Murray Twins Commit to Iowa

This news seems depressing from a big picture aspect. I can say that even being a positive Iowa hoops fan. I loved Kenyon Murray and I am excited his kids are going to Iowa but one would think Fran's recruiting would be on an uptick at this point after recent successes. If Iowa doesn't get Foster and then in turn misses the dance this year, I don't know how this class can be looked at as anything other than a disappointment and a sign that things are in fact going the wrong direction.
Hopefully Fran can keep up the MoJo and run head to head with the a bit above average KF. Go Hawks!

To be honest Kenyon never did live up to the hype. Remember he was on some McDonalds all American teams. And he might have been Mr basketball in MICHIGAN.

He did end up having a solid career but preferred to be the third or fourth scoring option. Couldn't hit a free throw to save his life.

Our old forum poster @lightning1, whose son played with the Murray twins at Prairie HS, once said neither was more than a mid major prospect.

I thought the same thing. Kenyon was a great defensive player, remember he used to shadow guards all the way up the court, but he couldn't shoot at all. I believe he lost his starting job at some point because of poor offensive play.

I'm more bullish on Joe W coming back. I don't think he's quite explosive enough of an athlete to make the NBA at his position. Skill wise sure he can shoot and handle. But can he defend and get around those NBA guys? I dunno. Marble can't seem to be able to. Maybe Joe will prove me wrong a lot can change in a year.

Since Ulis had a Depaul offer, is that actually considered having a P-6 offer, since they reside in the Big East? Least I think they do.

Look, we have 4 lightly recruited kids coming to Iowa. The odds are, one of them will outproduce his recruiting ranking, one or two will play at about his recruiting ranking, and one will be a complete bust. That is treating the twins as distinct players of course.

That doesn't bode well for Fran and could seal his fate in a few years.

I'm more bullish on Joe W coming back. I don't think he's quite explosive enough of an athlete to make the NBA at his position. Skill wise sure he can shoot and handle. But can he defend and get around those NBA guys? I dunno. Marble can't seem to be able to. Maybe Joe will prove me wrong a lot can change in a year.
It’s always a two part question though. What the player actually projects as, and what the player actually thinks or hears from talent evaluators. Maybe a player is told by one scout that he’s a potential 2nd round pick, where 10 other scouts see him as an undrafted guy. Depending on the kid by the time it gets back to his friends and family that might be “ya I’m an early second round grade.” I’m not saying that’s Joe but the G league is littered with guys who went pro on the notion that they were going to be drafted and never were.

On the Joe Vs Marble comparison. Joe is a much more proficient shooter and much more advanced at a younger age. Marble seemed to operate better with the ball in his hands while Wieskamp with his 7’ wingspan and outside shot projects as an NBA 3 and D guy.

It’s always a two part question though. What the player actually projects as, and what the player actually thinks or hears from talent evaluators. Maybe a player is told by one scout that he’s a potential 2nd round pick, where 10 other scouts see him as an undrafted guy. Depending on the kid by the time it gets back to his friends and family that might be “ya I’m an early second round grade.” I’m not saying that’s Joe but the G league is littered with guys who went pro on the notion that they were going to be drafted and never were.

On the Joe Vs Marble comparison. Joe is a much more proficient shooter and much more advanced at a younger age. Marble seemed to operate better with the ball in his hands while Wieskamp with his 7’ wingspan and outside shot projects as an NBA 3 and D guy.

Is that really Joe's wingspan? That's one of the aspects scouts look closely at for projecting guys. Hell that's probably why Horton-Tucker was drafted even though he was arguably the 2nd or 3rd best college player in Ames last year.

The trend now is for guys to come out early regardless of whether or not they're going to be picked in the first round.

Three college seniors were drafted in the first round in '19.

Many players don't see coming back for their senior years, and junior years in some instances, as beneficial to their pro careers. And with the talk that the one-and-done rule could be going away, college upperclassmen are even more apt to jump early.

That doesn't mean it will happen with JW and LG. But that's the trend.

It is a 2 part Q I agree.
Marble with how the NBA game is I would think would have had a chance to be on a bench in the league. But he's not athletic enough it don't seem or consistent enough of a scorer. Joe is bigger then Marble ever was at Iowa already (Marble was a string bean his first 3 yrs pretty much) That will help Joe a lot too as when he drives he uses that to his advantage. They aren't the same player by any means but would play similar positions in the NBA I think. How Joe continues to develop will be fun to watch.

I should tread lightly, or lightningly, because it's none of my business, but he disappeared after a dispute on the forum over a local AAU coach and a transportation situation. Lightning then threw in a few pejoratives about the coach, and Rob got involved. That's as far as I'm going to go cause like I said, the rest is none of my business. Rob had previously warned lightning that he was on thin ice but any more is not my story to tell.

I miss his candor. More sensitive posters probably don't.
Eh it's always unfortunate when a poster leaves, I feel the more the merrier but let's not pretend that he wasn't a dick to almost everyone. He thought he knew everything and was terrible at having any semblance of a logical discussion. His style of discourse belongs on Facebook, not here.

I thought the same thing. Kenyon was a great defensive player, remember he used to shadow guards all the way up the court, but he couldn't shoot at all. I believe he lost his starting job at some point because of poor offensive play.

Must have worked on the shooting with his kids to correct for that. Their shot looks really clean, even the lefty, and I think they're between 87-90% free throw shooters. I don't think they're anywhere as athletic as Kenyon was though, but it also looked like they were still growing into their bodies in high school. Maybe a lot has changed. Two Kenyons with better shooting percentages would be awesome. Just really hope they bring the defense of a guy who finished his career as Iowa's all-time leader in steals.

For comparison
Kenyon's best shooting percentages at Iowa across his years
2pt: 60.4%
3pt: 32.5%
FT: 62.5%

Keegan:
2pt: 52%
3pt: 39.8%
FT: 87%

Kris:
2pt: 44%
3pt: 33%
FT: 90%

Eh it's always unfortunate when a poster leaves, I feel the more the merrier but let's not pretend that he wasn't a dick to almost everyone. He thought he knew everything and was terrible at having any semblance of a logical discussion. His style of discourse belongs on Facebook, not here.
If you could prove him wrong he was the first to admit it. When he lost his bet to @ingoodcompany he ponied up.

His honesty was old school and like I said not for everyone. If someone is offended by an exchange on an anonymous message board then perhaps message boards are not for them. People are always ten feet tall and bulletproof when they can hide behind a keyboard.

If you could prove him wrong he was the first to admit it. When he lost his bet to @ingoodcompany he ponied up.

His honesty was old school and like I said not for everyone. If someone is offended by an exchange on an anonymous message board then perhaps message boards are not for them. People are always ten feet tall and bulletproof when they can hide behind a keyboard.
LOL one time he admitted he was wrong in a bet? He better pay up for something like that. He never offended me, just never liked how he personally attacked others. If that's being sensitive then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.