Will We Have Football in the Fall?

Will we have a football season this fall?

• Season Cancelled

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Games played with no fans

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Games played with some fans

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Games played as normal

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably will be a realignment and new pods of FB teams, consisting of those colleges which decide that football is an "essential activity."

Probably will be a realignment and new pods of FB teams, consisting of those colleges which decide that football is an "essential activity."
Didn't ND proclaim that football was an essential activity? If the fighting Irish are up then maybe the UI should look and see if there is an open Saturday where they can play a game to make up for the one that was canceled after JFK was assassinated. Perhaps some sort of ad-hoc schedule between the universities could be thrown together to save the season. Imagine if Arizona, Boise State and the like are looking for contests. Usually game planning is done years in advance but desperate times call for creative thinking and courageous action.

People miss the mark on that issue, anyway. They think "freedom" means going anywhere, and doing anything, that they want with no regard for others and/or the greater public. If Wal-Mart wants to require masks, they can do it. If your local bar wants to require masks, they can do it. CDC guidelines, local ordinances, whatever, most will either be ignored or, in the case of ordinances/laws, overturned by a court. But what a court will NOT overturn, or even debate, is the right of a business to require masks, CDC guidelines or no CDC guidelines.

People confuse "rights" a little too often these days...

I saw a comparison awhile ago concerning "rights over safety. What if some of this people were in Britain during the NAzi blita when People were required to turn lights off at night. Imagine if people were expressing their "rights" to have lights on at night?

At some point, people need to realize that the good of the many outweigh the good of one.

I saw a comparison awhile ago concerning "rights over safety. What if some of this people were in Britain during the NAzi blita when People were required to turn lights off at night. Imagine if people were expressing their "rights" to have lights on at night?

At some point, people need to realize that the good of the many outweigh the good of one.
The only good thing about your nauseating mini COVID editorials is that they’ll most likely get deleted and then you’ll temper tantrum yourself into a ban.

If you want you can use me as your target of said temper tantrum. It’s worth it, and I have no shame so I won’t get hurt feelings.

There are only two possible scenarios for you.

1) You’re have a low two digit IQ and you actually believe you’ll change someone’s mind. Like—velcro shoes, I need help counting change level stupid.

2) (This is the worst type of person and where I think you fall) You know you won’t change anyone’s mind but you still feel the need to scream at the top of your lungs like a two year old in Walmart flopping around on the floor because mom won’t get that GI Joe for you. Screaming your opinion at people who don’t want to hear it, like crop dusting the room with a fart. Only the fart is more civilized because people can joke and laugh about it.

You strike me as the type of fella who’d go take a shit on his neighbor’s lawn because, by god, you’re gonna make him look at it whether he wants to or not.

Literally no one on this website gives a F if you think the country is doing too much, or too little about COVID. Take your “somebody listen to meeeee!!!” garbage somewhere else to people who want to discuss it.

I’ll be waiting for you temper tantrum with bated breath. Feed me Seymour.

People miss the mark on that issue, anyway. They think "freedom" means going anywhere, and doing anything, that they want with no regard for others and/or the greater public. If Wal-Mart wants to require masks, they can do it. If your local bar wants to require masks, they can do it. CDC guidelines, local ordinances, whatever, most will either be ignored or, in the case of ordinances/laws, overturned by a court. But what a court will NOT overturn, or even debate, is the right of a business to require masks, CDC guidelines or no CDC guidelines.

People confuse "rights" a little too often these days...
Can you help us all out and do something to get banned?

Oh, I don’t know, like talking politics.

We’d all appreciate it.

Didn't ND proclaim that football was an essential activity? If the fighting Irish are up then maybe the UI should look and see if there is an open Saturday where they can play a game to make up for the one that was canceled after JFK was assassinated. Perhaps some sort of ad-hoc schedule between the universities could be thrown together to save the season. Imagine if Arizona, Boise State and the like are looking for contests. Usually game planning is done years in advance but desperate times call for creative thinking and courageous action.
Many colleges and programs will be fighting for their financial lives. Programs that fund a football team but don't make much money off of it (or lose money) will be the first to drop out. SEC schools have a "religion of football" so that type of program is "essential." It seems to me, not knowing anything, like all the others.

Yes, put ND on the early season slate: "The Covid19 Bowl" "We Are All In It Together Bowl" "Listen To The Scientists Bowl"

The only good thing about your nauseating mini COVID editorials is that they’ll most likely get deleted and then you’ll temper tantrum yourself into a ban.

