Yes, this is a disappointing stretch of Iowa football

Ah yes, another classic hit...the "if you don't agree with me, you cannot possibly be objective and there must be an ulterior motive" posts.

It's called sarcasm Jon...

But on a serious note your posts on here bewilder me sometimes. You don't have to come up with stats and excuses for this football program all the time that covers up the problem.

No one cares what these other teams do. Iowa has lost a lot of games it shouldn't have in the last 5 years. It doesn't matter who else is struggling. It doesn't matter who was drafted. It doesn't matter...IMO you are far to apologetic for this staff. They are what they are as you have said many times and right now the staff is not that good.

I get tired of hearing how we should be winning because of the amount of money our coach makes. Since I don't contribute to the coach's salary, it's irrelevant to me. If it were that easy we'd just come up with a few more million dollars, have the most highly paid coach, and guarantee ourselves a national championship every year.

We have good facilities, a good fan base and a good university. Unfortunately so do a lot of other schools, and they are trying to win the games just like we are. If you don't think geography is a disadvantage for us you're way off.

I live in a big city right in the middle of SEC territory and on any Friday night I can to to several HS football games where the talent would knock your socks off. These SEC programs have the pick of the litter of all this talent. The fact that Iowa has been able to compete with these programs and beat them more times than not when they meet them in their backyards in bowl games is amazing to me. Do you not think KF and his staff are responsible for this?

Would I like for us to win 9 or 10 games every year? Of course I would... But I'm sure not going to call for the coach's head when we only win 7 or 8.

cheapshot, these are the days I wonder why I waste time reading these boards, better off putting up xmas lights. Jury is still out for me if the Hawks finish 7-5 and get into a decent bowl I will consider this a decent season, 6-6 definately disappointing but not disaster

I don't know why either...someone might need to check your pulse. It wasn't a cheap shot...it's called sarcasm. But it did get the effect that I wanted. Maybe some people will bring the excuse machine to a halt and call this staff who they are...average over the last 5 years.

I really believe the best talent on this team is in the sophomore and freshman classes. The weakest part of the team looks to be the DL, but there are athletic prep palyers who we haven't seen yet out of these classes at DL.

Much of the DL from these classes haven't played. Either because they simply aren't developing, or the more likely, that they don't have the physical strength and practice time coming from high school to play along the lines at 18-19 year olds.

Hardy, Trinica-Pasat, McMinn, Cooper, Spears, Tsopanides, and Carl Davis are out of those two classes. Only Davis has seen significant playing time and he's hindered by a leg injury.

Now, maybe these guys won't be any good but it's way too early to judge them and I like the way the young LB's and DB's from those classes look. If we can get modestly decent play from DL next year we look pretty good at the back seven and on offense.

Not gonna say its not. Iowa is 14-9 since the start of the 2010 season, which isn't where the coaching staff wants to be, isn't where the players want to be and isn't where the fans want to be.

The same can be said for the coaches, players and fans of the following schools, who have a national title lineage and are among the winningest programs in the history of the sport. Their all time rank in winning percentage is in parenthesis:

Since the start of the 2010 season:

Texas (3): 11-10 (one win vs ranked opponent)
Miami (14): 12-13 (two wins vs ranked opponents)
Florida (16): 13-10 (bowl win vs unranked PSU, zero wins vs ranked teams)
Tennessee (9): 10-13 (zero wins vs ranked opponents)

Iowa (59): 14-9 (4 W's wins vs ranked teams, including a #5 & #12)

Wow..talk about cherrie picking teams to attempt to prove a point...lol

[/B] Is that suppose to make us feel better or something:confused:? I mean really what is that. Tennessee is a jumbled mess and Miami and Florida have had to make coaching changes. Texas has also had to make changes to the staff.
Completely agree. What do FL, Miami, Texas, and Tenn. have to do with Iowa? I mean for every one of those, I can find 3 more that were elite and have stayed elite. None of them really have anything to do with Iowa.

Please do that. Seriously, try.

Not gonna say its not. Iowa is 14-9 since the start of the 2010 season, which isn't where the coaching staff wants to be, isn't where the players want to be and isn't where the fans want to be.

The same can be said for the coaches, players and fans of the following schools, who have a national title lineage and are among the winningest programs in the history of the sport. Their all time rank in winning percentage is in parenthesis:

Since the start of the 2010 season:

Texas (3): 11-10 (one win vs ranked opponent)
Miami (14): 12-13 (two wins vs ranked opponents)
Florida (16): 13-10 (bowl win vs unranked PSU, zero wins vs ranked teams)
Tennessee (9): 10-13 (zero wins vs ranked opponents)

Iowa (59): 14-9 (4 W's wins vs ranked teams, including a #5 & #12)

Cherrie picking teams to attempt to prove a point looks bad.

For the freshmen it is one thing. But when second year player isn't getting a sniff with the poor play ahead of them, I would be shocked if somehow they could be an upgrade next year.

Also, the news that the staff has lifted the lid on recruiting JUCO seems to indicate that they are expecting the light to come on for these guys.

What is troubling to me is the end of last season and the inability of Iowa to capitalize on an extremely soft schedule and a down Big 10. Next season the defense could actually regress. This is going to be a long off season. Iowa is going to have a huge rebuilding job on the d-line again and will replace 6 starters on defense. Iowa has to head into next season planning on outscoring foes.

This.

Next year's schedule starts as follows:

N. Illinois(Chicago)

ISU, C. Michigan, Minnesota, UNI all at home, Iowa should be 5-0 at the end of September. Would it shock anybody if Iowa went 3-2 during that stretch.

there are lots of programs worse off than us, even some that have better traditions as Jon pointed out. not excuses, facts

I don't know why either...someone might need to check your pulse. It wasn't a cheap shot...it's called sarcasm. But it did get the effect that I wanted. Maybe some people will bring the excuse machine to a halt and call this staff who they are...average over the last 5 years.

For someone in his fifties my heart rate is fine, thanks for caring, over the last five yrs this staff has won their last 3 bowls including an orange bowl, I thought the team underachieved last yr and unless they finish 7-5, I will be disappointed in this yr,but overall I'm still a Ferentz supporter, Sarcasm can still be considered a cheap shot,

Jon, no one cares about a handful of other down teams that have really good histories. They really don't have much to do with Iowa, and that's the team most of us care about around here.

His point is that everyone wants to win (badly) but even the best programs in the country have periods where they arent as succesful as they (and everyone else) want and expect them to be. Who are we/Iowa to demand and expect to be a top program in the country every year. Texas, Michigan, Florida, Miami, Penn State, Notre Dame, all want and demand to be the best in the country, it's just not always feasible. And you expect us to be? IMO I wouldn't get rid of the coach that has made us a top 10 program several times...

I think what's interesting is both sides of this argument desire is to stop beating a dead horse. Jon, when you bring yourself down to posters some lose respect for you. I understand they called you out but you bit that hook. People only. are about their own struggles and that's the society we live in. I wish I could stay from message boards but I love Iowa sports too much. It's sad seeing the way some fans act on message boards and at the games. My group was sitting by a few people who were negative from kickoff and it was as annoying as it gets. If you don't want to support Iowa football in a positive manner, please stay home and watch from your couch.

Latest posts