You watch-McCall will leave!

if Garmon committs McCall will be a distant memory and Garmon will be the new flavor of the month
he will have the speed everybody drools over

I really hope he sticks around. I think that a combination of size (Coker and McCall) With speed (McCall, Garmon, Canzeri) would be great.

I think Iowa is telling these kids if you leave you are stupid. Look at the opportunities our RBs have had the past several years (back to 2004 even). If you stay you should get carries at some point in time and could even end up starting, even if you started as a 4th stringer (coker reference from 2010)

where was this outrage about Greene carrying the ball to much
"307" carries on the season about 23 carries a game same as Coker got this year
to much infatuation with McCall, next carrier on the team was Hamton with 91 for the year
this year Vandy was 2nd with 71 carries

where was this outrage about Greene carrying the ball to much "307" carries on the season about 23 carries a game same as Coker got this yearto much infatuation with McCall, next carrier on the team was Hamton with 91 for the yearthis year Vandy was 2nd with 71 carries
Yup the mccall love fest is head scratching

Yup the mccall love fest is head scratching

The lovefest you guys have with ripping on players his head scratching. He is a unproven entity and 99% of the people on this board have no idea why he was suspended. I hope its a simple situation and I would love to see what he could do for the Hawks in the next few years.

i have not ripped on the kid
i am just confused by the love affair people have for the kid
Coker has earned the right to get the bulk of the carries
and sorry to say 23 carries a game is not a heavy work load
this team didn't get enough plays per game to let anyone else get carries

to much infatuation with McCall, next carrier on the team was Hamton with 91 for the year

Big difference is Greene was fast.

Saying Coker needs a break is another way of saying we need someone who can potentially score touchdowns when there is no one between him and the endzone.

"I don't get the argument about not being able to tell if McCall is good because he was running against a weak team.""I think running back is the 1 position where you can tell if they're good regardless of the talent they are playing. Its not about how many yards he had. Its about how quick he hit the hole, how quick his cuts were, how he finished runs that has people exited."

Is there some logic here I'm missing? Any athlete with Division I size/ speed/skills ought to perform well against athletes with Division III size/speed/skills, especially given the fact that football is a team sport. A team full of bigger stronger faster guys against less talented players. Quicker to the hole, quicker cuts, stronger finishes - because it's the A team vs. minor leaguers. The true test of a running back comes against equally fast, strong and talented players. Show me cutting ability when the runner has to find the hole or create on his own. Show the ability to gain another yard or two after getting hit by Division I players. I like McCall, he has the tools but he's proven nothing. I think he stays. I think he's completely happy at Iowa. Maybe disappointed by his misfortune, but looking forward to the future. By all accounts, he has tremendous respect for Ferentz and the Hawks. He'd be the first guy to tell you Coker's an animal and that he's going to work hard, be a team player and when the opportunity arises he's going to try to achieve what Coker has already achieved. If he leaves or thinks any other way.....next man in. Iowa does not need that cancer.

Everyone should look a little better but McCall was the only one on the team that looked WAY better then the competition (including Coker) I agree that fighting for extra yards is tough to judge against that team but anyone who watches football knows what a quick cut looks like regardless of who they are playing

1. He said it was poor timing in the Purdue game.
2. That doesn't explain his lack of PT in the three games previous to the Purdue game.
3. Coker averaged 4.6 ypc in that game, which is nothing spectacular.
Maybe the coaches were actually looking out for his health, and didn't think he was ready for game action in the previous games. #3. WTF, are you serious. He averaged 4.9 for the record. Obviously your drinking today, as you're the same guy claiming that the kid had no shirt on in the police choking video.

Last edited:

Herby, this is an argument that people who WANT someone else to get some carries should be using. The fact that a backup got that many carries behind the Doak Walker winner then our backup this year and the fact that VANDY had the 2nd most carries this year are not good arguments for not using a 2nd back this year.
Now showing how many carries Coker had this year is a great argument because I would have to say that that's not to many for a game.
The crazy thing to me is how few people are willing to concede anything on this board. The things we know about McCall are this
He was the best player on the field during the 1st game
There was a lot of buzz about him before the season started
He was the 2nd back in the game after Coker as a TRUE freshman
Ferentz himself says he is ready to play
If all that isn't enough to think he should get some carries that's fine but people on here say they don't even UNDERSTAND the love fest for him? How can someone not even understand why people are not exited about him?

Big difference is Greene was fast.

Saying Coker needs a break is another way of saying we need someone who can potentially score touchdowns when there is no one between him and the endzone.

If Coker was even kinda fast people would not really care if he got all the carries. But as good as our O line was at opening holes this year we probably would have been better off with a Fred Russell type back instead of a power back. This does not mean Coker isn't awesome because he is. It's just that when your O line regularly opens huge holes like they did, you're better off with a guy that is good in open space

until the kid does the same against PSU and MSU, that he did against a DII team
i will hold off on annointing him the next great rb
the kid is quick, there's no denying that

I posted this elsewhere but it belongs here as well.....

It really is funny how the worm turns. After the bowl game and his 60 yard TD run, everyone gushed about how fast he was.......

But now, he is another Adam Robinson, who also was faster than our fans thought......

But probably one of the funniest things is McAll came in at 4.7 per rivals and we worried about him being to slow, and Coker came in at 4.6....

I mean really, we worry about "this" and then switch gears so completely and totally that we pretend like the last thing didn't happen...

It honestly is quite a phenomenon and I always wonder if it is only germane to our favorite sports team of if we do this with every day life as well.....