If you want you can use me as your target of said temper tantrum. It’s worth it, and I have no shame so I won’t get hurt feelings.

There are only two possible scenarios for you.

1) You’re have a low two digit IQ and you actually believe you’ll change someone’s mind. Like—velcro shoes, I need help counting change level stupid.

2) (This is the worst type of person and where I think you fall) You know you won’t change anyone’s mind but you still feel the need to scream at the top of your lungs like a two year old in Walmart flopping around on the floor because mom won’t get that GI Joe for you. Screaming your opinion at people who don’t want to hear it, like crop dusting the room with a fart. Only the fart is more civilized because people can joke and laugh about it.

You strike me as the type of fella who’d go take a shit on his neighbor’s lawn because, by god, you’re gonna make him look at it whether he wants to or not.

Literally no one on this website gives a F if you think the country is doing too much, or too little about COVID. Take your “somebody listen to meeeee!!!” garbage somewhere else to people who want to discuss it.

I’ll be waiting for you temper tantrum with bated breath. Feed me Seymour.

LOL. This was an awesome over reaction. Thank you for it. Made me chuckle and wonder if you had too much to drink before you posted.

BUT

History shows the second wave is always worse than the 1st.

I may not change your mind, which is unfortunate. But you have the right to live your life as you see fit, no matter the consequences, and that is one of the great things about this country.

The good thing about all these people gathering is it will provide a lot more information on transmission and if people have natural antibodies already, etc.

Did you see the race in NC with 4000 people packed into the stands? There is the first opportunity to see what happens when large gatherings occur.

Iowa in the Top Ten! Oh, wait. That’s in covid19 spread. I want desperately to get back to normal. But when I see the reactions by far too many people to re-opening as wildly irresponsible, I guess it may be longer than should be necessary. So, due to their actions, I will have to stay sheltered longer. That is a true violation of my rights.

From the CDC. Stanford came up with this number (Scenario 5) over a month ago.
These are symptomatic numbers only. When Asymptomatic numbers are included the IFR drops dramatically.

cdc-fatality-table.png

If you're under 64 and have symptoms, the IFR, without accounting for chronic health problems, is approximate to the seasonal influenza.

In Canada, doctors have stated that the risk of dying from the Wuhan virus is equivalent to dying in a car accident.

An Oxford study has posited that 50-60% of the UK population has been infected with the Wuhan flu by the end of March.

In Sweden, which did not lock-down or shelter-in-place, numbers show the 80+ age group was hit hard by Covid, but the death rate for all reasons in the 0-79 age group has remained consistent during the Wuhan flu pandemic compared to the previous decade.

In the United States, 65% of all US deaths are in 7 states that comprise 18% of the population
-- NY, NJ, CT, NH, MI, IL, PA --
these states forced nursing homes to re-enter Covid-infected people from hospitals to their residences.

According to Dr. Fauci, 0.100 is the ~percantage of the seasonal flu fatality rate for all age groups in the US which is equivalent to the death rate for all deaths of 20-29 year olds.

A Spanish antibody model shows 20-29 age group fatality rate of 0.010% (yes, it is Spain and not the US, but the CDC and NIH aren't putting out those numbers).
The healthiness of student-athletes would decrease these numbers.

The SSA's probabilty of death for age groups
0-9 ........ 0.073%
10-19 .... 0.033%
20-29 .... 0.107%
30-39 .... 0.160%
40-49 .... 0.267%
50-59 .... 0.614%
60-69 ... 1.3%
70-79 ... 3.0%
80-89 ... 8.6%
90+ ... 25.0%

Every year of life is covid. We normally don't think of life that way because the percentage of death beating us, as individuals, is so small.

The year 2020 has helped us re-focus our sight on this foundational fact of life: death is undefeated.

Since that is true, we also need to see the other importance of life: living it.

There should be football.
There should be fans in the stands.

If you are old, have chronic health problems, then you should stay home; and for Karen's sake, stop going to the grocery store every day.

If you want to Karen to your life away, then you do you.
Let people who want to live life, live life.

Is IS tempting, but I've gotten to be good friends with all the people who sit around me over the years, and hate to lose that. If I wouldn't reup there's a chance my 2 seats wouldn't be chosen by someone else for this season, but that's a crapshoot. I'll probably purchase them and hope they don't allow fans into Kinnick at the start of the season so I can at least get reimbursed for at least a couple games from UI, and try to sell the other games to younger folks.

