WSJ: Iowa State could be odd man out in conference realignment

You guys are forgetting ISU's ace-in-the-hole: "The Cyclone Network" (Channel 99 on Mediacom...Ames & Des Moines, only).

obviously the author does not know about the 79 year old super-secret multi-million $ donor with the toothy grin. he's the deep throat that should be tracked down and interrogated before stories like this one are written.

Jon, should Iowa State become an orphan if/when the Big 12 dissolves, is it realistic to think the Board of Regents would attempt to force a BIG membership or attempt to leverage Iowa's participation?

The Iowa Board of Regents has ZERO say or influence on matters Big Ten related.

And as for Paul's post and thoughts, I do not think whatever is bad for Iowa is good for ISU and vice versa.

I dont want to see ISU left out of a 'BCS' league, because there are a lot of people that I really like who would be adversely affected.

Yes, that makes perfect sense! The BOR will tell the B10 to take ISU, or they'll pull Iowa out of the B10! I'm sure that will do the trick. Delaney, OSU, and Michigane will be quaking in their boots.

The BOR doesn't have that power and even if it did, one of Iowa's largest donors sits on the board. I don't see it happening.

I realize the BOR doesn't have any power in this, but that's never stopped it from trying to stick its nose in where it doesn't belong. My question was whether the board would attempt to intervene.

I fail to understand why Iowa fans think it would be funny or whatever if ISU was to fall out of a BCS conference. If you don't like ISU because of it's fans or sports, fine. But if you can't draw a line between sports and a learning institution inside of your very own state where 64 of the 99 counties have more kids attending, then you are truely, a sad individual. What's worse is that this whole realignment thing is based around sports (football), but the last time I checked college is supposed to be about education and developing America's future leaders. Having said all of this, I'm confident that the people that represent both Iowa and ISU in all of this have both of the school's and and citizen's best interests in mind.

I fail to understand why Iowa fans think it would be funny or whatever if ISU was to fall out of a BCS conference. If you don't like ISU because of it's fans or sports, fine. But if you can't draw a line between sports and a learning institution inside of your very own state where 64 of the 99 counties have more kids attending, then you are truely, a sad individual. What's worse is that this whole realignment thing is based around sports (football), but the last time I checked college is supposed to be about education and developing America's future leaders. Having said all of this, I'm confident that the people that represent both Iowa and ISU in all of this have both of the school's and and citizen's best interests in mind.
Actually the only one's I run into that feel this way are the guys only guys on this site who live in their mom's basements, so about 30 of them. I know for one thing reading Jon's comments, he does not feel this way and I thank him for that. I have family members who could be affected by such a fall at ISU, so its sad that some basement dwellers feel this way, but you take it with a grain of salt, they most likely live unhappy lives.

Bravo - JD - for posting that article. I referenced it earlier this year - clownie week - couldn't find it, now I have.

clownz like stewo should read that letter, and then read their posts (why do hok's think about the clownz the way they do).

Bravo - JD - for posting that article. I referenced it earlier this year - clownie week - couldn't find it, now I have.

clownz like stewo should read that letter, and then read their posts (why do hok's think about the clownz the way they do).
Speaking of one.

If you don't care about ISU now, do you think I or Iowa State Fans will care that much about Iowa if we get left out?

Look, the collegiate thing to do is to "leave no man behind." If they don't, and it is exposed that this is just an exercise to maximize profits - money coming into the conferences and their member institutions - then this has nothing to do with amateur athletics any more. At that point, it by definition is a professional sports business and the non-profit exemption for BCS conferences really needs to go away.

If these conferences can't find room in their money-grubbing conferences for 6 schools, then I say blow it up with the nuclear option.

It's beyond interesting, funny and intriguing now. It's time to let the Dodds, Borens, Delaneys and Scotts know there will be consequences. What else do we have to lose? There are a lot more people who don't care about college sports than do care, and at this point there is money on the table.

you know what...i agree with you for the most part. so do many other iowa fans.

your problem is that the OTHER 90% of iowa fans are going to tell ISU to go eff yourself and laugh at your demise because of the actions and attitudes of your fans towards iowa over the years. the article by clark just happens to be the end-all example. its just hilarious to even think that iowa would do anything for the benefit of ISU at this point out of goodwill. the only way iowa helps ISU is if there is a financial or political benefit to them.

what do academics have to do with what conference you play in?

Actually the only one's I run into that feel this way are the guys only guys on this site who live in their mom's basements, so about 30 of them. I know for one thing reading Jon's comments, he does not feel this way and I thank him for that. I have family members who could be affected by such a fall at ISU, so its sad that some basement dwellers feel this way, but you take it with a grain of salt, they most likely live unhappy lives.

This pretty much sums it up. Only the sad/unhappy want to see other drug down to their level. I fully understand that the few loud voices here do not represent the Iowa fanbase, nor should they. I just think those few have no idea what their hoping/wishing for. They are also the ones the make it a point to type 'clowns' in nearly every post. See below...

You stay precious.

your problem is that the OTHER 90% of iowa fans are going to tell ISU to go eff yourself and laugh at your demise because of the actions and attitudes of your fans towards iowa over the years. the article by clark just happens to be the end-all example. its just hilarious to even think that iowa would do anything for the benefit of ISU at this point out of goodwill. the only way iowa helps ISU is if there is a financial or political benefit to them.
You know my family and my wife's family live in Cedar Rapids, both families are huge ISU fans and being in the heart of Iowa country, nobody in that area (Hawk fans) feels this way from everyone I talk to. I think the BS comes from Hawk fans in the Des Moines area, maybe cause they are outnumbered?

And as for Paul's post and thoughts, I do not think whatever is bad for Iowa is good for ISU and vice versa.

I dont want to see ISU left out of a 'BCS' league, because there are a lot of people that I really like who would be adversely affected.

Tell JP hello from us Hawk fans. :rolleyes:

This pretty much sums it up. Only the sad/unhappy want to see other drug down to their level. I fully understand that the few loud voices here do not represent the Iowa fanbase, nor should they. I just think those few have no idea what their hoping/wishing for. They are also the ones the make it a point to type 'clowns' in nearly every post. See below...

You stay precious.

you keep posting pictures of yourself. haven't had a laugh in a while.

So what does that make you? The guy who spends far too much time posting on other team's fan forums because he really cares what those "basement dwellers" think? A basement dweller lover, if you will.

what do academics have to do with what conference you play in?

Anymore? Nothing. See: Nebraska to the Big 10.

Anyway, what did I say about acedemics vs. the conference teams play in? I talked about a college in the state of Iowa that has nearly 30,000 students and how some people are too dense to draw a line between sports and a college's true purpose...education. Clear now?

I don't know clark, don't care what he thinks and when I saw his article posted here, did not want to invest the time to read - too long for no payoff. Don't assume that one person speaks for all of us, and I won't assume the 90% of Iowa fans (as you specified yourself) speaks for you.

Latest posts