again I never had forums like this to babble on in my youth either.

~3,000 out of 320,000,000 people in this country are known to have the virus. I personally think a lot of what is going on is overreaction. The media wants to scare everyone because it increases clicks. You're not going to catch the virus by walking outside. Wash your hands, be aware of people around you who appear ill, avoid large crowds, etc. The people claiming millions in this country will die and that 70 to 80% of the population will eventually catch the virus are absolutely causing a lot of this chaos. That's not going to happen. Not even close.

~3,000 out of 320,000,000 people in this country are known to have the virus. I personally think a lot of what is going on is overreaction. The media wants to scare everyone because it increases clicks. You're not going to catch the virus by walking outside. Wash your hands, be aware of people around you who appear ill, avoid large crowds, etc. The people claiming millions in this country will die and that 70 to 80% of the population will eventually catch the virus are absolutely causing a lot of this chaos. That's not going to happen. Not even close.
I saw some idiot on Twitter trying to claim that 7mill to 15 million are going to die in the U.S. if people don't take this more seriously. So stupid. I do think a lot more people have it though, but that just shows how the mortality rate is lower.

I saw some idiot on Twitter trying to claim that 7mill to 15 million are going to die in the U.S. if people don't take this more seriously. So stupid. I do think a lot more people have it though, but that just shows how the mortality rate is lower.
I agree that the count of people who have it is vastly under counted. We (still) don't have widely available tests. But how to you know that the death toll is not under counted as well?

I agree that the count of people who have it is vastly under counted. We (still) don't have widely available tests. But how to you know that the death toll is not under counted as well?
Do you think they're not testing people dying from respiratory issues?

No, not particularly worried. I'm just trying to be smart about washing my hands, etc. The usual common sense stuff that we should all be practicing anyway.

Just for a little perspective, I'm in Florida and there is now a little over 100 cases statewide. Out of over 21+ million people. That's a miniscule percentage. Yes I realize it can and probably will spread somewhat, but still.

Not making light of anyone that DOES have it - but it's not quite Stephen King's The Stand we're talking about.

What scares me far more than any virus that's out there is the people. Panic buying, fighting in grocery stores, acting generally like savages.. Imagine if something REALLY happened, like a nuclear war or something really severe.

Just be smart, take the proper common sense precautions, and you'll be ok.

I would be concerned about my dad. He's 80 and has COPD but the place he lives in is on lockdown. No visitors. So hopefully it'll be fine there.
I have no doubt this is a serious issue. My problem is the hysteria that the media has glee in reporting. There is a positive new case in Dallas county!!! They make it sound like that person will die today! As if this is going to spread like a cloud down the street and we will all soon be infected. Someone on an earlier post said EVERYONE will get it? I don't believe that. Will it spread? Of course but if you take the necessary steps your chances of contracting arent very much. Precautions are a good thing but cancelling our whole lives seems a bit extreme.
I am not a doctor but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn.

I saw some idiot on Twitter trying to claim that 7mill to 15 million are going to die in the U.S. if people don't take this more seriously. So stupid. I do think a lot more people have it though, but that just shows how the mortality rate is lower.[/QUOTEIf

If you think about it China was hiding this illness for a while. Think about how many students from China probable have traveled to the US to almost every university in the country. Iowa City has an huge percentage of Chinese students. It's very possible the virus has been sweeping the country for quite some time.[/QUOTE]

I heard someone is telling people that the supply to most stores will be interrupted for some reason, I don't know why but that rumor is driving the sales of TP. I work at a pretty big retailer and we had pallets of the stuff and we're completely sold out. Happened so fast I never even got a chance to stock up. Hell, plenty of kleenex left if it comes to that. Wouldn't use paper towels, some of that stuff takes a while to decompose.

If you think about it China was hiding this illness for a while. Think about how many students from China probable have traveled to the US to almost every university in the country. Iowa City has an huge percentage of Chinese students. It's very possible the virus has been sweeping the country for quite some time.
I think you're correct. The social distancing might have a small effect on the rate of spread, but in the end, it's going to be widespread, and the mortality rate's probably going to be closer to the flu or even lower. I just wish people would have some long term memory. This fear mongering over a virus occurs every 2 or 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts