Will Fran go after top PG transfer?

See, I read the lack of penetrators on Iowa's team as evidence of how well Cartwright played, not as an explanation for his high assist numbers. Not only did Cartwright have to play a ton of minutes in the second half of the season, but the entire offense had to run through him for Iowa to do anything at all. He wasn't great from the line, but at least he got there (75 FT attempts on the year, which was #4 on the team). I realize the 3.3 TOs doesn't look great, but the guy was our only ball handler for long stretches of play. How many sets boiled down to Bryce being forced to make something out of nothing? Does he have those problems if he plays at Ohio State? I say no way.

I just keep coming back to the 44% team field goal shooting percentage. If Iowa can bump it up even to 47% next year, what kind of numbers does BC put up? You might say he put up inflated numbers on an 11-win team, but without him, how many would we have won? Six? Maybe?

I could care less about who offered who and when. Put a competing scholarship offer in one hand and take a dump in the other and see which fills up first.

You are right, without Bryce Cartwright Iowa wins 7 games.

BUT, without Moore, Purdue wins 18 games. Without Lucas Michigan State wins 13 games. I think you can take out a player from every team in the country and that team is going to lose more games.

Cartwright was very important to Iowa this year and they needed his ability to get in the lane. I just strongly believe that he is an average PG in the Big 10 and Iowa can find better talent down the road.

NO YOU DIDN'T!!! You just gave facts to back up an argument with a Cyclone fan. I doesn't matter because they don't get it. They have God as their coach and NOTHING, NOTHING can beat that!! Garrett was 2nd team All Big 12 and they claim he should have been All-American because God made him NBA caliber!

At least our God isn't an old southern fat hick that paints locker-rooms pink...

Jokes aside, I've never heard anyone call Hoiberg a God! The jealousy that you guys get consumed in over Hoiberg getting in talent at ISU is incredible. It's easy to ridicule ISU when the talent isn't showing up at your school, but at least we have optimism surrounding our program for the next few years, Iowa just has uncertainty...

I think Fran is a good coach, but it'll take awhile for him to get the ball rolling, Iowa and ISU have had similar seasons recently but Iowa's program is in shambles when it comes to support, optimism and incoming transfers/recruits.

Not going to lie, I'm unsure how much of it was Fred, but Diante did turn into one hell of a guard last season. No denying that...

Ignore HawkeyeRyno, he is a troll and is just trying to get under everyone's skin. I'm glad there are other rational posters here to talk with but he is one of the ridiculous extreme ISU haters. Looking at hawkIhoops' recent posts he falls under that category as well.

(BTW hawkIhoops, ISU has basically the exact same academic standards as Iowa)

I think Cartwright is a good player for you guys but he is pretty one dimensional. He is a good slasher and passer, but his shooting leaves something to be desired. It was still a pretty good get for you guys so late in the game.

At least our God isn't an old southern fat hick that paints locker-rooms pink...

That hick is an ex-Marine that kicked ISU's *** all over the field for 15 straight years to the tune of 590-206, won three conference crowns, signed SMU's first black player and is in the College Football Hall of Fame.

Hoiberg has done what?

Ignore HawkeyeRyno, he is a troll and is just trying to get under everyone's skin. I'm glad there are other rational posters here to talk with but he is one of the ridiculous extreme ISU haters. Looking at hawkIhoops' recent posts he falls under that category as well.

(BTW hawkIhoops, ISU has basically the exact same academic standards as Iowa)

I think Cartwright is a good player for you guys but he is pretty one dimensional. He is a good slasher and passer, but his shooting leaves something to be desired. It was still a pretty good get for you guys so late in the game.

That's pretty rich. A cyclone fan on an Iowa site accusing a Hawkeye fan of trolling.

Stay on cyclonenation if you want everyone to agree with you.

I think Fran is a good coach, but it'll take awhile for him to get the ball rolling, Iowa and ISU have had similar seasons recently but Iowa's program is in shambles when it comes to support, optimism and incoming transfers/recruits.

No idea where you're getting this. I don't think you'll find another 11-win team in the country with more optimistic fans. Actual attendance (butts in the seats) was up by more than 2,000 fans/game over last year. No question the program was in a shambles in winter 2009. But I think most fans are cautiously very optimistic about the future.

Wow, the amount of kool aid cyclown fans have to drink to believe this crap must be measured in metric tons. You realize that MOST programs are lucky to get one transfer / castaway in every few years. Pursuing kids kicked off teams is typically NOT a recruiting strategy most legit coaches engage in. Somehow Iowa State, who has been just as brutal as Iowa the past few years, is now a magnet for high profile malcontents and you don't think twice about it? Ignorance is bliss.

Does Hoiberg even know there are high schools out there that produce kids that want to go to college to play ball? Oh , I forgot, he was the talent director for the T-Wolves, who will be the next NBA to bite the dust due to being awful.

Well, I'm not sure how that had anything to do with what you quoted, but you obviously wanted to get it off your chest.

You can make all the excuses that you want on how ISU has a talent influx and Iowa is still floundering like a dead fish, but it's fairly simple to see why. ISU has the facilities, has the fan support and has more weapons with the coaching staff when it comes to recruiting.

You can kick, scream, cry foul, ***** and moan all you want - all I ask is just to slow it down, it's going to be like this for quite some time and I don't want you to drain yourself emotionally too quickly.

Last edited:
Interesting topic. On one hand, we could certainly use a transfer to help with an immediate talent infusion. On the other, as folks have pointed out, a lot of these kids are head cases, ME guys, bad operators or all three. ISU is a perfect fit, given the "class is optional" aspect of the big 12 conference, but most would not like McCaffrey telling them "no deals, you earn your minutes" "you have to be student as well as an athlete".

