Yes, this is a disappointing stretch of Iowa football

For those of us that are old enough to remember the 60's and 70's, today's record would be elation time. One school not on your list is mighty Michigan! Another example is UCLA, no one even remembers when they were competitive.

Conversely, those of us who were eyewitnesses to Hayden's Hawkeyes of the early 80s to early 90s feel that Komatose Kirk is a disappointment, and the vast resources that are directed to Iowa football are not yielding a satisfactory ROI.

One more thing.

Last year was NOT a disappointing year by Iowa standards. 8 wins is an above average season.

People wanted more, but with no DC, a poor OLine after the guards went down, and a rookie ML, 8 wins was fine.

Not that terribly disappointed in our record this year, but, I am in how we've played in our losses, or more precisely, how we're so inconsistent one week to the next.

Last year, c'mon, was a huge underachieving, fat-cat, disappointing year. A dropped pass away from 6-6 with all that talent is simply not warranted.

One more thing.

Last year was NOT a disappointing year by Iowa standards. 8 wins is an above average season.

People wanted more, but with no DC, a poor OLine after the guards went down, and a rookie ML, 8 wins was fine.

It was a big time missed opportunity.

It was only a missed opportunity if you didn't actually see who was available to play.

Seriously, Iowa had a guard, MLB, and RB starting and taking all snaps who wouldn't have seen the field on another B1G team.

Not that terribly disappointed in our record this year, but, I am in how we've played in our losses, or more precisely, how we're so inconsistent one week to the next.

Inconsistency can be expected from inexperienced teams, and Iowa entered this year with the fewest returning starters of any team in the B1G. So this team being inconsistent should not be a huge surprise.

The lack of developing a competitive DL for this year's drop off is a concern, and Iowa should have spent more time looking at the Juco ranks last year. They greatly overestimated the talent they had on hand, or just chose to roll with it and not go the Juco route.

Even then, the defense has not been to blame this year or at least in the last three losses. The offense, for the second straight year and for the majority of the KF era, has failed to execute and produce much consistency.

Yesterday, Iowa had 8 first half possessions. The first possession was derailed by a penalty as well as a dropped pass...the second was an interception...another was also derailed by penalties and a fourth was stopped before it started with a turnover on a KOR.

The offense continues to be white knuckle and this program continues to be one of the worst I have seen at overcoming an empty play on first down, and then you know a run is coming on second down 70% of the time or more.

I enjoy watching Iowa's offense when its clicking, but they need more playmakers in the backfield. You need a home run hitter as a compliment if you have a jackhammer like Coker. Iowa might have that in McCall this year, but we can hardly assume that as McCall has 9 career carries and they came against Tennessee Tech.

Things need to come a little easier for this offense.

One of the most sobering components when looking ahead to next year is the defensive line situation is not going to get better..it may get worse.

I would be more interested to see the list of programs who were in the top 15 in the 02-05 range and how they have progressed or repressed.

Hard for things to come easy when every play requires perfect execution from all 11 players. Other teams design plays that isolate better.

For Iowa, it is 11 hats on 11 hats and all 11 need to win to be successful.

Inconsistency can be expected from inexperienced teams, and Iowa entered this year with the fewest returning starters of any team in the B1G. So this team being inconsistent should not be a huge surprise.

The lack of developing a competitive DL for this year's drop off is a concern, and Iowa should have spent more time looking at the Juco ranks last year. They greatly overestimated the talent they had on hand, or just chose to roll with it and not go the Juco route.

Even then, the defense has not been to blame this year or at least in the last three losses. The offense, for the second straight year and for the majority of the KF era, has failed to execute and produce much consistency.

Yesterday, Iowa had 8 first half possessions. The first possession was derailed by a penalty as well as a dropped pass...the second was an interception...another was also derailed by penalties and a fourth was stopped before it started with a turnover on a KOR.

The offense continues to be white knuckle and this program continues to be one of the worst I have seen at overcoming an empty play on first down, and then you know a run is coming on second down 70% of the time or more.

I enjoy watching Iowa's offense when its clicking, but they need more playmakers in the backfield. You need a home run hitter as a compliment if you have a jackhammer like Coker. Iowa might have that in McCall this year, but we can hardly assume that as McCall has 9 career carries and they came against Tennessee Tech.

Things need to come a little easier for this offense.

One of the most sobering components when looking ahead to next year is the defensive line situation is not going to get better..it may get worse.

The d line will be worse. Binns has been pretty good this year, Daniels has been solid. But the best guy we had that will return next year is Alvis, and who knows how he'll come back from his injury.

I would be more interested to see the list of programs who were in the top 15 in the 02-05 range and how they have progressed or repressed.

