Woodbury gets UNC offer

Guys, with the exception of the Alford years, the top Iowa high schoolers have signed with Roy. Plus, the ones Roy signed actually made it at the next level. Might not be the best idea to cast random character attacks.

However, that doesn't mean we need to roll out the red carpet either.

Guys, with the exception of the Alford years, the top Iowa high schoolers have signed with Roy. Plus, the ones Roy signed actually made it at the next level. Might not be the best idea to cast random character attacks.

However, that doesn't mean we need to roll out the red carpet either.

Please don't try to throw cold water on our frustration and Midwest sense of victimization.

Is it just me, but it appears that the despicable clown, Williams, is starting to resemble a panic-stricken rat frantically running around a maze, long shriveled claws skittering around, as he scrambles in a vain attempt to score a center for the 2012 class. His timing on the Woodbury offer is a trifle suspect, and reeks of a supreme lack of class and tact.

Are you people freaking kidding me?

If anyone is desperate and panic stricken about this kid, it's you. Plus, how is his offer a symbol of lack of class? Do you have any idea how small and ridiculous you sound? This isn't the season's cotillion, it is big time basketball. The point is to compete for players, not to spare the poor little guy's feelings.

I can't imagine the despicable venom you guys will spit at this kid if he chooses to go somewhere besides Iowa.

Are you people freaking kidding me?

If anyone is desperate and panic stricken about this kid, it's you. Plus, how is his offer a symbol of lack of class? Do you have any idea how small and ridiculous you sound? This isn't the season's cotillion, it is big time basketball. The point is to compete for players, not to spare the poor little guy's feelings.

I can't imagine the despicable venom you guys will spit at this kid if he chooses to go somewhere besides Iowa.
Talking about that snake, Roy, Bro.....

Williams throwing out an offer to Woodbury just 2 hours after Gesell committed to Iowa can be looked at as a desperation move. Williams can see the offers he has out to higher rated Centers may not work out and he knows Iowa got themselves a small edge with Woodbury by getting a verbal from Gesell.

Doesn't Roy have some unpaid parking tickets or something that we could use as a reason to detain him next time he comes to Iowa?

Williams throwing out an offer to Woodbury just 2 hours after Gesell committed to Iowa can be looked at as a desperation move. Williams can see the offers he has out to higher rated Centers may not work out and he knows Iowa got themselves a small edge with Woodbury by getting a verbal from Gesell.

+1. There was absolutely no coincidence in the Woodbury offer. Hope Adam sees that.

Roy is just hedging his bets and playing the recruiting game as the rules allow. I wish he'd stop getting the best players from Iowa to leave too but let's not make him out to be Satan or something.

Roy Williams reacting to Gessell? Come one, Gessell is a go player but he had all of 4 offers on the table, with his best one being the Stanford offer. He is not reacting to Gessel. More likely to his other targets. It was officially announced today that Drummond was not considering UNC. I think he puts the pressure on. Not a sure thing but the offer has to be getting more attractive.

Roy Williams reacting to Gessell? Come one, Gessell is a go player but he had all of 4 offers on the table, with his best one being the Stanford offer. He is not reacting to Gessel. More likely to his other targets. It was officially announced today that Drummond was not considering UNC. I think he puts the pressure on. Not a sure thing but the offer has to be getting more attractive.

Disagree. Gesell is good friends with Adam and a teammate, and yet another good reason why he -- Adam -- should come to Iowa City. Roy needed to try to negate that and keep Adam as a possibility. Ol' Roy knew exactly what he was doing.

One thing about Adam becoming a Hawk is that he will be a Hawkeye Hero forever, having earned the respect and gratitude of the State of Iowa, for being true to his lifelong loyalty to the Hawks, along with his parents, and being the first top recruit from the State to say NO to Williams, turning the trend around finally, and opening a door for State recruits to stay home.

If he does go to NC to play for that sleezeball Williams, he will be just another player off the bench, and remembered only for that. Adam Woodbury, oh yeah, he used to play for NC, he did OK off the bench, had some good games, but he was no Jordan. That is how he will be remembered if he goes to Tarheel country and plays for that gosh-darn hick, Williams.

Stay home where you will be appreciated and loved for ages at Iowa, Adam, and give your parents a chance to live their dream and yours.
Iowa State fans like me were saying this EXACT thing regarding Barnes...

Before his announcement, we were all over the UNC and Duke boards thinking we actually had a chance with him. After all... lifelong Clone fan, mom works at the university, good friends with coach's kid, another friend Bubu walking on at ISU... seriously... we were sure he'd pick us... he still picked UNC.

One thing a Duke fan said to me that really struck a chord was this, "every kid we recruit grew up a die hard fan of another school... that school's fans ALWAYS come over here talking about how much the kid loves school such and such, but they end up signing with us (Duke) anyway."

