WOW Andersen to Oregon State

Except that...he's a already a multi-millionare, a west-coast guy, and 50 yrs old with a family. Maybe he sees the opportunity to do what he loves with significantly less pressure...and be in position to retire anytime he wants, where he wants to. Not to mention that Mama may want to be back on the Left Coast.

Actually...makes a lot of sense to me. Probably easier to see if you're over 45.

If you are a head football coach of a Power Five school, the demands and stresses on you related to your time are pretty much going to be similar everywhere you go...and these guys are cut from a similar cloth with very similar personality traits.

And since when is the state of Utah the left coast? And Utah (where he was born and raised and played and coached) and Oregon couldn't be more philosophically different. Madison will seem as conservative as Oklahoma once he gets to Oregon.

I wish Gar Bar were meddlesome

Exactly, I think 99.9% of hawk fans would love to have Alvarez as an AD. Hell, that program has been to 6 Rose Bowls and 3 of 4 BIG title games since we've been to one. With 3 different coaches. And each of those coaches won at Kinnick

Sorry but I have to completely disagree with that Jon. Alvarez is widely respected in the football community. You don't get invited to be on the Playoff committee if you are a hard person to be around or have an abrasive personality nor to you last 25 years at one institution if you can't handle interpersonal dynamics.

wisconsin does have higher academic standards. Illinois and Wisconsin are the only 2 schools in the conference that don't relax their standards to meet the basic qualifier standard and that includes Michigan and Northwestern.

Watched Alvarez's presser on the BTN and I can't imagine another AD instilling more confidence. Wasn't angry at Andersen at all, in fact he was extremely complimentary. That doesn't come off as an AD that's hard to work for.

Barry has a lot of power. I'm not sure that works well if you're trying to actually run a football program when the AD, and architect of the program, is VERY involved.

I don't know, but I believe this is about Barry. People close to the program have described him in less than complimentary terms. There's an old saying, "you don't leave your organization, you leave your boss."

Two successful coaches have left UW now...

Exactly, I think 99.9% of hawk fans would love to have Alvarez as an AD. Hell, that program has been to 6 Rose Bowls and 3 of 4 BIG title games since we've been to one. With 3 different coaches. And each of those coaches won at Kinnick

Dad gum it those numbers just **** me off. 6 Rose Bowls. Christ I've told my wife that come hell or high water when we do go to Pasedena I am going and not gonna hold back when I do go. The more we keep going the way we are I start to get that feeling that it might just never happen yet Wisky went to 6 with 3 coaches in a 15 year span.

Makes no sense to me that he leaves Wiscy for that job. Wisconsin is a beautiful midwestern state not unlike Oregon in. You are only a quick jet ride to go out there if you want. Money is no issue for him. Had to be dislike for Barry.

Wisc. is beautiful during the 4 months of the year it isn't covered in snow & ice. Cold, ice, snow, salty, messy, gritty, grimey, crap = Wisc. weather. Can't blame him for wanting to get the hell out of there.

Barry has a lot of power. I'm not sure that works well if you're trying to actually run a football program when the AD, and architect of the program, is VERY involved.

I don't know, but I believe this is about Barry. People close to the program have described him in less than complimentary terms. There's an old saying, "you don't leave your organization, you leave your boss."

Maybe Barry actually has expectations for his coaches?
Iowa athletics suck right now. Worst athletic program in the BIG. Obviously there are no (or very low) expectations at Iowa.

As far as the people close to the program at Wisc.? Maybe they want to go back to the way things were at Wisc. before Barry? I doubt it..

He can say it's not about Barry, but Barry is probably the most micro-manager of an AD in the country...as shocking as the news is, it almost isn't in some ways...

It's funny seeing posters question Jon's knowledge on this topic / Barry when it's fairly well known that Barry is a tough boss to work for...micro-manager, known to meddle. It's no secret he casts a shadow over the HC at Wisconsin. I think on some level, Alvarez can't give up being a head coach...you know he has to be excited to coach in YET ANOTHER bowl game as the AD / Interim HC. How many other AD's would even consider doing that (even with former HC experience)?

It's funny seeing posters question Jon's knowledge on this topic / Barry when it's fairly well known that Barry is a tough boss to work for...micro-manager, known to meddle. It's no secret he casts a shadow over the HC at Wisconsin. I think on some level, Alvarez can't give up being a head coach...you know he has to be excited to coach in YET ANOTHER bowl game as the AD / Interim HC. How many other AD's would even consider doing that (even with former HC experience)?

Only one Bill Snyder.. Barry could hire himself as HC again and make it worth it..say 4 mill per year for 10 years.......

exactly.
We saw it here.
Except when Evy threw his tantrum because he couldn't be HC and AD, he wasn't going to allow anyone else to succeed as HC at Iowa.

I question Jon's objectivity when it comes to about anything Wisconsin related. I get it, I hate Wisconsin too and I'm jealous of their success over the last 20 years in both major sports but I don't let it affect my judgement of a very tough adversary. To do so is what be what my kids call "being a hater."

Alvarez was a fantastic coach and IMO he's been an exceptional AD as well. Heresay/rumor aside, you don't have that type of longevity AND success at one institution if you don't know how to handle people. I think the opposite is true actually, that Alvarez let's his coaches do their thing.

I see that Barry is going to coach the bowl game. So much for letting his coaches "do their thing". Alvarez needs to move to Texas, his ego is too large to fit inside the state of Wisconsin.....

I see that Barry is going to coach the bowl game. So much for letting his coaches "do their thing". Alvarez needs to move to Texas, his ego is too large to fit inside the state of Wisconsin.....

What was he going to do? Have Andersen coach the team. All the Wisconsin players asked if he would coach them. Can you imagine Scherff asking Barta to coach the bowl game?

He should let the offensive & defensive coordinators run the show. That would provide same hands off approach that Andersen used in every game and perhaps demonstrate to potential coach candidates that maybe he isn't the overbearing AD that many are making him out to be....

He wont coach anything. He'll be a figure head down there. Im sure he'll give himself a bonus though

Latest posts