Wisky BB is everything Iowa isn't

They always seem to have a bunch of bad azzes who play with a chip on their shoulder....never backing down. They either don't know or don't care that they may not be as athletic or talented as the team they are playing....ALWAYS well coached.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Their program is overrated. They had 50 years where they did nothing from about 47 to 97. During that time Iowa had conferance championships and final 4 appearances.This year they did very little when the officials actually called fouls on impeding freedom of movement. They would not have even made the NIT had they kept calling the games as they should have been called.

Yes. A long time ago Wisc sucked. (But just before they sucked, they won the national Championship.) Meanwhile, a long time ago Iowa was good. Thanks for the tip. Oh, and, once again, as always... it's the ref's fault.

Last edited:
Their program is overrated. They had 50 years where they did nothing from about 47 to 97. During that time Iowa had conferance championships and final 4 appearances.This year they did very little when the officials actually called fouls on impeding freedom of movement. They would not have even made the NIT had they kept calling the games as they should have been called.

Yeah, really overrated. WI is the only team in the country to go to the last 3 sweet 16s and the only one to go to the sweet 16 five times in the last 6 years.

exactly PC! for the last 20 yrs Wisky seems to win EVERY close game (football AND basketball). Meanwhile, we can barely buy a close victory once a decade (in football too). It hurts. Much jealous of that program (their luck anyway)

This may be the lone exception, but Wisconsin had plenty of chances to win a close football game against iowa. They didn't. They forced their own fumble on the goal line.

I understand your point ... but maybe we see more "mental issues" with our own team, while glossing over the same things happening elsewhere.

Iowa shifted the line, brought Meier inside, and his speed made the bad-ger center step back a second sooner leading to the fumble. Don't try to take away from what Iowa did.

They also develop their players, especially their big guys.

They recruit skilled shooters while we have not done so, at least not nearly to the extent they have to this point. The players know they can shoot and therefore they are more confident on offense than most of our players are. UNI has recruited more skilled shooters than we have as well for that matter.

Hopefully Fran gets the memo on that and makes changes accordingly.

At some point Wisconsin athletics(football and basketball) will hit a rough patch, but that will be alright because they have taken advantage of every opportunity when things have aligned for them. If Wisconsin got off to a 10-1 start in B1G play with 4 Seniors with a chance to play for a high seed in Milwaukee they would have crushed it.

They recruit skilled shooters while we have not done so, at least not nearly to the extent they have to this point. The players know they can shoot and therefore they are more confident on offense than most of our players are. UNI has recruited more skilled shooters than we have as well for that matter.

Hopefully Fran gets the memo on that and makes changes accordingly.

UW doesn't even have many shooters this year. They have Koenig, and that is really it, a couple others that can occasionally hit the 3. What they have is toughness, defense, and they value every possession. Those are all things that I believe, to an extent, can be coached.

Each and every one of these characteristics are "intangibles", which are directly related to the culture of the program, which is specifically established by the coach and firmly instilled in the players as a non-negotiable expectation.

We haven't seen these qualities for an entire season under MuckCaff.

Honestly, don't think I've seen this from an Iowa team since the last century.

I was wondering yesterday if Iowa's issue is that they don't have enough athletes, but then it occurred to me that not being overly athletic doesn't stop a team like Wisconsin from playing good D, etc.

It makes me want to pull my hair out.

Honestly, don't think I've seen this from an Iowa team since the last century.

I was wondering yesterday if Iowa's issue is that they don't have enough athletes, but then it occurred to me that not being overly athletic doesn't stop a team like Wisconsin from playing good D, etc.

It makes me want to pull my hair out.
Teams can win without athleticism if they play with confidence and execute a winning strategy without hesitation.

The real question is this....

Should Fran have been able to coach more confidence and game-closing ability into these players? Or are those the sort of intangibles just something you're born with?

The only guy on the floor who seemed to be playing with that fearlessness needed to compete against a team like Villanova was Baer. Nobody else seemed willing or able to rise to the occasion.

Ryan made Wisconsin basketball what it is today. I give the new coach credit. But he is still benefiting from Ryan's recruits' mental toughness, etc. If Hayes comes back then next year's team returns intact and is still an extension of Ryan IMO. Two years from now is when the new guy starts showing what he can do IMO.

The programs are so far apart it's laughable. Since 2000 Wisconsin has been to the final 4 the same amount of times Iowa has been to the 2nd round. This is a down year for them and they've accomplised as much as the best Iowa teams have in nearly 30 years.

Last edited:
They will go back to there 47-97 form soon. The cream will once again rise to the top. Iowa has a higher all time winning %, and Iowa leads the overall series 61-55. Once again Iowa will be dominating the series. Not only does Iowa have better tradition, but Iowa plays a style of basketball that is easier to recruit to. Top notch athletes like Tyler Cook want to play for a team that plays at Iowa's style.

As others have said, Wis. plays defense. Iowa not so much. Iowa's defense reminds me of cutting off a chickens head and watching it flop around the yard.

Whenever a team wins they have all those qualities and as soon as they lose they don't have them anymore. UNI had all those qualities for 39 minutes and 30 seconds. Than they wilted worse than any team in the history of the sport.

They wilted alright but had a lot of help from what was allowed by the officials in the last 40 seconds. Basketball officiating never ceases to amaze. Early in the game, touch fouls, 30 feet from the basket are called. Last 30 seconds, let the mugging begin.

Not sure why you are ragging on UNI..Had Iowa been in the same game, it would have been over at the half.

However, we've had a bazillion one-foot shots and you're right, ONE has gone in that I can remember.

Yea. I told my wife I'd like to add up the missed layups by just Woodbury & Gessell alone these past 4 years.

On a side note, not many universities transitions coaches as good as Wisconsin either.

Wisconsin sucked at basketball until the 1990's... can tell how young some of you are.

Wisky sucked at both until Alverez got on campus. He picked the f-ball team up which eventually helped pick the b-ball team up & they've been truckin ever since.

Back in the '80's, Wisky was on par with the Purdue, Indiana & Minnesota's of the world. They used to be a joke. Not many remember that.

All you need to know is that our best player is a Wisconsin castoff. He ended up being an A-A. And Wisconsin is STILL better than Iowa.

Latest posts