Think about it. How many players on the Iowa (or ISU) roster grew up die hard fans of Iowa (or ISU)? Gatens for sure, but then again he didn't have a UNC offer either. Everybody that you guys sign grew up a fan of another school. They left that school to come to Iowa... who's to say AW won't do that and go to UNC.

The whole Barnes thing made me a bit jaded...

Disagree. Gesell is good friends with Adam and a teammate, and yet another good reason why he -- Adam -- should come to Iowa City. Roy needed to try to negate that and keep Adam as a possibility. Ol' Roy knew exactly what he was doing.
Seems rather obvious, Tweeterhawk.....

:)

Iowa State fans like me were saying this EXACT thing regarding Barnes...

Before his announcement, we were all over the UNC and Duke boards thinking we actually had a chance with him. After all... lifelong Clone fan, mom works at the university, good friends with coach's kid, another friend Bubu walking on at ISU... seriously... we were sure he'd pick us... he still picked UNC.

One thing a Duke fan said to me that really struck a chord was this, "every kid we recruit grew up a die hard fan of another school... that school's fans ALWAYS come over here talking about how much the kid loves school such and such, but they end up signing with us (Duke) anyway."

Think about it. How many players on the Iowa (or ISU) roster grew up die hard fans of Iowa (or ISU)? Gatens for sure, but then again he didn't have a UNC offer either. Everybody that you guys sign grew up a fan of another school. They left that school to come to Iowa... who's to say AW won't do that and go to UNC.

The whole Barnes thing made me a bit jaded...
Barnes was painful for ISU to lose, but their program was in turmoil under McDermott, just as Iowa was under Lickliter. Harrison was never going to be a Hawk, but the coaching situation was in transition at ISU and he went elsewhere. Adam will choose the school he wants to play for, and it is his decision to make. I just hope he chooses the Hawks, if not, I wish him the best, even playing for Roy. He is a solid young man with a bright future ahead of him, no matter whom he plays for.

I am just getting tired of Roy taking EVERY one of the top recruits in the state. On the NC forums and ESPN forums, the Tarheel fans are saying that Roy owns Iowa and he doesn't want to lose that advantage. It would be a slap in the face for him if Adam does decide to play for the Hawks. His arrogance is somewhat bothersome to me.

Barnes was painful for ISU to lose, but their program was in turmoil under McDermott, just as Iowa was under Lickliter. Harrison was never going to be a Hawk, but the coaching situation was in transition at ISU and he went elsewhere. Adam will choose the school he wants to play for, and it is his decision to make. I just hope he chooses the Hawks, if not, I wish him the best, even playing for Roy. He is a solid young man with a bright future ahead of him, no matter whom he plays for.

I am just getting tired of Roy taking EVERY one of the top recruits in the state. On the NC forums and ESPN forums, the Tarheel fans are saying that Roy owns Iowa and he doesn't want to lose that advantage. It would be a slap in the face for him if Adam does decide to play for the Hawks. His arrogance is somewhat bothersome to me.
I gotta say... you have way more class than I do. I was hoping Barnes would flame out at UNC.

Anyway, good luck with AW. I can't say that I hope he goes to Iowa, but I can say that I agree with your sentiments towards Roy Williams. He's a tool.

I sure hope Woodbury becomes a Hawk but why all the angst? If the kid decides to go to UNC then life goes on. Recruiting reactions are very hypocritical. It's ok for us to go into another state and get players but other coaches can't do the same? It's up to our coach to secure our border, the other coach and the player are just doing what's best for them.

Is it just me, but it appears that the despicable clown, Williams, is starting to resemble a panic-stricken rat frantically running around a maze, long shriveled claws skittering around, as he scrambles in a vain attempt to score a center for the 2012 class. His timing on the Woodbury offer is a trifle suspect, and reeks of a supreme lack of class and tact.

Why? Seriously, why? If you need 1 or 2 centers in your recruiting class, you don't feel good about the other centers you have offered, feel AW is capable and want him, AW's friend and AAU teammate just committed to another school high on AW's list... what would you do? What about this makes him lack class and tact? Did he offend you? Fran? AW? If he somehow offended AW with the offer, why would AW commit to Roy and UNC? I haven't checked but I am pretty sure Roy's contract doesn't state that he has to check with fans of another school to see if it ok to offer a recruit.

I don't know AW, but at this point I think it is safe to assume that AW knows his options... why he would go or not go to Iowa or UNC or any of the other schools to offer him. I am pretty sure he knows that he was the 6th center that Roy offered in this class. I am also pretty sure he knows it wasn't a coincidence that the offer came hours after Gesell committed to Iowa. Recruits pick schools for different reasons, different things are important...

It is Adam's decision to do what is in HIS best interest, not your's, Fran's, Roy's, Iowa's, his family's, etc. Whining about Roy offering AW and the timing of it, seriously makes you look petty/irrational.

Latest posts