If they do allow fans in, and the people around you that you’ve become friends with are ok with it, I could be tempted to purchase a game from you. I’m 45, healthy with no priors, and am willing to take the risk.

If they do allow fans in, and the people around you that you’ve become friends with are ok with it, I could be tempted to purchase a game from you. I’m 45, healthy with no priors, and am willing to take the risk.

See. This is where I wish we could all have a civil conversation without some folks taking it political.

Like, I could ask - What would have to happen between now and the first week of September for you to not want to take the risk?

But I can’t ask that because people will want to divide the convo down party lines. So, please don’t answer the question.

Like, I could ask - What would have to happen between now and the first week of September for you to not want to take the risk?

But I can’t ask that because people will want to divide the convo down party lines. So, please don’t answer the question.

not much will change my mind. For me, there’s only a couple of options. Get it, and live. Or get it, and die. I believe the virus is widely more prevalent than any one of us realizes. But I don’t think I’ll die. To me, it boils down to this. What’s the use in stayin alive if you ain’t livin? I do think there will be a vaccine in a short period of time. By short I mean 6-8 months. But I expect to get it, have expected to. I’ve avoided it so far. But I can’t imagine my luck will continue.

I respect Rob that you and I disagree on this. I’m good with it. It’s just coronavirus. It’s not personal. You didn’t make it, neither did I. It’s not like you caught me banging your wife. That’s personal.

some people can’t stay home, they have to go. Have to work. Have to feed their own. They don’t like it, but it’s what they have to do. They’re scared. How can I tell them to stay home?

some people have to stay home. They aren’t as healthy as me. They’re scared. I respect that. How can I tell them to get out?

we all have a million different reasons. Why is mine better than yours? Why is yours better than mine?

just my $.02. There is a whole shitload of judgment right now, and NEITHER side is being very compassionate or understanding. I guess for once I’ll treat people the way I want to be treated.

I will say this. Turning off the news has been the best thing I’ve done. I learn more about coronavirus on this forum than anywhere else.

Maybe it’s my faith in the man upstairs and his son that help me through this. But I’m hopeful I know where I’m going when this is done. Be well friends. Go Hawks.

Im type 1 diabetic and over 50. Otherwise, my health is good. But that could change in an instant. When I see people frolicing in a pool at the Lake of the Ozarks like nothing is happening, Or saying screw you I want to go and watch a football game with 70k people, that bothers me. And could, literally, kill me. Its not political, its personal.

St Louis county has issued a travel advisory for anyone who went to the lake this weekend. Told them to self quarantine for 14 days or until they test negative for the virus.

There a lot smarter people out there than me who think this is serious.

In before lock. Was going to post a booby pic, but there enough boobs around here. Just kidding. I like everyone...except my 3rd grade teacher. :mad:

I’m type 2 diabetic over 50. Other than a few lbs over “ideal” weight in good health.

I work for a utility. I have to work. I have to go in houses and businesses. Wear gloves and mask on the job. Wash hands like supposed to.

It doesn’t matter to me if thousands of people go to a lake or beach. I’m not going there so it doesn’t effect me.

Thousands more are going to the grocery store, pet store, gas station, public transportation.
Nobody is complaining about that.

70k going to a football game, it won’t be that many, but whatever the number, people have the choice to go or not. Student-athletes have the choice to play or not play.

If I can, I plan on going to an Iowa game or two and some MLB and or MiBL. Until then, I’ll catch some local high school baseball.

Thank God for summer.

I’m type 2 diabetic over 50. Other than a few lbs over “ideal” weight in good health.

I work for a utility. I have to work. I have to go in houses and businesses. Wear gloves and mask on the job. Wash hands like supposed to.

It doesn’t matter to me if thousands of people go to a lake or beach. I’m not going there so it doesn’t effect me.

Thousands more are going to the grocery store, pet store, gas station, public transportation.
Nobody is complaining about that.

70k going to a football game, it won’t be that many, but whatever the number, people have the choice to go or not. Student-athletes have the choice to play or not play.

If I can, I plan on going to an Iowa game or two and some MLB and or MiBL. Until then, I’ll catch some local high school baseball.

Thank God for summer.

I expect nothing less

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts