Wirfs Arrested

Wirfs driving around with 3 people screwing around is probably more dangerous sober than just diving home normal on a scooter drunk. Like I said earlier, you have to be blackout drunk before you are dangerous on a scooter.

When you have to make up that crazy of a scenario to prove a point, I would say it wasn't probably very dangerous. Stupid, yes. But dangerous as far as people dying goes? Not really. Now if he was on a crotch rocket doing 90 down the interstate and blew a .2 I would say he was being dangerous.
Really? Is it really far fetched that someone drunk on a scooter could be swerving in traffic or run a red light to cause a serious accident? Wow... Just wow.. Trying to downplay or justify being able to drink and drive is pretty reprehensible.. It's such an avoidable thing that I'm glad that the folks that are unfortunate victims of others doing it can legally go after them for all they've got.

Really? Is it really far fetched that someone drunk on a scooter could be swerving in traffic or run a red light to cause a serious accident? Wow... Just wow.. Trying to downplay or justify being able to drink and drive is pretty reprehensible.. It's such an avoidable thing that I'm glad that the folks that are unfortunate victims of others doing it can legally go after them for all they've got.

Not far fetched as in absolutely impossible to happen. Just extremely unlikely to the point where it's more likely the sober driver in the car didn't see him and caused it. You want to talk about dangerous, that's a big time danger. Cars not seeing motorcycles.

Not far fetched as in absolutely impossible to happen. Just extremely unlikely to the point where it's more likely the sober driver in the car didn't see him and caused it. You want to talk about dangerous, that's a big time danger. Cars not seeing motorcycles.
But the said drunk driver isn't supposed to be on the road to begin with. That is where they get 100% of the fault. Same as someone driving without a license. Are bikes dangerous on the roads to begin with? You bet they are for those reasons you mentioned and more. But again your moving the goal posts...

But the said drunk driver isn't supposed to be on the road to begin with. That is where they get 100% of the fault. Same as someone driving without a license. Are bikes dangerous on the roads to begin with? You bet they are for those reasons you mentioned and more. But again your moving the goal posts...

I didn't move a goal post. I just stated another opinion. I do agree with you tho that if you kill someone, the family should get everything you own.

There are some really "interesting attitudes about drinking and driving around here as well as what happens when drunk.

Rieff got screwed by shitty cops. He wasn't underage and he was peaceably looking for a ride. That is not now nor ever been a crime in my eyes.

Wirfs on the other hand is underage and was driving. He is the one that deserves a game suspension. Since Kirk has already announced Rieff' s punishment it likely means he will have to up the ante on Wirfs though. This really sucks as we all know though because O-line is already an inexperienced group. I wish Kirk would amend Rieff's suspension to half a game and say in light of further offenses Rieff's incident no longer seems as bad. Then go ahead and give Wirfs the full game suspension and then send dumb dumb to "scared straight". Maybe even throw on 100 hours of community service.

Rieff screwed himself by getting so drunk he tried to get in a police car not once but twice. He thought a marked police cruiser was an Uber. That dude is so hammered he's a danger to himself. Cops cannot let that guy roam around. The last thing they want to do is hand out public intox tickets.

Wirfs put not only himself in danger but the other people on the scooter. That's a much bigger deal but again, once situation doesn't have to directly relate to the other. Handle it on a case by case basis and trust the staff.

Exhibit A: The police video earlier in this thread.

There is significant risk of danger in any vehicle that is increased when OWI.

Exhibit A: The police video earlier in this thread.

There is significant risk of danger in any vehicle that is increased when OWI.

Of course there is. I don't see anyone arguing that it isn't illegal, stupid, or dangerous. People are arguing that on the scale of danger relating to driving a scooter drunk, it is still a fairly low danger scenario comparatively.

Not one person has claimed that Wirfs should not be punished. This is not a black and white issue though. The kid is not some gun toting thug running around Iowa City being a menace. This is a young kid with a ton of responsibility on his shoulders. A kid that needs guidance and support to improve himself and his decision making. Does he need a tangible punishment? Yes of course. All things must be equal for the players sake. However some are calling for Kirk to use Wirfs as some "example" by giving him some exorbitant punishment and that is neither supporting the individual player or the group. By creating an environment with unequal punishment and lopsided reactions to things all you create is confusion and fear.

If you lived in IC for 36 years like I have you would know the first thing they want to do is hand out public intox tickets.

Lol yup they aren't your normal town cops. They love to hassle drunks in public. Although I will say it never ceases to amaze me the creative ways that drunk people find a way to make themselves stand out to them. It's like chum in the water.

Latest posts