WOW Andersen to Oregon State

No doubt Barry has to be a lot to be around. His brain probably started whirring in excitement at the thought that he gets to coach another bowl game.

I also don't doubt that a P12 gig has probably been a dream of a Utah guy like Gary for a couple decades. Almost like going home for him and his family.

I wish Barry Alvarez was our AD right now...instead we got a guy who proudly wears KF's letter jacket.

Yup. Hire Barry immediately. Please. Then, you, too, can have absolute chaos in your football program. Barry will be next to be fired, if W. has any sense. This from an Iowa fanatic who has lived in W. since 1981 and is a fanatic about following BT football. Wahoo! I love it, I love it!

Sorry but I have to completely disagree with that Jon. Alvarez is widely respected in the football community. You don't get invited to be on the Playoff committee if you are a hard person to be around or have an abrasive personality nor to you last 25 years at one institution if you can't handle interpersonal dynamics.

wisconsin does have higher academic standards. Illinois and Wisconsin are the only 2 schools in the conference that don't relax their standards to meet the basic qualifier standard and that includes Michigan and Northwestern.

Watched Alvarez's presser on the BTN and I can't imagine another AD instilling more confidence. Wasn't angry at Andersen at all, in fact he was extremely complimentary. That doesn't come off as an AD that's hard to work for.

Of course Barry Alvarez is respected, because he is a Hall of Fame coach. But that doesn't make you a Hall of Fame boss...not hardly. I know Bret felt Barry was a meddling overlord.

Gary Anderson just left Wisconsin for Oregon State, MAYBE the 8th best job in the Pac 12. He had the best job in the Big Ten West, and no worse than the 5th best job in the Big Ten...and arguably the best % chance of making the B1G title game of any team in the league other than Ohio State, based on recent history

Doesn't add up

Not only that, but he is following a top notch coach who found a way to have success at Oregon State. Not a good scenario for most coaches. If you're gonna take a crappy job (like Mason to Minnesota or something), you want the opportunity to turn it around. Instead, Anderson will be fighting to maintain the same level of success, which already has the locals somewhat grumpy (unfairly so).

Of course Barry Alvarez is respected, because he is a Hall of Fame coach. But that doesn't make you a Hall of Fame boss...not hardly. I know Bret felt Barry was a meddling overlord.

Gary Anderson just left Wisconsin for Oregon State, MAYBE the 8th best job in the Pac 12. He had the best job in the Big Ten West, and no worse than the 5th best job in the Big Ten...and arguably the best % chance of making the B1G title game of any team in the league other than Ohio State, based on recent history

Doesn't add up

Except that...he's a already a multi-millionare, a west-coast guy, and 50 yrs old with a family. Maybe he sees the opportunity to do what he loves with significantly less pressure...and be in position to retire anytime he wants, where he wants to. Not to mention that Mama may want to be back on the Left Coast.

Actually...makes a lot of sense to me. Probably easier to see if you're over 45.

You never know the real reasons. I say kudos to him. Maybe he really did want to get back closer to home. Maybe he thought OSU is someplace he would like to end his career. Maybe some of it was Barry. Happy for him. Happy for any person who follows what they feel is right for them. He seems like a good guy and he will be a loss to the Big 10 conference. I am most surprised he is leaving so soon... Oregon is beautiful country so maybe that was very appealing.

Not only that, but he is following a top notch coach who found a way to have success at Oregon State. Not a good scenario for most coaches. If you're gonna take a crappy job (like Mason to Minnesota or something), you want the opportunity to turn it around. Instead, Anderson will be fighting to maintain the same level of success, which already has the locals somewhat grumpy (unfairly so).

Oregon State is a low pressure job and Riley wasn't really all that successful. He was coming off a 5-7 season and had a few decent seasons but none really great. I'm guessing the Beavers are glad to have Gary Andersen and he will do at least as well as Riley.

Makes no sense to me that he leaves Wiscy for that job. Wisconsin is a beautiful midwestern state not unlike Oregon in. You are only a quick jet ride to go out there if you want. Money is no issue for him. Had to be dislike for Barry.

...Wisconsin is a beautiful midwestern state not unlike Oregon...
They are both beautiful college cities but here are the average temps for Corvallis and Madison. I know climate is a huge factor for my wife and that has figured into our future plans. Don't discount climate

JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec

Doesn't add up

you "know" Bielema felt that Alvarez was a meddling overlord? How exactly? That doesn't add up with Bielema staying in Madison nearly a decade. He was an assistant with Alvarez PRIOR to taking the head coaching job so I doubt he would A) take the job or B) stay on the job as head coach for so many years if he thought Alvarez was meddlesome. That simply doesn't add up.

Listening to Alvarez, hearing his decision making process, etc he sounds like a guy that is very even keeled and astute. In short Alvarez knows what he's doing. He hired one coach (Bielema) that went to 3 Rose Bowls and another coach (Andersen) that won the west Division with a horrendous QB in year 2. Alvarez knows what he's doing. Being a head coach is like being a CEO and being an AD even more so. I would love to have Alvarez over Barta. I'd kill for it.

Is Madtown on the bottom there?
Yup, not as bad as I thought it would be before I looked it up but that is five months w/ freezing temperatures. The overall averages aren't that different. More rain in Oregon, but look at the average snowfall figures

Corvallis weather averages

Annual high temperature:63.4°F
Annual low temperature:41.9°F
Average temperature:52.65°F
Average annual precipitation - rainfall:42.76 inch
Days per year with precipitation - rainfall:-
Annual hours of sunshine:-
Av. annual snowfall:3 inch

Madison weather averages

Annual high temperature:55.8°F
Annual low temperature:36.8°F
Average temperature:46.3°F
Average annual precipitation - rainfall:34.44 inch
Days per year with precipitation - rainfall:-
Annual hours of sunshine:-
Av. annual snowfall:53 inch

I think we can all agree this thread has answered a pressing question that needed answering: GLOBAL WARMING IS A SCAM!!!

you "know" Bielema felt that Alvarez was a meddling overlord? How exactly? That doesn't add up with Bielema staying in Madison nearly a decade. He was an assistant with Alvarez PRIOR to taking the head coaching job so I doubt he would A) take the job or B) stay on the job as head coach for so many years if he thought Alvarez was meddlesome. That simply doesn't add up.

Listening to Alvarez, hearing his decision making process, etc he sounds like a guy that is very even keeled and astute. In short Alvarez knows what he's doing. He hired one coach (Bielema) that went to 3 Rose Bowls and another coach (Andersen) that won the west Division with a horrendous QB in year 2. Alvarez knows what he's doing. Being a head coach is like being a CEO and being an AD even more so. I would love to have Alvarez over Barta. I'd kill for it.

I wish Gar Bar were meddlesome

Latest posts