WSJ: Iowa State could be odd man out in conference realignment

So why would a conference made up of these teams be an auto BCS conference?

From a basketball standpoint it would be a pretty stout league, but I'm not sure I see it on the football side.

If you don't care about ISU now, do you think I or Iowa State Fans will care that much about Iowa if we get left out?

Look, the collegiate thing to do is to "leave no man behind." If they don't, and it is exposed that this is just an exercise to maximize profits - money coming into the conferences and their member institutions - then this has nothing to do with amateur athletics any more. At that point, it by definition is a professional sports business and the non-profit exemption for BCS conferences really needs to go away.

but it's not the Big Ten's responsibility to 'not leave Iowa State behind'. They've been responsible and have taken care of their own. They're not the conference that's blowing up.

Yes it would with the Big East and Big 12 folding you have 2 BCS bids out there. This is what the new conference would look like:

Kansas
Kansas St
Missouri and/or West Virginia
Iowa State
Baylor
Cincinnati
South Florida
Louisville
TCU

If they look to add BYU, SMU, and Houston (or all 3) you would have a decent enough football conference that would get a BCS bid. Granted it isn't a sexy football conference but neither is the existing Big East. There is also talk of the Mnt West and Conf USA merging to get the other one. They attach top 15 qualifications for the auto bid to ensure quality of those games.

Let me throw you a life preserver before you drown yourself. LOL. "It's not a sexy football conference" and yet you think they deserve to keep their AQ status? Ummmmmmm....ok sparky. :rolleyes:

In the past, how many BCS bids have those schools accumlated all together? I know the answer, do you?

Let me throw you a life preserver before you drown yourself. LOL. "It's not a sexy football conference" and yet you think they deserve to keep their AQ status? Ummmmmmm....ok sparky. :rolleyes:

In the past, how many BCS bids have those schools accumlated all together? I know the answer, do you?

Is it 6 without WVU?

Just wondering. Seems like your causing yourself more grief and probably just preaching upon deaf ears.

Nope. I'm just fine. I fully understand that I have zero bearing on what happens with ISU. But as an Iowan, it's pretty sad, IMO, that people want ISU to drop down a level because of sports.

Nope. I'm just fine. I fully understand that I have zero bearing on what happens with ISU. But as an Iowan, it's pretty sad, IMO, that people want ISU to drop down a level because of sports.

Iowa actually has students and alumni that aren't from Iowa.

Hence the amount of people who don't care, or in my case, are indifferent.

I really don't see the benefit from Iowa's standpoint, but I don't see the harm either.

Iowa already gets whatever instate recruit they want (most of the time) over ISU.

Good for you. I've already addressed your kind.

Which is EXACTLY why I feel the way I do. You and your ticket gouging, curtain raising, coin minting, billboard raising, fog machine athletic director will find zero sympathy. It's coming around Stewey and you better duck. By the way - get the hell out of the taxpayers pockets. Athletic welfare is so uncool.

Which is EXACTLY why I feel the way I do. You and your ticket gouging, curtain raising, coin minting, billboard raising, fog machine athletic director will find zero sympathy. It's coming around Stewey and you better duck. By the way - get the hell out of the taxpayers pockets. Athletic welfare is so uncool.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but I don't make any decisions for ISU. As the matter of fact, I've never even attended a single class at ISU. So, maybe this post should be directed at JP?

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but I don't make any decisions for ISU. As the matter of fact, I've never even attended a single class at ISU. So, maybe this post should be directed at JP?

What!? You're an ISU fan but you didn't graduate from ISU? That's unheard of among cyclown fans. :rolleyes:

7 without WVU

TCU - 2
Cincinnati - 2
Louisville - 1
Kansas - 1
Kansas St - 1

And these teams have won a total of ...........wait for it.......THREE BCS games! Yes, they clearly deserve to keep their AQ status. :rolleyes:

I missed Cincy with 2.. only thought it was 1.

Everyone always forgets about Louisville and Kan St having one to their names though.

One thing that is ABUNDANTLY clear in this whole thing is...
football rules and is calling the shots

Nobody gives a ____ about basketball.
And certainly nobody gives two ______ about women's basketball, baseball, swimming, gymnastics, golf, field hockey, volleyball, or softball...and whatever else is out there.

This could be the end.
The beginning of the end.
The beginning coming with a national championship in a tournament amongst conference winners. The end coming with that we might as well just admit it's money and turn them into semi-pro or something.
Then it's just a development league. And as much as I love going to AAA baseball games where the food and beer is reasonable, it's still AAA baseball.

What does an ISU graduate call someone who drops out of Iowa after 3 years?

Boss.

Couldn't resist.

The alumni and other dynamics of the 2 schools are so different in many ways. Iowa alumni tend to be a little more liberal, ISU more conservative. Iowa's academics are focused on the life sciences, fine arts, and legal/social support services. ISU engineering, architecture, ag/vet (which I won't knock in the LEAST- I like to eat and I like my pets to be healthy too). Just a different kind of kid, in general. I'm an Iowa alumnus, my kids go to Iowa, but I also am an adviser for a student group at ISU, and I have to say that I like the kids from BOTH schools very much.
I think ISU grads tend to be stingier on their support, and that, along with being in a financially weaker conference set up over the years, has caused a real disparity in the athletic departments. Faced with Title IX issues, (Don't get me started, I'm progressive politically but think it's a DEEPLY flawed law that poorly addressed a real problem), Iowa was able to add womens' sports and preserve baseball, mens swimming, mens gymnastics, etc, that ISU could not due to $$. In 1970, the 2 schools had almost identical athletic departments, now ISU has the minumum of sports required by the NCAA to remain DI. So for the life of me, the $$$$ on the scoreboard????

All said, I wish the best for my ISU friends, but I'm smiling in the catbird seat of the Big 10.

Last edited:

Latest posts