Wirfs Arrested

My take is....

All of the information must be out before a true opinion can be defensed. At this point....if he was at a .08 or above, he should serve a minimum of a 3 game suspension. You would not be able to allow any recording devices in the room if i was the head coach at the very next players meeting.

"Who the f×ck do you guys think you are? Last week one of you decides that he's gonna get stupid and walk around campus drunk and make a complete @ss of himself. Now this week i have a player who obviously has no brain and he goes out and not only gets drunk but drives home and makes us all look like a bunch of foching dipshoots. Who the BLEEP BLEEP do you think you are? We give you a scholarship, we help turn you into millionaires and life professionals and this is what you do? You s#!t on my house man......Who was with him? Where are my captains? *looks in Wirfs direction* This might be the dumbest thing ive ever seen anybody do. You just shat on our entire program. I expect that some of you here are gonna let Mr. Wirfs understand over the next few weeks why this was a bad choice."

If I was the head coach im not so certain that i wouldnt dismiss him from the team. Someone might talk me off the ledge but, who is this kid? Dont tell me he made a bad choice. If he killed someone there wouldnt be a question about him being on the team. If he hit someone he would have been decades in jail. Why, by the luck of God, should he be on the team just because he fortunately didnt. If he took a gun and randomly fired it into a crowd and kills 3 people he is life in prison. If he does the same thing and hits no one he goes away for a long time. Driving a car while drunk is the EXACT same thing as scenario #2 without the intent. You KNOW there is a decent chance you will kill someone by driving drunk. To argue otherwise is moronic. Drunk driving kills. Just because he didnt kill someone doesnt mean its not a big deal. He chose to put everyone else's life on the road on his path in jeopardy. Might have been YOU and your family. Theres no "give the kid a break" if it was adult .08 over the limit drunk driving. Hes not just a kid or just 19 or just made a bad choice. Everyone with a brain knows what driving drunk is....everyone.

I want to win. I want him on the team. Thats selfish on my part. I hope its 3-6 games and youre lucky to have 2 1/2 years to play here son. You are given a full ride scholarship. All you have to do is not commit felonies and go to class man. I hope he understands how serious this is. The NFL isnt going to forget. Do you realize this cost you millions of dollars son? Life is about 2nd chances. You are going to get a second chance. Probably at the University of Iowa after a few game suspension. Learn from it.

If it comes back that he was at .02, writing this without looking at the updates, then i can see the 1 game suspension. I dont see how its less than 3 games if he was .08 of more. He didnt care about the team in making this decision to drink and drive. Hit him hard.

Rieff got screwed by shitty cops. He wasn't underage and he was peaceably looking for a ride. That is not now nor ever been a crime in my eyes.

Wirfs on the other hand is underage and was driving. He is the one that deserves a game suspension. Since Kirk has already announced Rieff' s punishment it likely means he will have to up the ante on Wirfs though. This really sucks as we all know though because O-line is already an inexperienced group. I wish Kirk would amend Rieff's suspension to half a game and say in light of further offenses Rieff's incident no longer seems as bad. Then go ahead and give Wirfs the full game suspension and then send dumb dumb to "scared straight". Maybe even throw on 100 hours of community service.

Good God, where's R. Lee Ermey when you need him?

full-metal-jacket.png
m5FsEd

My take is....

All of the information must be out before a true opinion can be defensed. At this point....if he was at a .08 or above, he should serve a minimum of a 3 game suspension. You would not be able to allow any recording devices in the room if i was the head coach at the very next players meeting.

"Who the f×ck do you guys think you are? Last week one of you decides that he's gonna get stupid and walk around campus drunk and make a complete @ss of himself. Now this week i have a player who obviously has no brain and he goes out and not only gets drunk but drives home and makes us all look like a bunch of foching dipshoots. Who the BLEEP BLEEP do you think you are? We give you a scholarship, we help turn you into millionaires and life professionals and this is what you do? You s#!t on my house man......Who was with him? Where are my captains? *looks in Wirfs direction* This might be the dumbest thing ive ever seen anybody do. You just shat on our entire program. I expect that some of you here are gonna let Mr. Wirfs understand over the next few weeks why this was a bad choice."

