Woodbury gets UNC offer

Iowa State fans like me were saying this EXACT thing regarding Barnes...

Before his announcement, we were all over the UNC and Duke boards thinking we actually had a chance with him. After all... lifelong Clone fan, mom works at the university, good friends with coach's kid, another friend Bubu walking on at ISU... seriously... we were sure he'd pick us... he still picked UNC.

One thing a Duke fan said to me that really struck a chord was this, "every kid we recruit grew up a die hard fan of another school... that school's fans ALWAYS come over here talking about how much the kid loves school such and such, but they end up signing with us (Duke) anyway."

Think about it. How many players on the Iowa (or ISU) roster grew up die hard fans of Iowa (or ISU)? Gatens for sure, but then again he didn't have a UNC offer either. Everybody that you guys sign grew up a fan of another school. They left that school to come to Iowa... who's to say AW won't do that and go to UNC.

The whole Barnes thing made me a bit jaded...

Interesting post and it got me thinking. I have went back through both North Carolina's and Duke's recruits and it is true, they are able to recruit from any part of the country. It all comes down to if you think you are good enough to play at the next level, where are you going to develop your skills? I have grown up to be a Hawkeye fan and I've never understood why kids who grew up as Iowa fans would even consider going anywhere else. But if you look at your own personal situation and you think you might have a shot at playing basketball at the professional level are you going to follow your heart or you going to do what is best for yourself and go where you have the best chance of being developed into a professional basketball player?

But I do think there is a stronger tie to Iowa & Iowa State due to the fact that there are not any major professional teams in the state. Not all kids grow up fans of any college team. If you grew up in Chicago you may have just rooted for the Bulls all your life and never paid attention to Northwestern, DePaul, or Illinois. In Iowa you might root for those same Bulls but you have a stronger attachment to Iowa since they are the local team. You might go to 1 Bulls game a year but able to attend every Hawkeye game.

But if I am Woodbury you have an opportunity to do something that would make your family and the entire State of Iowa proud. This team has a solid group of coaches and there is talent on this team. You have a chance to be immortalized as a Hawk if you come here and lead this team back to the NCAA Tournament as a freshman and a Final Four appearance as a Senior. At the end of the day after your basketball playing days are over are you going to look at yourself and wish you would have taken that chance? Or are you going to be satisfied with going to North Carolina and doing something that has already been done over and over?

Keep thinking he's coming to Iowa. Of course he's coming we haven't had a NCAA appearance in several years, we can't fill our arena but he can lead the rebirth of Iowa basketball. Or he can go to North Carolina where you play on national TV almost every game and get to talk to NBA legend players. Also you contend every year for a conference and national title. You get to play everyday in practice against top notch players which will prepare him for the NBA. But keep thinking he's coming to Iowa. That's what clone fans kept hoping for with Barnes.

Keep thinking he's coming to Iowa. Of course he's coming we haven't had a NCAA appearance in several years, we can't fill our arena but he can lead the rebirth of Iowa basketball. Or he can go to North Carolina where you play on national TV almost every game and get to talk to NBA legend players. Also you contend every year for a conference and national title. You get to play everyday in practice against top notch players which will prepare him for the NBA. But keep thinking he's coming to Iowa. That's what clone fans kept hoping for with Barnes.

The big difference- Woodbury is not even close to being on the level that Barnes was.

So as a Hawk fan, you would prefer that Adam go to North Carolina. Cool.....

No i'm a realist and if he was my son and I'm a life long Hawk fan and alumnus I would suggest he go to NC and not Iowa. What gives him the best chance of getting to the NBA? What would you suggest to your son?

If he is good enough to make it to the NBA it won't matter where he plays especially if he plays in any BCS conference. He would stand out more at Iowa with the three star players than he would playing with four and five star players at North Carolina. Hey look everyone isn't that Woodbury sitting on the North Carolina bench as their third starting center. Yes it is and he looks so impressive the way he is just sitting there.

No i'm a realist and if he was my son and I'm a life long Hawk fan and alumnus I would suggest he go to NC and not Iowa. What gives him the best chance of getting to the NBA? What would you suggest to your son?

