Murray Twins Commit to Iowa

Kenyou Murray stands as the #23 all time leading scorer in Hawkeye history with 1230 points, 8 points ahead of Jordan Bohannon.

I thought we might be done with father/son(s) scoring when Dev Marble moved on but evidently not. If these guys develop at all they could make a run at some scoring lists. Roy and Dev finished at #7 all time. Dell and Steph Curry are #1, Dell and Seth Curry are right up there as well. I'll have to try and dig up my father/son all time scoring excel file.

Ya know, I'm not worried about scholarships, it will all work out, bring in a couple big men.

Some thoughts:
- Cordell could be gone, maybe he'll start at Drake in a year.
- George Kittle can pay for his bro-in-law Riley
- JBo could play a few games this year and then go for a medical redshirt
- I don't see Joe W going pro after this year, he's not and won't be ready
- There could be an injury or two
- God forbid, Fran may be called upon to do some major spin control
- People were worried we couldn't get any guards, we have two now and people still aren't happy
- We get some legacy twins and people aren't happy, going that prep school route isn't all bad, it worked for Nico Ragani.

Don't worry, be happy........

Ya know, I'm not worried about scholarships, it will all work out, bring in a couple big men.

Some thoughts:
- People were worried we couldn't get any guards, we have two now and people still aren't happy
- We get some legacy twins and people aren't happy, going that prep school route isn't all bad, it worked for Nico Ragani.

Best post on this subject. There are plenty of ways to get enough scholarships and still add Foster and Ogundele. It feels like the twins were in the works for awhile. I'm sure Fran knows exactly how he is going to make it work out for scholarships.

Look. I know Fran is not regarded as a top shelf recruiter. However, why would he fill up a class with unrated recruits who did not have any P5 offers? There is lots of time left and a ton of good basketball players who are currently uncommitted. I just cannot believe that a very experienced coaching staff would panic and grab some guys off the street to fill up a class. Iowa may not be a destination for a lot of 4 and 5 star players, but we are hardly chopped liver. This is very confusing. I would love to hear some theories as to why this happened.

Do me a favor. I do not need to read a bunch of warmed over snarky comments. I really would like to see a good discussion. I guess if you do not find this intriguing, as I do, then just ignore me.

I could barely find any highlights of either of these kids. These kids both look like Dom Uhl clones. Probably better shooting. But overall that is the type of player I see. The only thing that I can think is that Fran knows that Sibley is gone for a fact. You can find a place for Foster if he commits but. I'd say if Foster doesn't pick Iowa that this class is full. I feel like these are the scholarships you offer in December when other options are gone.

Hopefully Fran realizes that these kids committing will seal his fate at Iowa if they dont get Foster and they dont make the tourney this year. If JBo does play this year then we will have very little left next year as far as talent.

I could barely find any highlights of either of these kids. These kids both look like Dom Uhl clones. Probably better shooting. But overall that is the type of player I see. The only thing that I can think is that Fran knows that Sibley is gone for a fact. You can find a place for Foster if he commits but. I'd say if Foster doesn't pick Iowa that this class is full. I feel like these are the scholarships you offer in December when other options are gone.

Hopefully Fran realizes that these kids committing will seal his fate at Iowa if they dont get Foster and they dont make the tourney this year. If JBo does play this year then we will have very little left next year as far as talent.
I disagree about next year. I think we should have a very solid team assuming Wieskamp stays.

PG - Toussaint
SG - Frederick
SF - Wieskamp
PF - Nunge
C - Garza
6th man - P Mccaffery

Garza and Wieskamp would be potential 1st Team All B1G guys. Surrounding talent would be pretty solid. Bench might be a little thin but that’s okay as long as you ride your top 6 or 7.

Some thoughts:

In the interest of fairness we have two guards who had no other high major offers and are both rated outside of the top 250.

If we don’t get Foster you can’t call this class anything but a huge failure by Fran & Co. There isn’t really anyway you can argue against it.

In the interest of fairness we have two guards who had no other high major offers and are both rated outside of the top 250.

If we don’t get Foster you can’t call this class anything but a huge failure by Fran & Co. There isn’t really anyway you can argue against it.

You can't argue that the class isn't a failure....on paper. It's possible it will be easy to argue against it in 3 years. If Ulis ends up close to his brother and the Murray twins end up like their dad, I'd argue that this was a very successful class.

