Will We Have Football in the Fall?

Will we have a football season this fall?

• Season Cancelled

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Games played with no fans

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Games played with some fans

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Games played as normal

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting approach by the ticket office. Wondering how they would address the seat fees (sorry refused to call it a donation when its mandatory) for all those paying fees for 50 yard line seats
So if they end up only letting in 50% or whatever fraction of the stadium full of people how will they go about selling them? The rich folks will get first dibs and capitalism will prevail is my first assumption. Or might they go by who's had tickets the longest? I know couple that's had their seats since the 60s But they aren't rich/huge boosters. Just long time loyal. Be sad that they can't get in...

I have a feeling this is where the mandatory "donations" for seating comes into play. I'm just not sure why they assume we're all idiots and call them donations. Last I knew donations were optional....these are more like a season ticket tax they hit you with to rake in more money.

Interesting approach by the ticket office. Wondering how they would address the seat fees (sorry refused to call it a donation when its mandatory) for all those paying fees for 50 yard line seats

I have a feeling this is where the mandatory "donations" for seating comes into play. I'm just not sure why they assume we're all idiots and call them donations. Last I knew donations were optional....these are more like a season ticket tax they hit you with to rake in more money.
Yeah pandering at a high level... Don't pee on me and tell me it's raining.

Saint Louis University announced a couple possible options for the Fall semester. Here is part of a letter they sent out.

Start of the term: First, our undergraduate classes will begin on Monday, Aug. 17, rather than our currently scheduled Aug. 26 start. Starting early will allow more in-person instruction before a potential resurgence in the number of COVID-19 cases.

Fall break: Additionally, to accommodate the required number of class days, we are condensing the regularly scheduled fall break to a single day in October. That date has yet to be determined. Following the advice of the experts we are consulting, we want to avoid sending our students home to cities across the country and beyond, and then have them return to back campus.

End of the term: We are considering two alternatives for how we approach final exams, and we need additional input from you as we work toward a decision in the coming weeks. These options include:

• Option A:
    • Class conclusion: Tuesday, Nov. 24.
    • Study days: Wednesday, Nov 25 to Sunday, Nov. 29. (Students living on campus will return home during these days until the spring semester.)
    • Final exams dates: Monday, Nov. 30 to Friday, Dec. 4.
    • Final exams method: Online
  • Option B:
    • Class conclusion: Wednesday, Nov. 18
    • Study days: Thursday, Nov. 19
    • Final exams dates: Friday, Nov. 20, Saturday, Nov. 21, Monday, Nov. 23, and Tuesday, Nov. 24
    • Final exams method: In-person and online (Students living on campus will return home after finals until the spring semester.)

Indiana planning hybrid with in-person instruction being suspended on Nov. 20 and not reconvening until Feb. 8:

The 2020-21 Academic Year
Throughout this planning, the health and safety of our community have been and will continue to be our top priority as I noted, and that requires some important changes for the year ahead:

1. Academic calendar: The 2020-21 academic year will run from Aug. 24 to May 9 as originally planned but will now be in three parts:

1. The Fall Semester, which will run from Aug. 24 through Dec. 20. Classes may be in-person or online until Thanksgiving week (Nov. 20), when all in-person instruction will end. The rest of the semester will be online only. There will be no Fall break.
  2. Campuses will have the flexibility to use the online-only period (Nov. 30 to Feb. 8 – a new Winter Session) in various ways: to finish fall semester courses, to begin spring semester courses, or to create new intensive courses that use either or both the December and January online periods.
  3. The Spring Semester will begin with online only instruction on Jan. 19 and then resume in-person instruction on Feb. 8. The semester will run to May 9 without a Spring break.
  4. Undergraduate students who take advantage of IU’s banded tuition rates can include courses from the Fall Semester, Winter Session or Spring Semester as part of the new calendar without any additional cost.
Details for each campus’s course schedule will be updated at fall2020.iu.edu. I am grateful to the University Faculty Council for endorsing these major changes to our academic calendar for 2020-21 in support of our important instructional and safety requirements.

2. Residential housing: All rooms in all of IU’s residence halls will be single occupancy, but with a rigorous exemption process available for students who may wish to choose their own roommate.
Wow, no spring break! That's one of the more significant aspects in all this. The idea of a spring break has become quite an entitlement in schools for a long time.

What will be interesting is the plan now could change during the next three months. Maybe more seats open up if the situation improves between now and the opener. Maybe they end up having to reduce the crowds if it gets worse and refund money.

What about food/drink sales, merchandise, etc? Plus organizations that have tables/booths? And media?

It could be a fun time in athletic departments the next few months. Or not.

What will be interesting is how schools handle "certain" games. Think O$U vs. Michigan will be played at half-capacity? And what about Army-Navy? That would be too weird seeing those games with limited capacity. But, they do come at end of regular season, when some schools will have already sent students home.

