• Yes, without hesitation

Votes: 36 56.3%
  • No, without exception

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Yes, conditionally

Votes: 16 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not getting carried away. You hope when they are young that you help them with decisions and right from wrong so that when they get older they won't have dad or mom still holding their hands. You have to let them go sooner or later. I had three sons who enjoyed life until they realized it was time to go out on their own. Now they really enjoy life and one reason is because dad and mom aren't looking over their shoulder anymore and they know right from wrong and for the most part, they make good decisions.

I am totally for my kid wrestling. As a parent you have to set the rules and not allow them to compete at a weight that isn't safe. Protecting your kid is part of being a parent.

I'm not getting carried away. You hope when they are young that you help them with decisions and right from wrong so that when they get older they won't have dad or mom still holding their hands. You have to let them go sooner or later. I had three sons who enjoyed life until they realized it was time to go out on their own. Now they really enjoy life and one reason is because dad and mom aren't looking over their shoulder anymore and they know right from wrong and for the most part, they make good decisions.

why you think this is relevant is beyond me. I said earlier I would allow my kids to wrestle at their natural weight. I wrestled in Jr high and enjoyed it, but was over 5-10 as a freshman so I outgrow it.

so will you ask him if he wants to try it like you would basketball

or would it have to be something that he would have to ask about?

My parents never asked me if I wanted to do anything. I had to ask if I wanted to do it. I even wrestled for a few years early elementary. I grew up with wrestling, basketball, football, and baseball in my family. I tired them all and ended up playing basketball, baseball and golf.

Now I never wanted to show pigs for example, which my wife thinks is crazy that I didn't growing up on a farm. Dad never encouraged it and I never brought it up. If I had a desire to do it he would've let me, but I didn't so I never asked.

I have daughters, so it's kind of moot, but I would absolutely allow it. I think it's one of the best ways for young men to learn discipline, which sadly, is very lacking in our youth these days.

It's like Gable said, "Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."

Movies can be very misleading. The only movie I ever watched that was right on was Platoon. That's exactly what it was like.

I am sorry, but these kind of posts really chap my hyde. . . I wrestled in high school. I have coached wrestling from kids through the varsity level and am also a wrestling referee. I am so tired of hearing about all of the negative aspects of wrestling from those who trully are not familiar with the sport. Are there people who cut too much weight - YES. Are there wrestlers who get skin infections - YES. As a coach and a parent, as someone said above, wrestlers are not allowed to lose more than 1.5% of their body weight per week. All extreme dehydration activities are prohibited by national federation rule. Of course, there are ways around EVERY rule and there are always going to be those who "push the envelope". I never wanted any of my wrestlers to lose more weight than they were comfortable losing. I maintained a good line of communication with all of the parents of the kids that I coached and they were of the weight their son would be competing at. It is amazing how easy it is to begin losing weight once practice started and healthy eating began. A lot of time was spent sterilizing mats and preaching to wrestlers about skin care.

Wrestling teaches a lot of things that transcend sports. Discipline, hard work, dedication and patience among other things. It is one of the only sports that I am aware of where there is a direct correlation in how hard you work to success.

I guess if you want to look for the bad things in anything, you are going to find them. . . but if a kid wants to wrestle - I would not let cutting weight or the possibility of getting a skin disorder stop them. . .

I am sorry, but these kind of posts really chap my hyde. . . I wrestled in high school. I have coached wrestling from kids through the varsity level and am also a wrestling referee. I am so tired of hearing about all of the negative aspects of wrestling from those who trully are not familiar with the sport. Are there people who cut too much weight - YES. Are there wrestlers who get skin infections - YES. As a coach and a parent, as someone said above, wrestlers are not allowed to lose more than 1.5% of their body weight per week. All extreme dehydration activities are prohibited by national federation rule. Of course, there are ways around EVERY rule and there are always going to be those who "push the envelope". I never wanted any of my wrestlers to lose more weight than they were comfortable losing. I maintained a good line of communication with all of the parents of the kids that I coached and they were of the weight their son would be competing at. It is amazing how easy it is to begin losing weight once practice started and healthy eating began. A lot of time was spent sterilizing mats and preaching to wrestlers about skin care.

