Would Iowa's NIT chances be helped by a loss vs NW?

does the 40 place split seem right? I'm guessing 70 to 110.

Doesn't matter. If we lose, we probably have no shot at the NIT (barring a BTT run). If we win we have a chance at the NIT.

Chance > No Chance
Win > Loss

Root for Iowa.

does the 40 place split seem right? I'm guessing 70 to 110.

Depends on the BTT.
Lets say both teams lose first round. Probably a good 40+ split.
Both teams still could get in theoretically, Iowa likely needs two more wins though. 1 might be enough (the win over NW)

Iowa finds itself in an odd situation. NW is currently on most analysts "last 4 in" bubble. With a loss on Saturday to Iowa that very well may translate into "last 4 out". Iowa's NCAA chances are almost non-existent barring some miracle run in the B10 tourney, that said their NIT chances are very much alive.

The NIT is certain to take at least 1 B10 team. Who they take depends somewhat on who makes the NCAA tournament. The B10 currently sits with 6 teams in the dance. By all accounts Ohio State, MSU, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, and Wisky have already done enough to make the field. If NW makes the NCAA field that would make Iowa a very attractive choice.

Illinois is currently sitting at 17-12 (6-10) but staring at 17-14 (6-12) directly in the face as they wrap up the season playing at home against Michigan and on the road in Madison. If they manage to win the next two they certainly get the bid ahead of Iowa. If they loose both it's hard to see them jumping over Iowa for the bid.

Minnesota is flat out of the picture at this point. Losers of 7 of their last 8, and the best they can finish is 18-13 (6-12). I just can't see the Gophers making a compelling case to leapfrog an Iowa team that will finish no worse than a tie for 6th in the B10.

So now we end up staring directly at NW and Iowa. Iowa has some big wins (much better wins than NW has) on their resume, but their weak non-conference schedule and their corresponding weak RPI make it tough to imagine they get a NIT bid over NW provided the Cats don't make their first ever NCAA tournament.

What this all boils down to is Iowa might be better off losing to NW on Saturday as NW making the NCAA tournament can only be viewed as a good thing for Iowa's NIT chances. The big question might be did Iowa do enough in the conference season, and is the B10 strong enough to merit two B10 teams in the NIT if NW doesn't make it? We might not know the answer to that until Selection Sunday and we see the results of all the one bid league's conference tournaments.
Even though I know where you are going with this, it is ridiculous to say that your chances of having a good outcome in terms of being invited to post-season are improved by losing a game, regardless of the specific situation.

It just seems like a silly thing to have a conversation over, at least to me. If you are trying to advance your season you don't make your case by losing a game, PERIOD. Unless I miss my guess, the same institution picks both the NCAA and the NIT Tournaments now. So you won't be making a case to them by losing.

Now, after reading your post, I will say what at least one other said. Your entire premise seems to be based on only one B10 team making the NIT. Even if NW makes the NCAA, I have a hard time believing Iowa would be the only B10 team in the NIT.

If NW doesn't get selected for the NCAA, it just means another team that would otherwise have taken up a slot in the NIT bracket ends up going to the NCAA instead, so it's a wash. Same number of spots available for Iowa.

Iowa is a feel good story of a young team growing up. Best thing for making the NIT is to pack CHA on senior night and come out with a strong win. While the OOC record is dragging down the RPI, the what have you done for me lately argument is on Iowa's side.

Why are we assuming Nit will only bring in one bt team ? I'm pretty sure there have been three in the post season tourny in the past .

i remember going to see a good Iowa team, lose first round to SLU under Alford, what a disapointment pretty sure it was Worleys last game. Was that our last appearence?

the number of bten trannys in the NIT might be limited by the number of upsets in one bid leagues conf tournaments.

If we beat NW and win round one of the BTT, I'll be happy.

Winning a few games in a row here is more important to me than getting into the NIT, really.

Having said that, I DO want Iowa to get into the NIT. I wonder if ticket sales and filling an arena matter in the NIT, as the format is different than the NCAAs?

My basketball season would be complete if Iowa bursts Northwesterns bubble. I would not be able to wipe the smile off my face no matter what happened in the BTT or any post season tournament. Iowa owes them one!

Nah, Iowa wins and finishes 9-9 in conference play they have a good shot at an NIT bid.

At this point I want Iowa to burst Northwesterns bubble. It would be nice payback.

Totally agree; please, please, please, Hawkeyes, burst those purple nerds' bubble...

Only one big ten team made the NIT last season (NW) and they lost to eventual champ Wichita State by 3. I think NW had around 17 wins last year, but I don't remember if there were other NIT eligible big teams that didn't make it. I looked at the 2011 bracket and it looks divided in thirds between BCS, mid major and small conferences. So maybe one big ten spot again?

Yeah it was and that game against St Louis was pathetic.

Buzzer beater, if I recall correctly.

Iowa's first NIT was at the The Mark of the Quad, they played Depaul. So many fans were ****** because Iowa didn't get selected for the dance. There were signs at the arena. That team was too talented to be in the NIT that year.

Just Googled it, yeah buzzer beater. Listen to the call, it's by Dave Revsine when he was at ESPN.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oDHaEBGgQU]Drejaj FOR 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Latest posts