Combined winning percentage between 2002-2004

2. USC
4. Georgia
6t. Miami
6t. Texas
8. Iowa
9. Utah
12t. Michigan
17t. Tennessee
17t Florida State
20. Louisville

(also in Top 10 from then: Boise, Ohio State, Auburn and Oklahoma)

Iowa has been bowl eligible every year since 2001. None of these programs can say that. Also be reminded that between 2008-2010, Iowa had the 14th best winning percentage in the sport (11th among teams that played in BCS leagues during that span)..so it's not like it's been a slow fade since 2004

Not gonna say its not. Iowa is 14-9 since the start of the 2010 season, which isn't where the coaching staff wants to be, isn't where the players want to be and isn't where the fans want to be.

The same can be said for the coaches, players and fans of the following schools, who have a national title lineage and are among the winningest programs in the history of the sport. Their all time rank in winning percentage is in parenthesis:

Since the start of the 2010 season:

Texas (3): 11-10 (one win vs ranked opponent)
Miami (14): 12-13 (two wins vs ranked opponents)
Florida (16): 13-10 (bowl win vs unranked PSU, zero wins vs ranked teams)
Tennessee (9): 10-13 (zero wins vs ranked opponents)

Iowa (59): 14-9 (4 W's wins vs ranked teams, including a #5 & #12)

Just curious, how many of these losses by the teams above were to teams they were favored to beat by double digits?

For me it's not only about the wins or losses, but the consistency or lack there of. Something just hasn't felt right about the whole program the past few years.

Let's just call a spade a spade. The program, which has a river of resources flowing through it, is not looking good. This staff royally screwed up last year, which gets people thinking they have lost it or simply are not motivated. This year the team is extremely average. In both years there have been some ridiculous losses that should not happen. The icing on thus whole cake is a fat cat coach with a swimming pool of money, private jet time and.....poor results on the field. If people want to call for a coaching change, there is certainly ample reason. Its all about winning baby and we ain't doing enough of it.

The stretch isn't back to 2010, it's back to 2005. 2009 is looking more like an outlier. The glow of 2002-2004 is wearing off. Let's face it, the facts show that a 7-5 to 8-4 record is about where they'll end up most seasons, with an occasional 9-3 to 10-2 season tossed in. I wonder if this is Ferentz's ceiling?

I do think that part of it is related to Iowa presenting the same defense and basic offense each year. How much, I can't say. In 2002-2004, everything was still relatively new. When you look back historically, the winged-T Iowa ran in the mid to late 50s took about 5 years for teams to get a handle on. That's about the cycle, same with the schemes Iowa has employed since 1999.

Now, 7 years later, it's not so new, and I don't think you can overcome this by simply "out-executing" the opponent week in and week out; not if the opponent has years of data to digest on what to do.

I am also concerned about the lack of players Iowa has in the trenches, both sides. It's not just due to a lack of playing time because of last year's defensive line, it's a lack of talent, the big, nasty guys who can take it to the offensive and defensive lines of the Big Ten, assuming Iowa elects to maintain it's same style. It's just not there. This is a bigger mystery to me than why they continue with the same offensive and defensive philosophy. Maybe if the personnel gets better, all else will be forgiven and forgotten.

I am not one who wants Iowa to change coaches, including the coordinators, but it would be good for them to be open to some changes, not to change for change sake, but to stay a step ahead of their opponents. On the other hand, I don't subscribe to the "Tom Davis" argument either. Iowa football is a lot different positioned than Iowa basketball was when Davis left. It has all of the facilities, funding, support that the basketball program never really had at the time. Plus, I think they'd do a better job of finding a replacement. So, it's not the "be careful what you wish for" situation that people use as some harbinger of bad times for Iowa football if a change were made. With that said, I want Iowa to keep Ferentz, because I like him as Iowa's coach, but I also would like to see them refresh their image.

To borrow and paraphrase from Dennis Green (a former Hawkeye), "We are who we thought we were". Is that good enough?

There are really two groups of Iowa fans right now, a split fan base, while both WANT the Hawks to be successful.

The first group thinks everything is mostly ok & that normal ups & downs happen.
The second group thinks changes need to be made, on various levels.

There's some truth in both.
But I will say the second group is the one that is growing.

The team had a small freshman playing ML. No DC, a guy playing guard who was weaker than any of our 5th year DT's and a borderline walkon RB.

If Mac and Gettis don't get hurt, the team can probably overcome the other issues.

I'm hoping the one good thing that will come out of the football's staff complacency will be an increase in basketball donations and attendance. Fran does not seem like the type who will settle for being average like Ferentz. I think it's going to be a long time before we see Iowa get close to winning 10 games again.

The team had a small freshman playing ML. No DC, a guy playing guard who was weaker than any of our 5th year DT's and a borderline walkon RB.

If Mac and Gettis don't get hurt, the team can probably overcome the other issues.

They still wouldn't win more than 7 games no matter who was playing. It's the trend, remember?