If I was the head coach im not so certain that i wouldnt dismiss him from the team. Someone might talk me off the ledge but, who is this kid? Dont tell me he made a bad choice. If he killed someone there wouldnt be a question about him being on the team. If he hit someone he would have been decades in jail. Why, by the luck of God, should he be on the team just because he fortunately didnt. If he took a gun and randomly fired it into a crowd and kills 3 people he is life in prison. If he does the same thing and hits no one he goes away for a long time. Driving a car while drunk is the EXACT same thing as scenario #2 without the intent. You KNOW there is a decent chance you will kill someone by driving drunk. To argue otherwise is moronic. Drunk driving kills. Just because he didnt kill someone doesnt mean its not a big deal. He chose to put everyone else's life on the road on his path in jeopardy. Might have been YOU and your family. Theres no "give the kid a break" if it was adult .08 over the limit drunk driving. Hes not just a kid or just 19 or just made a bad choice. Everyone with a brain knows what driving drunk is....everyone.

I want to win. I want him on the team. Thats selfish on my part. I hope its 3-6 games and youre lucky to have 2 1/2 years to play here son. You are given a full ride scholarship. All you have to do is not commit felonies and go to class man. I hope he understands how serious this is. The NFL isnt going to forget. Do you realize this cost you millions of dollars son? Life is about 2nd chances. You are going to get a second chance. Probably at the University of Iowa after a few game suspension. Learn from it.

If it comes back that he was at .02, writing this without looking at the updates, then i can see the 1 game suspension. I dont see how its less than 3 games if he was .08 of more. He didnt care about the team in making this decision to drink and drive. Hit him hard.

I would argue that the odds of killing someone on the drive from the bars to campus is just above 0% unless you are blackout drunk or driving recklessly.

As soon as you think
Rieff got screwed by shitty cops. He wasn't underage and he was peaceably looking for a ride. That is not now nor ever been a crime in my eyes.

Wirfs on the other hand is underage and was driving. He is the one that deserves a game suspension. Since Kirk has already announced Rieff' s punishment it likely means he will have to up the ante on Wirfs though. This really sucks as we all know though because O-line is already an inexperienced group. I wish Kirk would amend Rieff's suspension to half a game and say in light of further offenses Rieff's incident no longer seems as bad. Then go ahead and give Wirfs the full game suspension and then send dumb dumb to "scared straight". Maybe even throw on 100 hours of community service.
Is their video? Do we know his demeanor in regards to how he was approaching the vehicle? Context is EVERYTHING. There's a total opposite way in which that could have been going down from the picture your painting. I wasn't there either so heck if I know. But the dude was pretty messed up drunk. Do we know if the cops tried to talk sense to him and get him to walk away and then he continued on being crazy? I don't think we know what exactly went down we all just have a way that we think it may have went..

As soon as you think

Is their video? Do we know his demeanor in regards to how he was approaching the vehicle? Context is EVERYTHING. There's a total opposite way in which that could have been going down from the picture your painting. I wasn't there either so heck if I know. But the dude was pretty messed up drunk. Do we know if the cops tried to talk sense to him and get him to walk away and then he continued on being crazy? I don't think we know what exactly went down we all just have a way that we think it may have went..

There were witnesses to the arrest. Several people tried to argue with the cops while they were handcuffing Rieff. The officers threatened to arrest another guy for interference.

As the story goes apparently Rieff no more than grabbed the squad cars door handle before the cops were out of the car and yelling for him to put his hands on the trunk. He was in cuffs within minutes of the incident. This story comes directly from my cousin a UofI undergrad. He says he learned this first hand from someone who claims to have witnessed the entirety of events.

My cousin is a pretty straight shooter and a heck of a kid. He believes this to be the true events and I have no reason to doubt it as it sounds completely plausible.

So my opinions are based on the assumption that what happened to Rieff lies somewhere close to the story that I have. With that said unless this story is pure gossip and utter bullshit, then Rieff got screwed by over zealous peace officers.

