You watch-McCall will leave!

Everybody here really needs to settle down on JVB. The kid did well his first year leading the offense. Next season, he will come back more rehearsed and 1 year wiser in the offensive system. I think he is poised to have a great year next year with the talent at WR, TE, RB and OL coming back (worst case scenario excluding Reiff). I really like the way this offense is shaping up in terms of talent and experience for next season. Either way, JVB will know how to win the close ones next year and McCall will complement Coker's running style as long as they both stay healthy (knock on wood). The defense on the other hand...

If you look at the QB's of the KF era:

You have on one side:

McCann
Chandler
Christensen

The other:

Banks
Tate
Stanzi

which column do you put JVB in - for me it's easy He goes in the first.

Reminds me A LOT of Kyle McCann.

Oh please....he's miles better than McCann was. Right now JVB is in the middle between the two classes. He's better than the first three, but saying that he isn't as good as a player who was runner-up for the Heisman and two others than finished up among the best at their position is still pretty good. People like to remember things fondly when that wasn't always the way they were. For all of his stats and the magical season he had his first year as a starter, Tate was still frustrating to watch. He would get so mad when things weren't working and then try and force them. His senior season was evidence of that. Then you had Ricky, who for all his stats was a better QB his first two years than his last. He greatly reduced his interceptions from his junior to senior years, but in doing so, he began thinking too much. He lost that knack for making the plays that kept drives alive. Strangely enough, I remember calls for an open competition between him and JVB after the 2009 season.

My god, Vandenberg threw 6 ints this year...6! in his first year starting..23tds and 6ints...i will take that every year...people who think he is bad need to take a step back and look at the body of work..ignorant
Vandenberg is one of those guys with good stats...better than Stanzi. However, Stanzi was able so secure an important stat...wins. A couple of years ago, Stanzi threw a lot of pick-6's. By the same token, he was able to march teams down the field to win games. Vandy was awful in games at PSU and Neb. He played one good game on the road, and that was Purdue. I hope he has a better year next year.

yeah, a top ten national defense didn't hurt either

Oh please....he's miles better than McCann was. Right now JVB is in the middle between the two classes. He's better than the first three, but saying that he isn't as good as a player who was runner-up for the Heisman and two others than finished up among the best at their position is still pretty good. People like to remember things fondly when that wasn't always the way they were. For all of his stats and the magical season he had his first year as a starter, Tate was still frustrating to watch. He would get so mad when things weren't working and then try and force them. His senior season was evidence of that. Then you had Ricky, who for all his stats was a better QB his first two years than his last. He greatly reduced his interceptions from his junior to senior years, but in doing so, he began thinking too much. He lost that knack for making the plays that kept drives alive. Strangely enough, I remember calls for an open competition between him and JVB after the 2009 season.

Really? Really?

McCann went 7-5
Chandler led the team to a top 10 finish (granted the Defense was insane that year)
Jake - well he was Jake.

Banks - was a Heisman finalist IN HIS FIRST YEAR AS A STARTER
Tate- led the team that HAD NO RUNNING BACKS to a conference championship IN HIS FIRST YEAR AS A STARTER
Stanzi - Led the team to a 5-1 finish in 2008, HIS FIRST YEAR AS A STARTER and a BCS victory in 2009.

JVB is what he is, and he isn't going to lose us many games, but he isn't going to win them either. This idea that somehow it is early in his career is bullocks. He is going to be very nearly the exact same QB next season.

With JVB it all comes down to being able to handle pressure. To this point, he hasn't handled it well. Accordingly, he is in the first group. Which are B1G starting QBs with average winning records.

That is what JVB is at this point.

If he doesn't get better handling pressure and JR gets some reps next year, it could start to sound like the last year of both McCann & Chandler, when fans get anxious for the future to start now.

Really? Really?

McCann went 7-5
Chandler led the team to a top 10 finish (granted the Defense was insane that year)
Jake - well he was Jake.

Tate- led the team that HAD NO RUNNING BACKS to a conference championship IN HIS FIRST YEAR AS A STARTER
Stanzi - Led the team to a 5-1 finish in 2008, HIS FIRST YEAR AS A STARTER and a BCS victory in 2009.

JVB is what he is, and he isn't going to lose us many games, but he isn't going to win them either. This idea that somehow it is early in his career is bullocks. He is going to be very nearly the exact same QB next season.