Wrestling teaches a lot of things that transcend sports. Discipline, hard work, dedication and patience among other things. It is one of the only sports that I am aware of where there is a direct correlation in how hard you work to success.

I guess if you want to look for the bad things in anything, you are going to find them. . . but if a kid wants to wrestle - I would not let cutting weight or the possibility of getting a skin disorder stop them. . .

I was with you until this part. Every sport if you try harder you will do better and have more success. Talent is a huge part to all of those things. However, if you work your tail off as a wrestler and have no talent you still won't be very good. Same as if you have some talent you can improve with hard work and be successful.

If I have a son in grade school who wrestles and his coach tells him he has to lose weight in order to wrestle, I'll take that coach out into the alley and beat the hell out of him.
Nice. You're an excellent ambassador for the sport!

However, if you work your tail off as a wrestler and have no talent you still won't be very good.

there have been lots of college wrestlers that didn't have the most talent or the success then went on to wrestle at the college level just for the love of the sport where they learned or were coached what dedication, commitment etc and went on to beat kids that used to mop them up in high school. this happens A LOT at the dIII level and all levels for that matter and have plenty of examples because i got beat by a lot of them in college who worked their tails off and all i cared about was partying...sad

there have been lots of college wrestlers that didn't have the most talent or the success then went on to wrestle at the college level just for the love of the sport where they learned or were coached what dedication, commitment etc and went on to beat kids that used to mop them up in high school. this happens A LOT at the dIII level and all levels for that matter and have plenty of examples because i got beat by a lot of them in college who worked their tails off and all i cared about was partying...sad

True, I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying it can be done in all sports, not just wrestling like the previous post suggested.
And if you have no talent, like can't walk and chew gum at the same time. It is going to be hard to excel even with hard work.

While I agree that the parents upset about the kid eating pizza falls well short of child abuse I still feel restricting a childs diet (unless it's specficially for health reasons or to promote healthy physical development) to allow them to compete in sports is wrong, and parents that do this are misguided at best.

Even though you feel it is wrong it still is not child abuse unless they are going extreme to where it is effecting his health.

so will you ask him if he wants to try it like you would basketball

or would it have to be something that he would have to ask about?

No I probably won't ask him, it would be something he would have to ask me about. I wouldn't ask him if he wants to try dance or ballet either, now I would tell him he couldn't do those things, but I wouldn't tell him he can't wrestle. Wrestling is not a sport I will ask if he wants to do though, no.
Golf would be a good example. Do you golf? If not, would you ask your kid if he wants to golf? Probably not, if he asks you to do it you let him try it out. If not, you don't push golf on a kid who doesn't express any interest in it. I would not push wrestling on my kid if he never showed any interest in it. Now my 4 year old already golfs alot and is pretty darned good at it for a 4 year old. The reason he has gotten into it is because I love to play and play a lot.
I guess what I am saying is your children tend to take interest in what you expose them to and what their parents like. He has been to football and basketball games with me and he is interested in those sports, so I am assuming he will want to play those. Will I push him into them? No, but he is already expressing interest in them and has asked to play them. I won't shelter him from wrestling or anything and if he expresses interest he can try it out. But I certainly won't push it on him, since it is a sport I don't pay that much attention to and don't expose him to.

Last edited:
I was with you until this part. Every sport if you try harder you will do better and have more success. Talent is a huge part to all of those things. However, if you work your tail off as a wrestler and have no talent you still won't be very good. Same as if you have some talent you can improve with hard work and be successful.

I agree with you Farmer. Most sports the harder you work the better you become at the sport. Golf is excellent example.

Latest posts