Off the subject, but my 3 nephews stayed in Gainesville for the whole Spring semester. The youngest literally had his whole dorm floor to himself. No RA, or anyone else.

Stadiums being blocked off could very well be used to watch games on line = on-demand game with the excuse that financial shortfalls have to be recovered since athletic budgets are self-finances.

Stadiums being blocked off could very well be used to watch games on line = on-demand game with the excuse that financial shortfalls have to be recovered since athletic budgets are self-finances.

That would be financial suicide for most programs. They would lose the existing media rights revenue, which is so high because we already have a "pay per view lite" pricing model (you gotta pay at least $50 a month for a package that includes sports channels and the conference specialty sports channels). Marquis games would do okay in a pure pay per view world, but fans would be downright pissed if they had to pay $10 to watch Michigan-OSU and is was 42-7 at halftime.

Iowa and ISU season ticket holders couldn't be more different. There's a lot of really huge, really old money in Iowa City and the ones who really count are gonna pay for the seats to hold them. The tickets are also way more in-demand than for some podunk football program in Webster City or wherever the F ISU is located.

In other words, ISU did what they did because they had to to keep a fanbase. Iowa is doing what it's doing because it can.

Concur. I think Jamie was doing it to bump season tick sales. They were at 22,000 so he mentions 30k as the ceiling potentially. So was trying to get a rush on some ticket sales. Every AD is working the scenarios, but JP came out marketed one scenario out of a dozen they have in the pocket. I would bet their ticket sales got a bump just because people think OMG we better hurry they are capping it at 30k and won't sell any more. The Clone fans of course tout this as JP being a visionary.

That would be financial suicide for most programs. They would lose the existing media rights revenue, which is so high because we already have a "pay per view lite" pricing model (you gotta pay at least $50 a month for a package that includes sports channels and the conference specialty sports channels). Marquis games would do okay in a pure pay per view world, but fans would be downright pissed if they had to pay $10 to watch Michigan-OSU and is was 42-7 at halftime.
True. Good points.

What will be interesting is how schools handle "certain" games. Think O$U vs. Michigan will be played at half-capacity? And what about Army-Navy? That would be too weird seeing those games with limited capacity. But, they do come at end of regular season, when some schools will have already sent students home.

Off the subject, but my 3 nephews stayed in Gainesville for the whole Spring semester. The youngest literally had his whole dorm floor to himself. No RA, or anyone else.

Can't imagine hearing how a University would try spinning it that money is secondary to the health and safety of the student athletes if they were to put an attendance limit in place for for all games with the exception of that one big game circled on everyone's calendar.

Can't imagine hearing how a University would try spinning it that money is secondary to the health and safety of the student athletes if they were to put an attendance limit in place for for all games with the exception of that one big game circled on everyone's calendar.

Which is why I think conference games will be full attendance. But it may just become a conference-by-conference, or maybe even NCAA, mandate.

If individual schools make the decision, we will see a cluster-F on a level not yet seen in human history.

Which is why I think conference games will be full attendance. But it may just become a conference-by-conference, or maybe even NCAA, mandate.

If individual schools make the decision, we will see a cluster-F on a level not yet seen in human history.

I agree completely. For anyone that follows Champions league Soccer we almost got to experience it first hand when the Pandemic started and the Italian squads were told they would play without fans while the rest of the teams from various leagues hadn't instituted attendance policies at that point. Fortunately for the Italian teams things got shut down shortly after. I can't imagine what it would be like to go into packed stadiums on the road and then getting to hear a pin drop at home where there are no fans in attendance.

Here we go! One of the participants of the Lae of the Ozarks shit show that was on the news has tested positive. I wonder how that affects the June turn out?

Its like the old STD comment, you have had sex with everyone they have had sex with.

Here we go! One of the participants of the Lae of the Ozarks shit show that was on the news has tested positive. I wonder how that affects the June turn out?

Its like the old STD comment, you have had sex with everyone they have had sex with.
So what are you suggesting? We all practice celibacy the rest of our lives?

Concur. I think Jamie was doing it to bump season tick sales. They were at 22,000 so he mentions 30k as the ceiling potentially. So was trying to get a rush on some ticket sales. Every AD is working the scenarios, but JP came out marketed one scenario out of a dozen they have in the pocket. I would bet their ticket sales got a bump just because people think OMG we better hurry they are capping it at 30k and won't sell any more. The Clone fans of course tout this as JP being a visionary.

He cited 30k because currently the standard set down by the governor is 50% capacity. 30k is half of Trice.

It goes well beyond that.
Every little gas station on the way to the game. The college town itself. Every vendor.
Don't for a second think college football doesn't have a part of the economy.
I find the whole thing rather fascinating.
Everyone sitting in their rooms or private talks trying to figure out what's what and how to proceed. I'm sorry, I am not trying to make fun of, but it's quite fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts