Murray Twins Commit to Iowa

It confirms that Fran isn't a racist.
It also confirms that Fran isn't great at recruiting.

It doesn't confirm either. It's still possible he's doing it to throw us off the trail on how racist he actually is. It's also possible that these two improved a ton since last year and made offering them a no brainer. I'm gunna say that's unlikely. But it is possible.

This news seems depressing from a big picture aspect. I can say that even being a positive Iowa hoops fan. I loved Kenyon Murray and I am excited his kids are going to Iowa but one would think Fran's recruiting would be on an uptick at this point after recent successes. If Iowa doesn't get Foster and then in turn misses the dance this year, I don't know how this class can be looked at as anything other than a disappointment and a sign that things are in fact going the wrong direction.

I'm thinking the exact same thing.

I can see both of these kids redshirting this year in order to develop and add more muscle and weight. Long term, this will be a great get. Kenyon Murray was one of my fav players back in the day. They start with a great pedigree and are taller than their dad was. I would love it if they inherited his ball skills but in a taller body. I don’t really see this as affecting this recruiting cycle. We can still take Foster and Ogundele. Fran can always open up two schollies by paying for his boys. I don’t think Riley Till is worried about a schollie either since he comes from a well to do family. His mom is an analyst for BTN.

I'm gonna have a great day as an Iowa fan, I know that much! Listen I'm as down on Iowa basketball and Fran as anyone around here. Yet I do know that Fran isn't an idiot, and he does somewhat well with lower rated kids. I wouldn't be shocked if they perform like a Baer/Pemsl, Kriener, etc who are always essential to teams. You needs kids who are ok not being the studs of the team, accept more limited minutes, do the dirty work and are just good team players. Plus they could end up being a Marble, White, Jok, Bohannon all kids who had no high major offers so speak of really.

This is a very optimistic outlook. While I agree on your bolded take, we now have 4 commits in the class with exactly 0 other P5 offers. I would guess, pretty confidently, that there isn't another P5 program that has 4 or more commits without any other P5 offer.

I can see both of these kids redshirting this year in order to develop and add more muscle and weight. Long term, this will be a great get. Kenyon Murray was one of my fav players back in the day. They start with a great pedigree and are taller than their dad was. I would love it if they inherited his ball skills but in a taller body. I don’t really see this as affecting this recruiting cycle. We can still take Foster and Ogundele. Fran can always open up two schollies by paying for his boys. I don’t think Riley Till is worried about a schollie either since he comes from a well to do family. His mom is an analyst for BTN.

They went the prep school route for this year so they will basically already be RS frosh (age wise) when they join the program next year. I'm not sure an additional redshirt year on top of that is in the fold.

I don't think they are great scorers/shooters but hopefully their games will be somewhat like their Dads in they will be versatile defenders and good rebounders from the wings.

This is a very optimistic outlook. While I agree on your bolded take, we now have 4 commits in the class with exactly 0 other P5 offers. I would guess, pretty confidently, that there isn't another P5 program that has 4 or more commits without any other P5 offer.

That's kind of what I've been getting at. On paper, this is Fran's worst class by a mile and that's saying something.... it shouldn't be that way at this point. Now, I will say this....if Iowa makes the dance this year and also lands Foster I imagine the future isn't going to look as bleak... but it's hard to put a ton of spin on this class so far IMO.

The other scholarship question revolves around the possibility of Joe W. going pro. Like others have said there is a lot of flexibility for next year.

Is this a case of had to take both to get one of them? Is one significantly 'better' then the other? I know nothing about either besides who their Dad is. Him I watched back in the day and he was a typical Davis athletic defender might be Iowas career leader in steals. But wasn't much of a ball handler or shooter at all... But he made some big plays and it was fun watching him out there.

Personally this is a little bit of a bummer to me. Why do we need to fill a class with 4 borderline P5 recruits? If we do land Foster then I guess this class isn't a total failure but I dont understand how two kids that aren't even considered top 10 in the state ended up getting a scholarship. Why not take a flyer on Bowen Born if we were going this route. This feels a lot like the recruiting class that had saw Brandon Hutton and Andrew Fleming in it. And those kids were at least recruited by some P5 teams.

I hope these kids do develop and become great players but Fran doesn't have the track record like Ferentz of consistently developing under the radar recruits into major contributors.

To be honest Kenyon never did live up to the hype. Remember he was on some McDonalds all American teams. And he might have been Mr basketball in MICHIGAN.

He did end up having a solid career but preferred to be the third or fourth scoring option. Couldn't hit a free throw to save his life.

Our old forum poster @lightning1, whose son played with the Murray twins at Prairie HS, once said neither was more than a mid major prospect.

Question: Does Doyle train our B-ball players or does the b-ball team have their own weight trainer?

To be honest Kenyon never did live up to the hype. Remember he was on some McDonalds all American teams. And he might have been Mr basketball in MICHIGAN.

He did end up having a solid career but preferred to be the third or fourth scoring option. Couldn't hit a free throw to save his life.

Our old forum poster @lightning1, whose son played with the Murray twins at Prairie HS, once said neither was more than a mid major prospect.

Holy shit what happened to lightning? Haven't heard from that guy in awhile.

Disagree. Kenyon was a very good 2-way player. Trust Fran on these kids

Latest posts