Chad

PS....in short KF showed he'd play a true frosh in the rain, in a zero-zero opening game and that is exciting for sure. Sadly for me, and I'll admit I'm a much deeper thinker than most or so it seems. (Not saying I'm better or smarter, just that I weigh all the info at hand & the behind the scenes thoughts that I feel should be obvious to everyone) The point being THAT early season evidence should be indication enuff, that what people have said about him is bunk AND it should get him (him being KF) the benefit of the doubt, when later he DOESN'T play him. I mean honestly that was a huge situation to play in and yet later something was amiss. THAT is the number one thing that upsets me about this message or should I say "these" message boards. There is plenty of enlightening stuff available that anyone with a decent amount of real life application can use to "really" see what is or isn't happening.

Finally I've seen enuff of the critics for far to long....if McAll comes back and I hope he does. Eventually he TOO will be slow. After all many of these same cats lamented the recruiting of a "4.7" TB. We never remember the truth of what we said before, we only move on to what we have now decided. Mark my words, eventually McAll will be slow.

I've seen so many Iowa fans call kids slow who later ran great Pro-day of combine times, that honestly....if they call someone slow, I'm on board with him likely being quite athletic. Not that I haven't been wrong, but I prefer to let things play out in all honesty.

Last edited:
I posted this elsewhere but it belongs here as well.....

It really is funny how the worm turns. After the bowl game and his 60 yard TD run, everyone gushed about how fast he was.......

But now, he is another Adam Robinson, who also was faster than our fans thought......

But probably one of the funniest things is McAll came in at 4.7 per rivals and we worried about him being to slow, and Coker came in at 4.6....

I mean really, we worry about "this" and then switch gears so completely and totally that we pretend like the last thing didn't happen...

It honestly is quite a phenomenon and I always wonder if it is only germane to our favorite sports team of if we do this with every day life as well.....

Chad

PS....in short KF showed he'd play a true frosh in the rain, in a zero-zero opening game and that is exciting for sure. Sadly for me, and I'll admit I'm a much deeper thinker than most or so it seems. (Not saying I'm better or smarter, just that I weigh all the info at hand & the behind the scenes thoughts that I feel should be obvious to everyone) The point being THAT early season evidence should be indication enuff, that what people have said about him is bunk AND it should get him (him being KF) the benefit of the doubt, when later he DOESN'T play him. I mean honestly that was a huge situation to play in and yet later something was amiss. THAT is the number one thing that upsets me about this message or should I say "these" message boards. There is plenty of enlightening stuff available that anyone with a decent amount of real life application can use to "really" see what is or isn't happening.

Finally I've seen enuff of the critics for far to long....if McAll comes back and I hope he does. Eventually he TOO will be slow. After all many of these same cats lamented the recruiting of a "4.7" TB. We never remember the truth of what we said before, we only move on to what we have now decided. Mark my words, eventually McAll will be slow.

I've seen so many Iowa fans call kids slow who later ran great Pro-day of combine times, that honestly....if they call someone slow, I'm on board with him likely being quite athletic. Not that I haven't been wrong, but I prefer to let things play out in all honesty.

We don't need to give Kirk the benefit of the doubt on why he didn't play him later because he told us why he didn't play him. He said McCall was ready to go but playing him is something he needs to get over. Meaning he is afraid to play young players

We don't need to give Kirk the benefit of the doubt on why he didn't play him later because he told us why he didn't play him. He said McCall was ready to go but playing him is something he needs to get over. Meaning he is afraid to play young players

Really, then why wasn't he afraid to play him earlier......

Or for that matter, the myriads of other true frosh or RS frosh he has played in recent years. Seriously......

One last question....people continually and without much merit try to read into KF's words and regularly accuse him of this or that. So its not possible he didn't think it was his mental preparedness....?!

Please answer this questions, because truly I've enjoyed your posts, don't be like the others who just skip out on things that didn't fit their agenda.

He did and has played true frosh in lots and lots of dangerous spots....and before you pooh-pooh Tenn Tech and danger we've lost to worse teams than TT.

Chad

Last edited:
Canzeri was working with the DB's
Johnson was still recovering from a ACL
Rodgers was waiting to get clearence on his health

McCall getting to play was a matter of having nobody else to play
if Coe would have been here, he would have been the one on the field
but rumors that i have heard and read, McCalls troubles are in the class room

Really, then why wasn't he afraid to play him earlier......
Or for that matter, the myriads of other true frosh or RS frosh he has played in recent years. Seriously......

One last questions....people continually and without much real insight try to read into KF's words and regularly accuse him of this or that. So its not possible he didn't think it was his mental preparedness....?!

Please answer this questions, because truly I've enjoyed your posts, don't be like the others who just skip out on things that didn't fit their agenda.

He did and has played true frosh in lots and lots of dangerous spots....and before you pooh-pooh Tenn Tech and danger we've lost to worse teams than TT.

Chad

You stole my answer. But really i do think that is the answer. Although it's possible to lose to them I'm pretty sure Kirk was confident enough that we wouldn't. With the fact that later they were big 10 games and the fact that Coker was running plenty good he just didn't feel the need to play him. I understand why he didn't i just don't agree with it.
As far as playing true freshman goes, really the only time he plays them is during non conference games and when they run out of anyone else due to injury like Coker and Morris. Also special teams. The thing is he knows he should play freshman but he struggles with it still and because of this he burns a lot of red shirts for little if any gain.
I get the whole reading into what he says but in this case i think it's pretty black and white. If he thought he wasn't mentally ready he would have said "he is coming around nicely we will see how it goes" not "he's ready to go not playing him is something i need to get over"