Xavier Foster

Exactly, it's not "absurdity" to discuss it - it's an in-state recruit. While it's unlikely XF is going to become a Hawkeye because of the other offers he's likely to receive, he's still an instate talent who grew up a Hawk fan by all accounts. It'd be crazy if the fans didn't talk, have level expectations and hope Iowa were to land him.

If he does commit, he will just drop in the rankings soon after. Then guys can still come on here and say we never get 5 stars. If Carton would have committed last year, he would still be a 3 star and fans would complain that Fran relies too much on instate kids.

If he does commit, he will just drop in the rankings soon after. Then guys can still come on here and say we never get 5 stars. If Carton would have committed last year, he would still be a 3 star and fans would complain that Fran relies too much on instate kids.

If he commits to Iowa, he's probably the most over ranked player in the country, if he goes to Ohio State he's likely the kid Fran NEVER gets.

We just got one of those players last year. Wieskamp was ranked 16th when he committed.
Blue moon who happened to be a life long Hawkeye fan.

Like it or not, Iowa BB has been irrelevant for over two decades and missing top in staters is no new phenomena that just happened recently when Fran came on. Collison, Lafrentz, Hinrich, Barnes, and those are just the low hanging fruit. Top in state recruits with realistic chances at the NBA (not just hopes like Cook) aren’t coming here. Period.

Hate on me all you want, but until you prove me wrong it’s true.

aadff17834959e6ff4dd9cea8fce4268.jpg

Like it or not, Iowa BB has been irrelevant for over two decades and missing top in staters is no new phenomena that just happened recently when Fran came on. Collison, Lafrentz, Hinrich, Barnes, and those are just the low hanging fruit. Top in state recruits with realistic chances at the NBA (not just hopes like Cook) aren’t coming here. Period.

you're a broken record - good god we know. Iowa doesn't get elite players from any state let alone it's own. But, Iowa's chances with elite players from Iowa are higher then most tho wouldn't you agree? So, when a top kid comes out in Iowa, Iowa fans are going to discuss the possibility. It doesn't make them idiots. To be honest, Iowa only has one of those type of kids every blue moon, so you can't really blame Iowa or the fans for that. It's like we lost Carton and suddenly it's "well, Iowa never gets top in state kids". That's not true, I can name 2 Iowa did get since Fran's been here, during that time, there's really only been 3 or 4 of them to begin with.

I did just prove you wrong. You said Iowa never gets them. I proved they do. So now you change your stance to once every blue moon?

I did just prove you wrong. You said Iowa never gets them. I proved they do. So now you change your stance to once every blue moon?
I don't think Wieskamp is all that. He's definitely not Collison or Hinrich material, and not even Carton or Foster.

I don't think Wieskamp is all that. He's definitely not Collison or Hinrich material, and not even Carton or Foster.

No way to tell that right now, but he was similarly ranked and he was ranked a head of DJ and who knows where XF ends up- so you're only basis for saying that is cause you say so.

"If he commits to Iowa, he's probably the most over ranked player in the country, if he goes to Ohio State he's likely the kid Fran NEVER gets."

I really stand by this, and in a round about way, its what Fry is telling us.

Just some food for thought. Wisconsin who’s been to two final fours in the last 10 years and 9 tournaments, has missed on a bunch of top instate talent. I’m talking these were all top 60 level players.

-Kevon Looney (247 comp #11 in the country)
-Diamond Stone (247 comp #6 in the country)
-Henry Ellenson (247 comp #7 in the country)
-Tyler Herro (247 comp #37 in the country)
-Joey Hauser (247 comp #51 in the country)

All of this is to say even a school that has had a bunch of success doesn’t always get every instate guy.

No way to tell that right now, but he was similarly ranked and he was ranked a head of DJ and who knows where XF ends up- so you're only basis for saying that is cause you say so.
And we all know how well those rankings are as related to success in college, huh.

You probably pay for Mel Kiper's analysis too.

McCafferey's ranking has dropped 30-40 spots in the last few months; did he all of a sudden get shittier or all of those players got better? No. Those rankings are bullshit. On 24/7 alone he went from around 30th, dropped to 81, and now he's 60th. For F's sake man see it for what it is. Sit there with a straight face and tell me some hack internet scouts can tell people a recruit is 68th best in the country versus 42nd. After the first four or five it's all clickbait.

when they are elite, they have a lot of options. Iowa is not relevant in BB, at all. It's a long shot, but Iowa has got a few of them since Fran's been here, so not impossible. Is that fair to say?

And we all know how well those rankings are as related to success in college, huh.

McCafferey's ranking has dropped 30-40 spots in the last few months; did he all of a sudden get shittier or all of those players got better? No. Those rankings are bullshit. On 24/7 alone he went from around 30th, dropped to 81, and now he's 60th. For F's sake man see it for what it is. Sit there with a straight face and tell me some hack internet scouts can tell people a recruit is 68th best in the country versus 42nd. After the first four or five it's all clickbait.

I agree with that. Ranking a kid who's 16 to 17 years old is a joke and I take that stuff with a giant grain of salt. It's often times based off of potential. Which is why Pat has been so high. I think Uthoff outplayed his ranking. I think Woody didn't live up to it. I think Jok outplayed his ranking. I think Cook hasn't lived up to it. It's a crap shoot, but all we can go off of is what they are ranked. That's what we are basing this off of for this lil spat we're having. Fran has got a couple of in state kids that were highly ranked to stay home. I don't think you can really argue that point. So far your argument has been "well, those kids weren't/aren't really that good". So, basically Iowa can't win with you in regards to recruiting.

Amen to that. How folks don't realize that and gobble up that nonsense and get all fired up about it is beyond me. If you think you know the difference between the 33rd best right tackle prospect compared to the 78th your delusional. I mean sure people can sort out the top 20ish kids on pure talent and some projection and be closer to being right on them but you get further down that list and it's a total crap shoot. That goes for hoops football you name it.

Latest posts