Would Iowa's NIT chances be helped by a loss vs NW?

DuffMan

Iowa finds itself in an odd situation. NW is currently on most analysts "last 4 in" bubble. With a loss on Saturday to Iowa that very well may translate into "last 4 out". Iowa's NCAA chances are almost non-existent barring some miracle run in the B10 tourney, that said their NIT chances are very much alive.

The NIT is certain to take at least 1 B10 team. Who they take depends somewhat on who makes the NCAA tournament. The B10 currently sits with 6 teams in the dance. By all accounts Ohio State, MSU, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, and Wisky have already done enough to make the field. If NW makes the NCAA field that would make Iowa a very attractive choice.

Illinois is currently sitting at 17-12 (6-10) but staring at 17-14 (6-12) directly in the face as they wrap up the season playing at home against Michigan and on the road in Madison. If they manage to win the next two they certainly get the bid ahead of Iowa. If they loose both it's hard to see them jumping over Iowa for the bid.

Minnesota is flat out of the picture at this point. Losers of 7 of their last 8, and the best they can finish is 18-13 (6-12). I just can't see the Gophers making a compelling case to leapfrog an Iowa team that will finish no worse than a tie for 6th in the B10.

So now we end up staring directly at NW and Iowa. Iowa has some big wins (much better wins than NW has) on their resume, but their weak non-conference schedule and their corresponding weak RPI make it tough to imagine they get a NIT bid over NW provided the Cats don't make their first ever NCAA tournament.

What this all boils down to is Iowa might be better off losing to NW on Saturday as NW making the NCAA tournament can only be viewed as a good thing for Iowa's NIT chances. The big question might be did Iowa do enough in the conference season, and is the B10 strong enough to merit two B10 teams in the NIT if NW doesn't make it? We might not know the answer to that until Selection Sunday and we see the results of all the one bid league's conference tournaments.

Iowa finds itself in an odd situation. NW is currently on most analysts "last 4 in" bubble. With a loss on Saturday to Iowa that very well may translate into "last 4 out". Iowa's NCAA chances are almost non-existent barring some miracle run in the B10 tourney, that said their NIT chances are very much alive.

The NIT is certain to take at least 1 B10 team. Who they take depends somewhat on who makes the NCAA tournament. The B10 currently sits with 6 teams in the dance. By all accounts Ohio State, MSU, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, and Wisky have already done enough to make the field. If NW makes the NCAA field that would make Iowa a very attractive choice.

Illinois is currently sitting at 17-12 (6-10) but staring at 17-14 (6-12) directly in the face as they wrap up the season playing at home against Michigan and on the road in Madison. If they manage to win the next two they certainly get the bid ahead of Iowa. If they loose both it's hard to see them jumping over Iowa for the bid.

Minnesota is flat out of the picture at this point. Losers of 7 of their last 8, and the best they can finish is 18-13 (6-12). I just can't see the Gophers making a compelling case to leapfrog an Iowa team that will finish no worse than a tie for 6th in the B10.

So now we end up staring directly at NW and Iowa. Iowa has some big wins (much better wins than NW has) on their resume, but their weak non-conference schedule and their corresponding weak RPI make it tough to imagine they get a NIT bid over NW provided the Cats don't make their first ever NCAA tournament.

What this all boils down to is Iowa might be better off losing to NW on Saturday as NW making the NCAA tournament can only be viewed as a good thing for Iowa's NIT chances. The big question might be did Iowa do enough in the conference season, and is the B10 strong enough to merit two B10 teams in the NIT if NW doesn't make it? We might not know the answer to that until Selection Sunday and we see the results of all the one bid league's conference tournaments.
Wow. I think we want to WIN Saturday. The NIT can take more than one Big Ten team. McCaffrey in his post-game show also said that he still thinks Iowa is on the bubble for the NCAA. Win Saturday, beat the #10 seed in the BTT, upset somebody in the next game, and then who knows?

Nah, Iowa wins and finishes 9-9 in conference play they have a good shot at an NIT bid.

At this point I want Iowa to burst Northwesterns bubble. It would be nice payback.

Nah, Iowa wins and finishes 9-9 in conference play they have a good shot at an NIT bid.

At this point I want Iowa to burst Northwesterns bubble. It would be nice payback.

I'd agree with you, but depending on what happens in the conference tourneys of the 1 bid leagues there might not be room for 2 B10 teams at large.

You want Iowa to win on Saturday. It helps their chances to get into the NIT.
There is room in the NIT for both NW and Iowa. In fact, if Iowa beats NW and can get the win over (presumably) Minn, it might just happen.

Nah, Iowa wins and finishes 9-9 in conference play they have a good shot at an NIT bid.At this point I want Iowa to burst Northwesterns bubble. It would be nice payback.

Agreed. I pretty much just want NW to lose all the time. I really want the Hawks to win on Sat no matter what.

If it means we get delegated to one of those other tournaments then so be it. We owe them Duff, I am tired of getting screwed by NW. Saturday is payback time!

Make no mistake I want to beat the real NU, I just wonder if that comes back to bite us.

A loss to NW and we dont get in for sure makes this discussion pretty easy

And how is NW on the bubble at all? They have one good win (mich state) and one decent win (seton hall). The rest of their wins are garbage and they are 7-10 in conference. I guess the bubble is that soft but there have to be more deserving teams than this collection of ugly ducklings

Make no mistake I want to beat the real NU, I just wonder if that comes back to bite us.

It can't possibly bite Iowa.

If Iowa wins, here's what you have:
Iowa 17-14 (9-9), wins over 4 Top 25 teams, winners of 6 out of their last 9
Northwestern 17-13 (7-11), 1 win over Top 25 teams, losers of 5 out of their last 7.

Iowa actually looks better for the NIT than NW at that point.

Last edited:
You're completely ignoring the BTT. If Iowa beats NW they get the 7 seed (looking like MN) then it looks like they would get MI, another winnable game. NW could lose their first round game. This would put Iowa ahead of NW in NIT pecking order IMO. In other words...just win, baby!

Why would you not want a win to possibly set up the improbable. MN round 1 whom we swept with MI in the wings who we beat and match up much better than say 2nd round msu

It can't possibly bite Iowa. If Iowa wins, here's what you have:Iowa 17-14 (9-9), wins over 4 Top 25 teams, winners of 6 out of their last 9Northwestern 17-13 (7-11), zero wins over Top 25 teams, losers of 5 out of their last 7.Iowa actually looks better for the NIT than NW at that point.

wouldn't NW's RPI still be 40+ places better than Iowas? How big a factor is that?

As we all know the Big Ten is the best conference in college basketball from top to bottom,the NIT will jump at the chance to have 2 Big Ten teams in its tournement. I say beat NW and see what happens. The Hawks could go on a run in the Big Ten Tournement and make the big show! One at a time and keep playin hard! Good things will happen! GO HAWKS!!

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

This is almost as bad as when you reasoned that an external DC hire would cause less of a shake-up than an internal DC hire.

Latest posts