Murray Twins Commit to Iowa

After reading two articles on the Twins recruitment since last spring, Fran has been watching them for months.
Welcome aboard boys
Go Hawks!
Fran isn't ignorant when evaluating talent. And he isn't stupid enough to offer 2 spots in October to these guys without a good reason. I'm guessing he has witnessed a remarkable progress in growth and strength, along with substantial improvement in skill in a relatively short period of time. And so he decided to lock them up now while they are still under the radar, before someone else starts sniffing around and maybe they start sniffing back. This way in 3 years he won't have to read about how people can't believe he let Kenyon Murray's kids of all players get away!

Welcome to the HAWKS fellas!

Ya know, I'm not worried about scholarships, it will all work out, bring in a couple big men.

Some thoughts:
- Cordell could be gone, maybe he'll start at Drake in a year.
- George Kittle can pay for his bro-in-law Riley
- JBo could play a few games this year and then go for a medical redshirt
- I don't see Joe W going pro after this year, he's not and won't be ready
- There could be an injury or two
- God forbid, Fran may be called upon to do some major spin control
- People were worried we couldn't get any guards, we have two now and people still aren't happy
- We get some legacy twins and people aren't happy, going that prep school route isn't all bad, it worked for Nico Ragani.

Don't worry, be happy........
I agree, Joe W. will not go pro...NBA at least. He may test the waters again tho, and Europe or elsewhere is a possibility, but if given that choice, he will stay in Iowa.

Team chemistry counts for something in recruiting also. Teams like Gonzaga and Nevada and others were nobody's, until they played as a team, making up for a lack of *****5 star talent. KF does pretty well with ***3 stars, [tho we'd all like to see more wins] There are other factors that determine success on the hardwood.

I guess maybe you think its splitting hairs, but I think theres a pretty big difference between saying a class is a big failure and saying a class looks like it's going to be a pretty big failure. Right now there is no arguing that it looks like it will be a failure. But theres a pretty big argument against saying it is a failure. That argument is that they haven't even played a game yet.

I guess you could still argue that since Fran didn't get his first or second options, he failed at recruiting the class even if it does work out great in hindsight. But then I would counter argue that sometimes by the time a coach gets to his fallback, he actually ends up wanting them worse than his first choice anyway because of the improvement of said fallback. If we're lucky, that will be the case with at least a couple of these kids.
When I read about this recruiting class I thought it was for an NAIA school

Sorry. On teams that averaged 78.3, 83.5, 83.5 and 79.6 ppg Murray averaged 6.7, 12.3, 11.5 and 9.5.

He was usually the fourth or fifth best scorer on his team, despite being one of the two best athletes, along with Russ Millard.

He was far from a two way player.
He was a lockdown defender and good on the fast break, not a shooter that's for sure. He was a tweener.

Honest question.... when did we offer?

Sounds like the kids had a good tourney recently so maybe that sparked Fran's confidence to offer and get in early.

Or

They were fall back recruits knowing they were legacy recruits knowing they would accept on offer so when we missed on others we went this route.
That's why I just can't follow or put any stock into any of the recruiting coverage on any sites. All we ever read is how much the recruits "love Iowa, and see themselves fitting into Fran's style of play" then we never hear from them again. It is a testament to Fran, I guess, that he gets these kids on campus, but it's only for show and the kids are being polite. It's good to have a legacy on the team but 2? I have respect for Fran's eye for talent and I hope this works out, but he is going out on a limb here.

He was a lockdown defender and good on the fast break, not a shooter that's for sure. He was a tweener.
His HS hype, along with Roy Marble comparisons, raised the bar for him before he even set foot on campus.

I remember the year previous to his freshman year when Iowa was on ESPN and Dick Vitale, in Dicky V style, predicted that he would be an instant starter on a team that retuned Acie Earl, Chris Street, Val Barnes, James Winters, Wade Lookingbill, and other seasoned veterans.

I drove down to a preseason exhibition his freshman year. When I saw he much he was struggling physically I knew his roll would have to be slowed a bit.

Fran isn't ignorant when evaluating talent. And he isn't stupid enough to offer 2 spots in October to these guys without a good reason. I'm guessing he has witnessed a remarkable progress in growth and strength, along with substantial improvement in skill in a relatively short period of time. And so he decided to lock them up now while they are still under the radar, before someone else starts sniffing around and maybe they start sniffing back. This way in 3 years he won't have to read about how people can't believe he let Kenyon Murray's kids of all players get away!

Found this video where Patrick looks a good 3+ inches taller than them from all of 18 months ago. Since that time, they now stand about eye level and have 15-20 pounds on Patrick. They will also have over a year before they step on the court as Hawks. Certainly a lot can change in a short time...

Found this video where Patrick looks a good 3+ inches taller than them from all of 18 months ago. Since that time, they now stand about eye level and have 15-20 pounds on Patrick. They will also have over a year before they step on the court as Hawks. Certainly a lot can change in a short time...

I heard the twins compared to Uhl. Well, if nothing else, they're smoother shooters than he was.

Great way to sum up what we're all hoping!

I heard the twins compared to Uhl. Well, if nothing else, they're smoother shooters than he was.

I understand why people are trying to make that comp, but I don't like it. Uhl was athletic, but struggled with confidence as a shooter and always had a crazy hitch in his shot. I'd say the Murray's are coming from almost the opposite end of the spectrum. Not that they aren't athletic, but certainly less so than Uhl and they have a smooth shot that developed over 4 years of playing primarily at guard size in high school. If they kept that shot and got to Uhl's level of athleticism, we'd really have something.

Actually though, I'm going to stop with the Uhl comps and go with Baer. I think these two are a better comp to Baer. They won't know how to bang inside as well, as Baer played at PF all through high school, but they will be more comfortable with their shot. And the thing Fran praised about them is their basketball IQ, which was arguably Baer's greatest asset. The question then becomes, will they match his motor and defensive effort.

To be honest Kenyon never did live up to the hype. Remember he was on some McDonalds all American teams. And he might have been Mr basketball in MICHIGAN.

He did end up having a solid career but preferred to be the third or fourth scoring option. Couldn't hit a free throw to save his life.

Our old forum poster @lightning1, whose son played with the Murray twins at Prairie HS, once said neither was more than a mid major prospect.

Yeah, going by memory, Kenyon was more of a lock down defender than a true SCORER. Still a good player, absolutely, but definitely didn't live up to the extreme hype that I remember in the early 90's. For those who may not remember, his commitment was a pretty big deal. Offensively, he just never really came around the way people thought he would.

Last edited:

Latest posts