Will Woodbury have a Similar Impact as Zeller?

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
Honest question.

This isn't a question if Woody is as good as Zeller or make the amount of impact in the Big Ten.

I'm talking about the team. Will Woodbury impact the Hawkeyes the same way Zeller has impacted the Hoosiers (i.e. - will the record improve w/ him)?

I think next year's team has a better record, but not sure how much Woodbury will account for it. I have higher expectations for Gesell next year than I do Woodbury.

Honest question.This isn't a question if Woody is as good as Zeller or make the amount of impact in the Big Ten.I'm talking about the team. Will Woodbury impact the Hawkeyes the same way Zeller has impacted the Hoosiers (i.e. - will the record improve w/ him)?

he will allow more wins. but his impact will be more defensively and rebounding. since he will probably the #4 or 5 score of the starters not to mention that at least our 6 and/or 7 man will score more than him. where zeller is the main man woodbury is just one of the pieces. so my answer is yes he will cause more wins, but no not in the same way.

I think Woodbury will have an impact because we are so awful in the post right now. Zeller has a lot more talent around him and benefits form a host of perimeter shooters, something we lack. I see Woodbury making Meyers Leonard type progress--some impact as a freshman, much more impact as a soph (assuming the team around him improves).

Last edited:
I think definitely when you include the others in the class. Right now we're rotating warm bodies off the bench. Next year we should be able to run for 40 mins. Boxing out and rebounding is a major problem. He impacts that immediately. Kyle meyer is someone I'm excited about as well. I expect to be a bubble team next year. Losing gatens hurts but oglesby should be better and clemons and gessell sound like scorers. Having shooters is good but I'd take an athletic defender that can get out in transition or get to the hole over shooters.

I expressed this before but we will be better on defense and I think that's going to be enough to give us about 5 more wins or so than this year.

And I don't start this conversation to put unfair expectations on him, I am just genuinely interested in how much people think he will impact the team.

last night the NW homer announcer said with Woodbury and Gessel and the 4 of top 5 scores returning Iowa would make the NCAA tourney. So he thinks so obviously

No. I think the physical play in the big 10 will take time to adjust to, and there will be many games when he either picks up too many fouls early, or plays soft because he doesn't want to pick up any fouls. Then there will be a handful of games where he goes 15 and 10, and there are going to be 20 threads stating "When he's a sophomore and settles down, we'll be in the sweet 16".

I don't project Adam to change much on his own. He doesn't have the athleticism or length to be a consistent shot blocker at the B10 level. He will provide a legitimate C body on the glass and that could help a bit.

I just don't see him getting enough minutes to be considered a the primer for what I expect to be an 18-20 win program next year.

I would guess "no." Zeller is awfully good (not as good as his older bro, though). There are some great genes running in that family. Just my opinion, but I think the Zellers have more athletic ability. Woodbury will have an impact, though, but maybe not as the top Freshman in the league. If I am wrong, we are in very good shape:)

I would guess "no." Zeller is awfully good (not as good as his older bro, though). There are some great genes running in that family. Just my opinion, but I think the Zellers have more athletic ability. Woodbury will have an impact, though, but maybe not as the top Freshman in the league. If I am wrong, we are in very good shape:)

I disagree. Cody is better than Tyler.

Tim McCormick's opinions are null and void in this thread.

I agree. I was about sick listening to him the entire game, you'd have thought NW was the #1 team in the nation. Oh well, just pointing out what he said.

I think the team will be better next year, but I think it will be due to better defense and maturity of guys we have on the squad now, not just because of woodbury, though he is a big part of that improved defense.

I think his biggest impact will be in allowing other players to shift to more "natural positions".
Melsahn has struggled I think at some level from not having that center type guy around this year like last year with Cole.
I think White at the 3/4 will be more effective as well. Which is scary because he already is very effective. So that will make a big difference.

Also, it adds depth which is never a problem.

Finally, the street cred that Iowa now has from this class if they can couple that with another increase in wins next year should keep the wind behind Iowa's sails on the recruiting front.

I know some of the losses have been difficult this year but still feel we are way ahead of last year.

I am starting to think that unless we get another wing scorer in the class from the JUCO ranks that there won't be a huge bump in wins next year. Josh O is getting worse and other than one big game in a blow out loss has done nothing. We are going to struggle with shooting when Gatens is gone. Post play should be better but Woodbury will still be a freshman.

Assuming this years team will be about 15 or 16 wins (which is better than I thought) I don't know if next year will be able to improve a lot on that. White and Marble will have to be really good next year.

I think Iowa will make a big jump in 2 years. I predict a better team next year but still too many growing pains for the NCAA tournament.

Of course, I haven't gone through the returning talent for the other BIG teams.

I am not ready to say that he will have an impact as great as Zellers. I do think he will have a positive impact on our record. He brings to the Hawks what they lack the most right now. A consistent rebounder and better D in the post. I am surprised that some people don't think he will log significant minutes. I think he will be logging starter type minutes by the time the BTN schedule rolls around. I agree with the poster that noted the impact it will have on Basabe's game. It will move the focus to keeping Woody off the glass and free up Basabe. Someone noted that Woody didnt have the length to be a consistent shot blocker. I think he will definitely be a shot changer in the post, and this will also help the D.

Latest posts