Wisky BB is everything Iowa isn't

Badgers were an honestly good tournament team last year. This year I don't see it. They should have been bounced by Pitt in what was probably the most painful basketball game I have ever witnessed. Then they should have lost to Xavier but got even luckier at the end with a Koenig desperation three that even he laughed about. These guys have always had a horseshoe up their ***....

Not quite correct. Counting this year as a sweet 16, since 1999 UW has had 3 final fours, 1 elite 8 and 5 sweet 16s. No other team in the country has gone to 5 of the last 6 sweet 16s. But of course there's a lot of fluky luck in there.....

That's remarkable. Yeah, certain individual plays in a game you could call luck, but good programs have a way of making their own luck.

Iowa just needs to have better regular seasons to set them up better for the dance. It's not a huge jump to go from being a 7/8 seed and playing a 1/2 in the second round, where you're almost guaranteed to get bounced, to being a 5 seed and in the 4/5 game where it's more or less a coin flip.

From 1990-present, Iowa has been in the 4/5 second round game just twice (1993, 1999) and they split those games, getting to the Sweet 16 in 1999. Almost every other year, they've been in the 7-9 range. So there you go.

Still, I thought Wisconsin beat a 1 seed in the second round in 2000, and a 2 seed this year. I'm not sure on other years, but I wouldn't be surprised at more upset victories. Not sure how they do it.

Alford didn't sink iowa basketball; Lickliter buried it.

My point to my orig post simply is Wisky plays a tougher, more-winning brand of BB than Iowa.

And you can go back 5, 10, 15 years and it holds true.

This latest Iowa team lacked an on-court leader, played soft and with four seniors, mysteriously disappeared in many games, unable to finish.

And as mysteriously, and again with a senior-laden team, they got worse as the year went on. No gelling. No cohesiveness. No group think.

Wisky certainly doesn't have those issues. And IMO, it's no fluke.

They may win ugly. They may win 'luckily.'

But man, they win. More than Iowa. Year after year.

New coach? No problem. New fresh line up? No problem. Playing a higher seed? No problem.

The hotter the spotlight, the better Wisky does. The hotter the spotlight, the quicker Iowa melts.

If there's a B1G Iowa BB doppelganger, it's Wisconsin. They simply do it better than us. And have for quite sometime.

Hats off to Wisky as it keeps playing, apparently oblivious to its status and stature....simply excelling in the moment. There's no reason Iowa can't be there too.

Last edited:
My point to my orig post simply is Wisky plays a tougher, more-winning brand of BB than Iowa.

And you can go back 5, 10, 15 years and it holds true.

This latest Iowa team lacked an on-court leader, played soft and with four seniors, mysteriously disappeared in many games, unable to finish.

And as mysteriously, and again with a senior-laden team, they got worse as the year went on. No gelling. No cohesiveness. No group think.

Wisky certainly doesn't have those issues. And IMO, it's no fluke.

They may win ugly. They may win 'luckily.'

But man, they win. More than Iowa. Year after year.

New coach? No problem. New fresh line up? No problem. Playing a higher seed? No problem.

The hotter the spotlight, the better Wisky does. The hotter the spotlight, the quicker Iowa melts.

If there's a B1G Iowa BB doppelganger, it's Wisconsin. They simply do it better than us. And have for quite sometime.

Hats off to Wisky as it keeps playing, apparently oblivious to its status and stature....simply excelling in the moment. There's no reason Iowa can't be there too.

Or, this year could be explained as ... Wiscy struggles early, switches coaches (Bo selects his own guy) and back to the swing offense, plays better, loses to Nebraska in BTT (yes, that happened), barely beats Pitt (9th place team in ACC) in an ugly game and is losing to Xavier and hits a 3, draws a charge, and hits a 3 to win. Let's see what happens as they go forward.

Sure, you can find any singular point of data to argue the opposite point.

But simply look at the overall body of work for the past....5, 10, 15 years.

'nuff said

But simply look at the overall body of work for the past....5, 10, 15 years.

Do you realize this is ridiculous? Ryan was there 14 years. So you are only referencing the Ryan years. Ryan was an outstanding hall of fame caliber coach.

Now go look at the 5, 10 or 15 years before Ryan arrived. I remember those years. Go look at what Indiana did with Knight and without Knight. Look at Purdue with Keady and without Keady. Look at UCLA with Wooden and without Wooden.

My point is you are taking the best basketball coach Wisconsin has ever had and making a comparison. Not many programs are going to look good next to what Ryan did. Ryan had Wisconsin right there with the blue blood programs year in and year out. I can't stand the guy but he was an incredible coach.

I was curious how Bo did in the NCAA while at Wisconsin.

2002 - Round of 32
2003 - Sweet 16
2004 - Round of 32
2005 - Elite 8
2006 - Round of 64
2007 - Round of 32
2008 - Sweet 16
2009 - Round of 32
2010 - Round of 32
2011 - Sweet 16
2012 - Sweet 16
2013 - Round of 64
2014 - Final 4
2015 - Championship game

He went to one Elite 8 in his first 12 years. And there was a 5 year stretch in the middle where he only made it to one Sweet 16.

Edit - Dick Bennett did not leave Bo an empty cupboard.

Wisconsin has had a good run. For just this year's tourney run, lets face it they couldnt have had a better draw for them than they got. Pitt and Xavier?? If they were placed in Brooklyn playing Villanova round 2, theyd be sitting at home as well.

Man, Wisconsin is lucking out again!

Leading a #6 seed in an elite-8-invite game at halftime.

Madison must be 1/2 Irish or something.

Man, Wisconsin is lucking out again!

Leading a #6 seed in an elite-8-invite game at halftime.

Madison must be 1/2 Irish or something.

It is pretty lucky they are playing the 6 seed. If they win tonight, North Carolina will lose for sure, clearing the way for the luckiest program in the history of lucky programs.

WI has got to be bar none the WORST team left in the draw. Yet they always get the teams they play to lay a terd against them, and they always draw the luck card as well.

Latest posts