Patience young grasshoppers! Let's not throw the towel in on JVB because the Hawks went 7-5 this year... JVB has put up similar stats to Stanzi, Banks, ant Tate this year, except for the wins. But, what did Stanzi's, Tate's, and Banks' winning teams have in common? Insane defenses to complement their offenses. It's much easier to win games when the opposing teams aren't scoring any points. Either way, JVB will have most of his line back (please come back Reiff!), will have one of the B1G's best running backs behind him as well, and some very good talent at WR with Davis and Martin-Manley and at TE with CJF. This offense will be better next year. So stop calling for a QB, HC, DC, OC, etc changes and stop whining.

Really? Really?

McCann went 7-5
Jake - well he was Jake.

Outside of Chandler, you haven’t looked at their seasons in context have you? McCann still threw almost as many interceptions (11) as TDs (16). Chandler was never asked to do more than be a game manager and he was quite a good one, but having a great defense helps.

Brad Banks was a Heisman finalist his only year as a starter because he also ran for 423 yards and 5 TDs. Take that away and his numbers are very similar to JVB. So either JVB is that good as BB is mediocre without his running ability. Also keep in mind that they truncated the offense for BB to a 1-2 read system. JVB is asked to do more than 1-2-run.

Of the top three guys you mentioned (and I said he was below them now), how many had receiving corps that led the league in drops? You’re also forgetting that each of those guys had really good defenses to lean on. It’s not early in his career at all, but acting like he can’t get better is not something I agree with. I agree with you about Stanzi, but that was his first two years. He lost that ability last year.

You can’t compare the situations IMO. The first three were never asked to win games by themselves. The last three did win games, but they also had a lot of help on defense, so they weren’t asked to shoulder a larger load. JVB is unjustly criticized because he has been asked to go out and shoulder a larger load and win games than any of the other guys. Can you honestly say that any of the QBs on that list (aside of Brad Banks) would have won more games this year? Definitely none of the first three and not Ricky because he had a better defense last year and a better presence at the TE position and still won only seven games.

With JVB it all comes down to being able to handle pressure. To this point, he hasn't handled it well. Accordingly, he is in the first group. Which are B1G starting QBs with average winning records.

That is what JVB is at this point.

If he doesn't get better handling pressure and JR gets some reps next year, it could start to sound like the last year of both McCann & Chandler, when fans get anxious for the future to start now.

Oh, that's BS. How many times did he scramble away and complete passes? He's not that terrible at handling pressure. As far as the last year for both McCann and Chandler, you do know they were only full-time starters for one year, right? You make it sound like they started multiple years.

I don't get the argument about not being able to tell if McCall is good because he was running against a weak team. That would make sense if it was an O lineman that got 5 pancake blocks or a D lineman that got 5 sacks. I think runing back is the 1 position where you can tell if they're good regardless of the talent they are playing. Its not about how many yards he had. Its about how quick he hit the hole, how quick his cuts were, how he finished runs that has people exited. Now there is no way to know how good he is going to be off 11 carries but to just assume Coker is the best back on the team because he is starting is nieve(sp?). There are plenty of examples of the best player being stuck on the sidelines. Angerer in 08 didn't even start at the beginning of the season. Ferentz said himself McCall was ready and not playing him is something he needs to get over. To me its not about who should play as much as it is being annoyed with Ferentz's shortcoming that he openly admits to. Who knows maybe he is the next Shonne Green

so you are saying that Coker who is 172 yards shy of moving into the Top 10 of all time RB's in Iowa's history in favor of a kid that got 61 yards on 9 carries against a very bad DII team
get real
there are to many fans that are of the opinion the 2nd stringer is always the better player
if Coker had not fumbled fans would never have seen McCall,
White or Johnson would have gotten mop up duty

Wow, it seems some have weaved from the McCall thread to this JVB critique.
Let's keep McCall in our offense because he seems to get to the hole faster and he would take wear and tear away from Coker.

I've not encountered the stat saying Iowa led the B1G in drops until now. Do you suppose the type of ball JVB throws, the Nolan Ryan-like fastball, has anything to do with this?

so you are saying that Coker who is 172 yards shy of moving into the Top 10 of all time RB's in Iowa's history in favor of a kid that got 61 yards on 9 carries against a very bad DII team
get real
there are to many fans that are of the opinion the 2nd stringer is always the better player
if Coker had not fumbled fans would never have seen McCall,
White or Johnson would have gotten mop up duty

I assume you're not talking to me since i never said anything like that but it's funny to see another post using stats to show how good Coker is. If Coker would have gotten hurt instead of McCall would McCall's stats on the season be better or worse then Coker's was? There is no was any of us know the answer to that.

Coker's best game was against Minnesota. In that game we would have been better served to have a fast shiftier back then a power back. Coker picked up 3 yard gains when a different back would have gotten nothing but with the O line opening holes like they were the quicker back would have gotten 20 or more when Coker was getting 10. When Coker was getting 20 the quicker back would have scored. That doesn't mean they are better then Coker it just means during that particular game they would have helped the team more given the O line's dominance that day.

Now i absolutely love watching Coker run through people but in the back of my mind i realize that one quick cut and he could have picked up more yards.

Ponder this for a minute. If Kirk didn't want to play A Rob (who was a pretty darn good back and a REDSHIRT freshman) over Paki ( who was not so good to put it nicely) during the UNI game, then what did McCall show Kirk to get him to trust him in the 1st half of the 1st game of his TRUE freshman season? He could have put in anyone when Coker fumbled but he put in a true freshman. To me that says a lot!

Also, playing a bad team didn't make the other players on our team look dominant, including Coker, but McCall stood out like a sore thumb. Again all this sure doesn't mean he is better then Coker but it is good reason for fans to be exited about him. It would be different if Kirk was saying he wasn't ready or was coming around nicely. He said himself that he WAS ready and he needs to play him

Coker had a broken collarbone is the reason nobody saw him til the middle of the season
not to mention Russell suffered injuries as well Wegher so the need for Coker was there
and the Minnesota was not the only team Coker had a 200+ yard game
Missouri was his 1st and they were in the TOP 20 at the time not to mention there rushing D was top 10 against the run
the arguement he got his yards against weak teams is so off base its idiotic to even suggest it
and avg backs do not run for over 200 yards in one game let alone 2, by the end of their sophamore year, and we still have the bowl game to play
but it is nice to have so many fans b!tch about a 4* rb and are ready to throw him aside

Coker had a broken collarbone is the reason nobody saw him til the middle of the season
not to mention Russell suffered injuries as well Wegher so the need for Coker was there
and the Minnesota was not the only team Coker had a 200+ yard game
Missouri was his 1st and they were in the TOP 20 at the time not to mention there rushing D was top 10 against the run
the arguement he got his yards against weak teams is so off base its idiotic to even suggest it
and avg backs do not run for over 200 yards in one game let alone 2, by the end of their sophamore year, and we still have the bowl game to play
but it is nice to have so many fans b!tch about a 4* rb and are ready to throw him aside

I haven't seen many people if any say they want to throw Coker aside. Some people, including Ferentz, think McCall needs to play. Then people get all defensive and start saying how good Coker is even tho that has nothing to do with why people want to see McCall

"I don't get the argument about not being able to tell if McCall is good because he was running against a weak team.""I think running back is the 1 position where you can tell if they're good regardless of the talent they are playing. Its not about how many yards he had. Its about how quick he hit the hole, how quick his cuts were, how he finished runs that has people exited."

Is there some logic here I'm missing? Any athlete with Division I size/ speed/skills ought to perform well against athletes with Division III size/speed/skills, especially given the fact that football is a team sport. A team full of bigger stronger faster guys against less talented players. Quicker to the hole, quicker cuts, stronger finishes - because it's the A team vs. minor leaguers. The true test of a running back comes against equally fast, strong and talented players. Show me cutting ability when the runner has to find the hole or create on his own. Show the ability to gain another yard or two after getting hit by Division I players. I like McCall, he has the tools but he's proven nothing. I think he stays. I think he's completely happy at Iowa. Maybe disappointed by his misfortune, but looking forward to the future. By all accounts, he has tremendous respect for Ferentz and the Hawks. He'd be the first guy to tell you Coker's an animal and that he's going to work hard, be a team player and when the opportunity arises he's going to try to achieve what Coker has already achieved. If he leaves or thinks any other way.....next man in. Iowa does not need that cancer.