I guess my biggest overall question in regards to drunk driving now is why is their such freedom for individual schools and coaches to do what they want? Why isn't there an NCAA mandatory rule across the board for it? If your busted/convicted/plead guilty for a DUI, OWI or any other three lettered acronym in regards to drinking and driving you get X amount of a percentage of your season lost. More if your underage. And if your dumb enough to do it twice your gone. It's high time to take this sort of thing seriously. So far all these years it's been just a slap on the wrist and selectively enforced. Seems like starters get slaps on the wrist and the scrubs get punished harder then the coaches get to proclaim how tough they are on them... I just wish for the wishy washy inconsistency of how coach to coach program to program and kid to kid that things like this are punished.

I get that no two scenarios are the same but it's just past time to start cracking down on this. For two obvious reasons.
1. It's life and death and against the law.
2. It's common sense and every kid over the age of 16 with a license has been preached to and preached to and preached to about not doing it and these scholarship athletes have been more than regular kiddos. To me if you've been told not to do something a million times as a fully comprehending person and still choose to do it.... You deserve a heck of a lot more than a slap on the ass and don't do it again speech... This isn't stealing candy bars from the teachers stash in their desk. This is as serious.. If you want to stop it (at least slow it down considerably) make the punishment fit the crime and the risk not worth it...

I guess my biggest overall question in regards to drunk driving now is why is their such freedom for individual schools and coaches to do what they want? Why isn't there an NCAA mandatory rule across the board for it? If your busted/convicted/plead guilty for a DUI, OWI or any other three lettered acronym in regards to drinking and driving you get X amount of a percentage of your season lost. More if your underage. And if your dumb enough to do it twice your gone. It's high time to take this sort of thing seriously. So far all these years it's been just a slap on the wrist and selectively enforced. Seems like starters get slaps on the wrist and the scrubs get punished harder then the coaches get to proclaim how tough they are on them... I just wish for the wishy washy inconsistency of how coach to coach program to program and kid to kid that things like this are punished.

I get that no two scenarios are the same but it's just past time to start cracking down on this. For two obvious reasons.
1. It's life and death and against the law.
2. It's common sense and every kid over the age of 16 with a license has been preached to and preached to and preached to about not doing it and these scholarship athletes have been more than regular kiddos. To me if you've been told not to do something a million times as a fully comprehending person and still choose to do it.... You deserve a heck of a lot more than a slap on the ass and don't do it again speech... This isn't stealing candy bars from the teachers stash in their desk. This is as serious.. If you want to stop it (at least slow it down considerably) make the punishment fit the crime and the risk not worth it...

Well now that we know he was operating a scooter, clearly endangering no one's life but his own. Do you still feel he should be suspended for multiple games?

Well now that we know he was operating a scooter, clearly endangering no one's life but his own. Do you still feel he should be suspended for multiple games?
Does his own life not count? Did he have a helmet on? He could hit pedestrians... Joke about him having been on a scooter all you want. If he'd have hit and really hurt someone when he shouldn't have been on it I bet they wouldn't be laughing.

Does his own life not count? Did he have a helmet on? He could hit pedestrians... Joke about him having been on a scooter all you want. If he'd have hit and really hurt someone when he shouldn't have been on it I bet they wouldn't be laughing.

First and foremost, I already stated endangering his own life. Second no I do not take drinking and driving lightly. However this undeniably falls into the thickest of gray area's. I will admit that I am a hypocrite. I judge people constantly for making mistakes similar to mistakes that I have made in my life as well. I would bet most humans are guilty of this. Even though I am a hypocrite I am unwilling to ignore the underlying childish innocence of these "crimes". It makes it hard to find justifiable outrage towards the individuals.

Last edited:
oh lord he had 2 passengers .... who were yelling and having fun which caused the pull over. Can't forget about their lives.

I wonder how wasted someone would have to be to actually hit someone on a scooter. You could obviously fall over on one without being that awfully drunk. But hitting someone would be tough to do.