You may call yourself a fan, but I would suggest that you are not near the fan that I am. I would never suggest to my son or daughter to choose a school because it was the best chance for him or her to get to the next level. If the talent is there, then it does not matter whether the college was Iowa, North Carolina, Duke, or any of a number of other schools. As for realist...well, I will not go there...

Before his announcement, we were all over the UNC and Duke boards thinking we actually had a chance with him. After all... lifelong Clone fan, mom works at the university, good friends with coach's kid, another friend Bubu walking on at ISU... seriously... we were sure he'd pick us... he still picked UNC.

One thing a Duke fan said to me that really struck a chord was this, "every kid we recruit grew up a die hard fan of another school... that school's fans ALWAYS come over here talking about how much the kid loves school such and such, but they end up signing with us (Duke) anyway."

Think about it. How many players on the Iowa (or ISU) roster grew up die hard fans of Iowa (or ISU)? Gatens for sure, but then again he didn't have a UNC offer either. Everybody that you guys sign grew up a fan of another school. They left that school to come to Iowa... who's to say AW won't do that and go to UNC.

Huge difference between Barnes and Woodbury. Barnes was UNC's and Duke's number one target. He was never at any point a back up plan. That's all Woodbury has been for UNC. If the other centers UNC is after decide to commit, Roy would pull Woodbury's offer in a second. Barnes had the red carpet treatment from UNC throughout his entire recruitment.

so why dont you act like a fan instead of his mom?

If he is good enough to make it to the NBA it won't matter where he plays especially if he plays in any BCS conference. He would stand out more at Iowa with the three star players than he would playing with four and five star players at North Carolina. Hey look everyone isn't that Woodbury sitting on the North Carolina bench as their third starting center. Yes it is and he looks so impressive the way he is just sitting there.

DING! DING! DING!

Are you people freaking kidding me?

If anyone is desperate and panic stricken about this kid, it's you. Plus, how is his offer a symbol of lack of class? Do you have any idea how small and ridiculous you sound? This isn't the season's cotillion, it is big time basketball. The point is to compete for players, not to spare the poor little guy's feelings.

I can't imagine the despicable venom you guys will spit at this kid if he chooses to go somewhere besides Iowa.

Why are you so obsessed with Iowa? Shouldn't you stick with the Illinois and Florida boards?

Difference is ISU was going through coaching change. Iowa won't be doing that, they are in place and have been. Honestly, if McDermott would have not left Ames I think ISU lands Barnes.

Difference is ISU was going through coaching change. Iowa won't be doing that, they are in place and have been. Honestly, if McDermott would have not left Ames I think ISU lands Barnes.

Wasnt McD still the coach when Barnes announced he was Roy's new toy?

Another fail for Ryno!

How is that a fail? Everyone knew he was going to be fired/quit soon. That's why he told his son to go to UNI not ISU.

He resigned in April 2010 and Barnes announced in the fall of 09 correct?. If Barnes committed to ISU there is no way McD leaves. Ryno's post made it sound like he already resigned when Barnes made his choice and thats why ISU didnt get him

He resigned in April 2010 and Barnes announced in the fall of 09 correct?. If Barnes committed to ISU there is no way McD leaves. Ryno's post made it sound like he already resigned when Barnes made his choice and thats why ISU didnt get him

Holy cow, sorry I was wrong. Don't get your panties in a bunch! I thought McD had left that season. Either way, I think Barnes knew there would be a new coach by the time he would have played at Iowa State. I was thinking Fred's first year was Barnes first year of college ball.

Last edited:
Ryno, You are incorrect. HB is a unreal talent but what he did to Mcdermott was flat wrong. If GM had landed Barnes he would still be coaching at ISU. People may laugh and say how did ISU ever think they could land him, but those guys were like a dad to that kid in a lot of ways. I'm just saying as a Hawk fan, the way he strung out ISU until the Skype was flat out wrong.

Holy cow, sorry I was wrong. Don't get your panties in a bunch! I thought McD had left that season. Either way, I think Barnes knew there would be a new coach by the time he would have played at Iowa State. I was thinking Fred's first year was Barnes first year of college ball.

Have you ever been right about anything?

Latest posts