You watch-McCall will leave!

Canzeri was working with the DB's
Johnson was still recovering from a ACL
Rodgers was waiting to get clearence on his health

McCall getting to play was a matter of having nobody else to play
if Coe would have been here, he would have been the one on the field
but rumors that i have heard and read, McCalls troubles are in the class room

It sounds like you think if Brownlie was still hear he would have played before McCall. If it was just a matter of putting someone else in we all know it would have been White.

not really Rodgers showed last year that he could run and he was a freshmen;
and a running fb to go with Coker would be a good combination and he has the speed as shown last year
my stance is that others if available would have played and MaCall would have Red Shirted and this whole thread would not exist

You stole my answer. But really i do think that is the answer. Although it's possible to lose to them I'm pretty sure Kirk was confident enough that we wouldn't. With the fact that later they were big 10 games and the fact that Coker was running plenty good he just didn't feel the need to play him. I understand why he didn't i just don't agree with it.
As far as playing true freshman goes, really the only time he plays them is during non conference games and when they run out of anyone else due to injury like Coker and Morris. Also special teams. The thing is he knows he should play freshman but he struggles with it still and because of this he burns a lot of red shirts for little if any gain.
I get the whole reading into what he says but in this case i think it's pretty black and white. If he thought he wasn't mentally ready he would have said "he is coming around nicely we will see how it goes" not "he's ready to go not playing him is something i need to get over"

You and I don't necessarily agree per se, but I very much appreciate your pleasantness and your ability to at least "try" to see "why" they did something....many don't or wont.

With that said I personally find that too be a bit of a myth. Granted I agree he is still sometimes a little slow, but from memory or best guess (did do a little quick research, but not sure I'm dead on) is the amount of frosh I remember him playing and admittedly some were likely RS's....

Sanders, Barr, Cole...

Champ Davis, Scott Chandler, Mike Jones, Albert Young would have...

Damian Sims, Charles Godfrey, Iowa favorite whipping boy Adam Shada...

Moeaki, Dace Richardson, Ryan Bain, Marcus Wilson...???...

Clayborn played as an Rs, Edds, Paul Chaney, Dominique Douglass..

Bulaga, Everson, Ballard, Diaunte Morrow (Toledo), Jacody Coleman (Lamar), Desman Moses (had a solid career at Tulane I believe) Jevon Pugh, Allan Reisner....

Shaun Prater, David Cato, I think Willie Lowe played as a frosh, Jewel Hampton...

Keenan, Dibona (RS right???) Hyde, Wehger...

Coker, Hitchens, Kirksey, Lowery, CJ Fed, Miller, Morris, etc...

This year a bunch more of course. Now I understand this isn't an exact list and I also understand these weren't epic starters, but these kids all played and many played a bunch and I suppose you can trivialize it with the "had too" stuff, but that seems unfair to me and convenient at best.

Chad

PS....missed some classes between Sanders and 2002-2003ish, but JJ and Atwan Allen both played as frosh or RS frosh and so did Benny Sapp if memory serves....

Last edited:
You and I don't necessarily agree per se, but I very much appreciate your pleasantness and your ability to at least "try" to see "why" they did something....many don't or wont.

With that said I personally find that too be a bit of a myth. Granted I agree he is still sometimes a little slow, but from memory or best guess (did do a little quick research, but not sure I'm dead on) is the amount of frosh I remember him playing and admittedly some were likely RS's....

Sanders, Barr, Cole...

Champ Davis, Scott Chandler, Mike Jones, Albert Young would have...

Damian Sims, Charles Godfrey, Iowa favorite whipping boy Adam Shada...

Moeaki, Dace Richardson, Ryan Bain, Marcus Wilson...???...

Clayborn played as an Rs, Edds, Paul Chaney, Dominique Douglass..

Bulaga, Everson, Ballard, Diaunte Morrow (Toledo), Jacody Coleman (Lamar), Desman Moses (had a solid career at Tulane I believe) Jevon Pugh, Allan Reisner....

Shaun Prater, David Cato, I think Willie Lowe played as a frosh, Jewel Hampton...

Keenan, Dibona (RS right???) Hyde, Wehger...

Coker, Hitchens, Kirksey, Lowery, CJ Fed, Miller, Morris, etc...

This year a bunch more of course. Now I understand this isn't an exact list and I also understand these weren't epic starters, but these kids all played and many played a bunch and I suppose you can trivialize it with the "had too" stuff, but that seems unfair to me and convenient at best.

Chad

PS....missed some classes between Sanders and 2002-2003ish, but JJ and Atwan Allen both played as frosh or RS frosh and so did Benny Sapp if memory serves....

I don't think we are really that far off with our thinking from the things you are saying. If Kirk is playing a true freshman and it's not out of necessity that means the player is showing some serious ability. Most of the players you mentioned played because of injuries or because there was no talent ahead of them. If a true freshman got serious play time and the two reasons i said didn't apply, then the reason he played is because he was a serious stud. Now with McCall there were no string of injuries ahead of him and there was some pretty decent talent ahead of him. Not great talent but decent talent. So with that said my guess is that he might be playing because he was really good. Not flawless logic, but it's enough to get me excited about him

And if everyone agreed on everything, the message boards would be a pretty boring place :)

not sure about injuries, Rodgers was not cleared to play and is solid threat to run as the fb and can catch the ball out of the backfield

But as of now after Heiar, Grant announcing they are either done or leaving
there has been no word on McCall leaving
i expect him back

Canzeri was working with the DB's
Johnson was still recovering from a ACL
Rodgers was waiting to get clearence on his health

McCall getting to play was a matter of having nobody else to play
if Coe would have been here, he would have been the one on the field
but rumors that i have heard and read, McCalls troubles are in the class room

Coe would have played over McCall?

Every ounce of evidence based on both McCall early playing time and Coes lack of carries in junior college suggests otherwise.

The fact that McCall came in in the first five minuets of the first game should clearly indicate that it was already planed he was going to play and play allot this season.

I do hope Coe makes it back to Iowa because we certainly need some big defensive lineman.

he played because of Cokers fumble, KF rule for a rb
fumble the ball sit on the bench
Coker didn't get back in right away if at all, even when McCall got hurt
we can discuss this all year long but you are not going to convince me he is the best back on the team nor should we have cut carries by Coker whe he avg 23 -24 carries a game

he played because of Cokers fumble, KF rule for a rb
fumble the ball sit on the bench
Coker didn't get back in right away if at all, even when McCall got hurt
we can discuss this all year long but you are not going to convince me he is the best back on the team nor should we have cut carries by Coker whe he avg 23 -24 carries a game

Coker got pulled from the game because he fumbled but McCall didn't have to be the guy that replaced him. The fact that it was him and he was a true freshman means he's good. Whether he is better then Coker or not remains to be seen and anyone who says one way or the other is just guessing

at the time who was healthy other than McCall
HINDSITE is always 20/20
as for anothers posters question as to why KF didn't play Coker sooner
it is really quite simple to a true follower of Hawkeye FB, Coker was out with a Broken Collarbone in AUGUST right before the season started
unless you wanted him to play with a broken collar bone

Coker got pulled from the game because he fumbled but McCall didn't have to be the guy that replaced him. The fact that it was him and he was a true freshman means he's good. Whether he is better then Coker or not remains to be seen and anyone who says one way or the other is just guessing

Yes, there were many other options in that first game.

It wasn't oh crap Coker fumble what do we do, ok lets pull somebodys redshirt reaction. They were clearly planning on playing McCall early and often this season. Thats a rare exception at Iowa for a true freshman and indicates the guy has a ton of ability.

Almost any other time you would have seen Jason White go in there.

Rearding redshirts: It's my understanding that all freshman players are evaluated thru out summer drills/fall camp. The coaching staff accesses team needs and projects potential playing time. Before the season starts, they meet with all freshman to discuss redshirting. It is 100% the player's and his parents decision whether or not to redshirt. If a player chooses to redshirt - he redshirts, no exceptions. Some players choose to preserve their redshirt if possible due to lack of playing time, but are willing to play to meet any needs the team has. Other players choose to play regardless of playing time. The staff is upfront about possible playing time or the lack thereof - there are no promises made. Perform in practice, perform in the classroom, perform as a representative of the U of I, then if the opportunity arises and he can crack the depth chart, the player gets a chance to perform on the field. Success on the field leads to more performances. The idea that Iowa coaches burn or waste redshirts is reallly ignorant and ridiculous. There's no daily official progress reports on practice, no daily academic reports, no citizenship reports, no official team rules violation report, no detailed injuries report, no personal ups & downs/homesick report, no fighting with girlfriend reports etc. A lot of factors in players lives we have no knowledge of. One fact is certain - the player decides if he wants to redshirt or play.

Rearding redshirts: It's my understanding that all freshman players are evaluated thru out summer drills/fall camp. The coaching staff accesses team needs and projects potential playing time. Before the season starts, they meet with all freshman to discuss redshirting. It is 100% the player's and his parents decision whether or not to redshirt. If a player chooses to redshirt - he redshirts, no exceptions. Some players choose to preserve their redshirt if possible due to lack of playing time, but are willing to play to meet any needs the team has. Other players choose to play regardless of playing time. The staff is upfront about possible playing time or the lack thereof - there are no promises made. Perform in practice, perform in the classroom, perform as a representative of the U of I, then if the opportunity arises and he can crack the depth chart, the player gets a chance to perform on the field. Success on the field leads to more performances. The idea that Iowa coaches burn or waste redshirts is reallly ignorant and ridiculous. There's no daily official progress reports on practice, no daily academic reports, no citizenship reports, no official team rules violation report, no detailed injuries report, no personal ups & downs/homesick report, no fighting with girlfriend reports etc. A lot of factors in players lives we have no knowledge of. One fact is certain - the player decides if he wants to redshirt or play.

That's a good point but i will add this. I'm sure there are lots of times, with any team not just Iowa, where a player thinks he is going to play more but for whatever reason he ends up not getting the play time he wanted, so in hindsight he feels like he wasted his red shirt. I also think this happens more often here because Kirk has intentions to play someone but as the season goes on and the games get tougher he gets nervous to play the freshman who deserve to play

i heard cokers leaving (he told me) because he is tired of hearing about his back-up...

Tell him it would be a bad idea to leave. If he goes to any other team he will have to share carries with someone else. If he stays he can get all the carries for the next 2 years and our 2nd leading rusher will be our slow white quarterback.

i am glad to know there are so many on here that think 23 carries a game is to much work for Coker
as i asked before where was this outrage when Greene got the same # of carries with Hampton as his backup

Latest posts