Xavier Foster

From what I've read and heard, Iowa stands very little chance with Foster. That doesn't mean you don't recruit him, but going "All In" wouldn't be a great idea either.
I’m just curious where you’ve heard that? It’s one thing if it’s message board posters quite another if it’s a repeatable media member or someone who knows the kid.

I don’t know enough either way just interested to hear. I do know Xavier had been to a few games and Iowa practices so he should have some familiarity with the program.

I’m just curious where you’ve heard that? It’s one thing if it’s message board posters quite another if it’s a repeatable media member or someone who knows the kid.

I don’t know enough either way just interested to hear. I do know Xavier had been to a few games and Iowa practices so he should have some familiarity with the program.

Mostly pod cast and twitter skuzzle. Pat Hardy on All Hawkeyes Podcast - they discuss him a lot. Pat's said his gut feeling has always been that Simpson is going to be a lot tougher sale then DJ was. He said he doesn't know for sure either, but that he's always felt that Iowa had a way better shot with DJ then XF, which to me now, since DJ didn't even put Iowa in his top 3, is a real long shot.

Mostly pod cast and twitter skuzzle. Pat Hardy on All Hawkeyes Podcast - they discuss him a lot. Pat's said his gut feeling has always been that Simpson is going to be a lot tougher sale then DJ was. He said he doesn't know for sure either, but that he's always felt that Iowa had a way better shot with DJ then XF, which to me now, since DJ didn't even put Iowa in his top 3, is a real long shot.
Interesting. Our chances probably aren’t great but based on my completely uninformed opinion I like our chances with Xavier better. I’ve seen pictures of him at Iowa practices hanging out with Joe Weiskamp and Pat, and I’ve seen pictures of him with Iowa coaches dating back a few years. D.J. we hadn’t even offered until somewhat recently and his recruitment really blew up at a rate I haven’t seen with anyone.

On the recruiting front in general I saw this article recently about our current targets for 2019-2020:
It seems we are still focusing the majority of our time on the big name recruits (Brooks, Hall, Jackson-Davis). That’s great if we can land one, but if our chances are realistically slim with those types of guys, my question is where do we go if we can’t land them? How long do we wait on them? That’s the tough part of this, I like that we are going for impact guys, but if we don’t land them where do we turn? In the end the only thing that matters is results when they get to campus.

From what I've read and heard, Iowa stands very little chance with Foster. That doesn't mean you don't recruit him, but going "All In" wouldn't be a great idea either.
I don't think Fran has ever gone all in on anyone...is watching other guys as well. But I think Fran makes it known to anyone and everyone who his top priority is.

I don't think Fran has ever gone all in on anyone...is watching other guys as well. But I think Fran makes it known to anyone and everyone who his top priority is.

I hear ya, but kinda feels like he was all in on DJ and was all in on Ullis. He did find a back up plan for Ullis, but it didn't work. Jury is out if he'll take a different 19 PG.

Interesting. Our chances probably aren’t great but based on my completely uninformed opinion I like our chances with Xavier better. I’ve seen pictures of him at Iowa practices hanging out with Joe Weiskamp and Pat, and I’ve seen pictures of him with Iowa coaches dating back a few years. D.J. we hadn’t even offered until somewhat recently and his recruitment really blew up at a rate I haven’t seen with anyone.

On the recruiting front in general I saw this article recently about our current targets for 2019-2020:
It seems we are still focusing the majority of our time on the big name recruits (Brooks, Hall, Jackson-Davis). That’s great if we can land one, but if our chances are realistically slim with those types of guys, my question is where do we go if we can’t land them? How long do we wait on them? That’s the tough part of this, I like that we are going for impact guys, but if we don’t land them where do we turn? In the end the only thing that matters is results when they get to campus.

There's a 1 % chance they get one of these guys. No point in hyperventilating about it in my mind.

There's a 1 % chance they get one of these guys. No point in hyperventilating about it in my mind.
If that is true then why are our coaches spending their time on them that’s my question? We aren’t hearing names of middle level guys that they are really going after or offering. If we spend all the time on these guys and come up empty handed we might have to go a ways down to find someone.

It's speculation. Odds are if you pick the field against Iowa when it comes to a top national recruit not related to the head coach, you'll come out ahead quite often.

Rumor has it that Fran told both of his boys that if they didn’t sign with him he would send them to their room. :D

All the alumni in Iowa need to start visiting Foster. Maybe take him out to dinner, or pay for his date with his girl, loan him a car to get around. Fran needs some help. Time for the alumni to step up.

:)
OK, I'm going to name a star after him. Hope that helps.

Define overachieve. I expect 20 plus wins, a top 6 conference finish and an NCAA berth. Are you saying that have to do better than this? Because if you are I disagree 100%. Or are you saying they must overachieve based on whatever it is you expect? And do you have some direct connection to Foster where he told you Iowa MUST overachieve or he's going elsewhere?
They must take a group of mainly 3 star players and have a Cinderella season. They must not do interviews after crappy games they lose and say we weren't ready to play. Instead they must always be ready to play and all of them give 110%. In the last 3 or 4 years of watching the NCAA tournament, the teams that reach sweet 16 are in a different class than Iowa. Iowa doesn't show up to win every game. I understand they won't win every game but show up and play to win. Too many lackluster performances last year. That WILL NOT win over recruits.

Ouch! Those can be a bee-atch for basketball players.

Hopefully his recovery time is minimal. August is can be a slow month for HS players anyway, especially if nagging injuries are piling up. Then some leagues start up again in September.

Last edited:
Just gonna go ahead and lock in my “I told you so” for next year so the crazies here can get mad at me for announcing such an easy choice.

Although it seems like most of you have come to your senses that the Iowa BBall Team is never going to get any of these guys without paying some rents. And by rents, I mean pa-rents.

Even discussing this is total absurdity.

Just gonna go ahead and lock in my “I told you so” for next year so the crazies here can get mad at me for announcing such an easy choice.

Although it seems like most of you have come to your senses that the Iowa BBall Team is never going to get any of these guys without paying some rents. And by rents, I mean pa-rents.

We just got one of those players last year. Wieskamp was ranked 16th when he committed.

That's taking the cynical view that there are no honorable recruits or parents out there.

We just got one of those players last year. Wieskamp was ranked 16th when he committed.

Exactly, it's not "absurdity" to discuss it - it's an in-state recruit. While it's unlikely XF is going to become a Hawkeye because of the other offers he's likely to receive, he's still an instate talent who grew up a Hawk fan by all accounts. It'd be crazy if the fans didn't talk, have level expectations and hope Iowa were to land him.

Latest posts