I disagree about next year. I think we should have a very solid team assuming Wieskamp stays.

PG - Toussaint
SG - Frederick
SF - Wieskamp
PF - Nunge
C - Garza
6th man - P Mccaffery

Garza and Wieskamp would be potential 1st Team All B1G guys. Surrounding talent would be pretty solid. Bench might be a little thin but that’s okay as long as you ride your top 6 or 7.

My concern with saying that this group of 6 players will be good is we have no idea what we truly have outside of Garza and Wieskamp. We saw what happened when Iowa only had 1 or 2 really good players on a team with Gatens and Jok senior years. Those teams ceiling was NIT. Garza has shown a propensity to get in foul trouble as many big men do. Maybe that gets better in year 3.

If Freddrick and Nunge have the breakout years that everyone is hoping for this year, then my opinion will change for next years team. But until we actually see it on the floor let's pull the reins on saying next years team will be any good.

Kenyou Murray stands as the #23 all time leading scorer in Hawkeye history with 1230 points, 8 points ahead of Jordan Bohannon.

I thought we might be done with father/son(s) scoring when Dev Marble moved on but evidently not. If these guys develop at all they could make a run at some scoring lists. Roy and Dev finished at #7 all time. Dell and Steph Curry are #1, Dell and Seth Curry are right up there as well. I'll have to try and dig up my father/son all time scoring excel file.
Where are the Hardaways on that list?

How about Glen (Robinson) and junior?

Jalen Rose and Jimmy Walker?

You can't argue that the class isn't a failure....on paper. It's possible it will be easy to argue against it in 3 years. If Ulis ends up close to his brother and the Murray twins end up like their dad, I'd argue that this was a very successful class.
I understand how you like to make your arguments PC, but if that’s the case why would we ever get excited over a recruit, or recruiting class?

When it comes to viewing recruiting we take in all the information we have. Here are the facts.

-These guys have no other high major offers
-These guys are rated outside the top 250
-These guys were not Fran’s first, second, or even third choices. These were all major fallbacks.

Could they pan out? Maybe but again without XF this class is a major failure, until proven otherwise. With that said I’m still hopeful on XF.

My concern with saying that this group of 6 players will be good is we have no idea what we truly have outside of Garza and Wieskamp. We saw what happened when Iowa only had 1 or 2 really good players on a team with Gatens and Jok senior years. Those teams ceiling was NIT. Garza has shown a propensity to get in foul trouble as many big men do. Maybe that gets better in year 3.

If Freddrick and Nunge have the breakout years that everyone is hoping for this year, then my opinion will change for next years team. But until we actually see it on the floor let's pull the reins on saying next years team will be any good.
I’m not opposed to what your saying. I would say though, when Nunge was allowed to play his natural spot at the 4 as a freshman he was pretty good, so I don’t feel he’s a complete unknown.

Holy shit what happened to lightning? Haven't heard from that guy in awhile.
I should tread lightly, or lightningly, because it's none of my business, but he disappeared after a dispute on the forum over a local AAU coach and a transportation situation. Lightning then threw in a few pejoratives about the coach, and Rob got involved. That's as far as I'm going to go cause like I said, the rest is none of my business. Rob had previously warned lightning that he was on thin ice but any more is not my story to tell.

I miss his candor. More sensitive posters probably don't.

Last edited:
I understand how you like to make your arguments PC, but if that’s the case why would we ever get excited over a recruit, or recruiting class?

When it comes to viewing recruiting we take in all the information we have. Here are the facts.

-These guys have no other high major offers
-These guys are rated outside the top 250
-These guys were not Fran’s first, second, or even third choices. These were all major fallbacks.

Could they pan out? Maybe but again without XF this class is a major failure, until proven otherwise. With that said I’m still hopeful on XF.

I guess maybe you think its splitting hairs, but I think theres a pretty big difference between saying a class is a big failure and saying a class looks like it's going to be a pretty big failure. Right now there is no arguing that it looks like it will be a failure. But theres a pretty big argument against saying it is a failure. That argument is that they haven't even played a game yet.

I guess you could still argue that since Fran didn't get his first or second options, he failed at recruiting the class even if it does work out great in hindsight. But then I would counter argue that sometimes by the time a coach gets to his fallback, he actually ends up wanting them worse than his first choice anyway because of the improvement of said fallback. If we're lucky, that will be the case with at least a couple of these kids.

Latest posts