I can't decide what is more hilarious in this thread, that somebody would actually believe this or Ryno passing himself off as having any idea about Brandon Spearman's recruitment. And no, it's basically confirmed, ISU is not involved in the least and will not be.

That's pretty rich. A cyclone fan on an Iowa site accusing a Hawkeye fan of trolling.

Stay on cyclonenation if you want everyone to agree with you.

I am not a troll. My opinions are rational and respectful. If you don't understand the difference, then I can't help you.

He is a Hawkeye fan giving his opinion on a Hawkeye fansite. If you don't like it, go to a Cyclone website, but don't stay here and complain about it.

I come here to listen to Hawkeye discussion, I'm not exactly sure why you come here.

He is a Hawkeye fan giving his opinion on a Hawkeye fansite. If you don't like it, go to a Cyclone website, but don't stay here and complain about it.

I come here to listen to Hawkeye discussion, I'm not exactly sure why you come here.

I come here to talk in state rivals sports and get some logical and rational points of view from people from another fan base. I do not come here to here some ****** spout off about how ISU players don't go to class or get everything handed to them unlike Iowa which apparently holds their players to a normal standard. That isn't true.

I also don't come here to hear about ISU fans thinking Hoiberg is God other BS like Ryno is saying.

I appreciate other people's opinions as long as they aren't full of hyperbole and false accusations.

I have no trouble hearing Hawk fans opinions or hearing smack talk from you guys, but I am not just going to be quiet while someone tries to pass off stupid lies like that about the school I attend.

I come here because I also root for Iowa, and I think it's funny when Ryno blatantly lies yet has people come to defend him simply because he roots for the same team.

:eek: You ever play basketball? Coach it? How many guys on Iowa's team can penetrate? 1. Bryce Cartwright. He should have high assist #'s. Teams like OSU, MSU, etc have guys that could average more assists a game but they have 3 to 5 guys capable of getting to the paint and getting assists. Iowa doesn't have that luxury right now. They have Cartwright and that is it.

Bryce Cartwright shoots 27% from 3 point range, 39% from FG, 69% FT, and turns it over 3.5 times on an 11 win team. He may be your best player, but it doesn't change the fact that he is very average.

It's not a knock on Iowa. I'd say the same thing about guys like JVB, Jake Anderson, etc. Iowa needs to and can get better guards than Cartwright.

Yes, Brommer and Archie were very Shawn Kemp like as they ran the lanes, delivering thunderous dunk after thunderous dunk after simple passes by Cartwright. It's also possible you mistook Gatens or May for Brent Barry or Dan Majerle, as they continually dropped long range bombs on the opposition off assists from Cartwright.

Collecting assists for Iowa this season was like severe constipation. Lots of effort and sweat for little output.

I come here to talk in state rivals sports and get some logical and rational points of view from people from another fan base. I do not come here to here some ****** spout off about how ISU players don't go to class or get everything handed to them unlike Iowa which apparently holds their players to a normal standard. That isn't true.

I also don't come here to hear about ISU fans thinking Hoiberg is God other BS like Ryno is saying.

I appreciate other people's opinions as long as they aren't full of hyperbole and false accusations.

I have no trouble hearing Hawk fans opinions or hearing smack talk from you guys, but I am not just going to be quiet while someone tries to pass off stupid lies like that about the school I attend.

There is a Rivalry Forum on this site which was created for fans like you.
This board is titled Iowa Basketball,which would infer that it is for Iowa bb fans. So maybe you should take your responses to that board where you can go defend the honor of your bb program or coach to your hearts content.

There is a Rivalry Forum on this site which was created for fans like you.
This board is titled Iowa Basketball,which would infer that it is for Iowa bb fans. So maybe you should take your responses to that board where you can go defend the honor of your bb program or coach to your hearts content.
OP should have left out the ISU comment and this thread may have held togethere a little longer. Not much longer given the thread is a product of pure hope and desperation. There is nothing to say that Franny Mac or Freddy care one iota about what kind of role Juwan Staten wants to play on a new team. They are transferring. They won't be the first or the last, and there is no evidence linking them to either program right now, so what are we talking about again?

Ignore HawkeyeRyno, he is a troll and is just trying to get under everyone's skin. I'm glad there are other rational posters here to talk with but he is one of the ridiculous extreme ISU haters...

How am I a troll?! I'm the one who started this thread (amongst others) regarding this intriguing player.

I purposely want to annoy idiot Cyclone fans because there optimism about a group of felons that couldn't handle it under BETTER coaches and BETTER teams are somehow going to create ISU into some basketball powerhouse is the most ridiculous thing I've heard and deserves to get ridiculed. Especially when it was Cyclone fans claiming the Big Ten is such a weak conference and these players were no good BEFORE they transferred to Iowa State Correctional College.

But the more I listen the more I'm buying into the hype! I've already put Iowa State CC and New Mexico in the championship game next season.

How am I a troll?! I'm the one who started this thread (amongst others) regarding this intriguing player.

I purposely want to annoy idiot Cyclone fans because there optimism about a group of felons that couldn't handle it under BETTER coaches and BETTER teams are somehow going to create ISU into some basketball powerhouse is the most ridiculous thing I've heard and deserves to get ridiculed. Especially when it was Cyclone fans claiming the Big Ten is such a weak conference and these players were no good BEFORE they transferred to Iowa State Correctional College.

But the more I listen the more I'm buying into the hype! I've already put Iowa State CC and New Mexico in the championship game next season.

Thanks for caring so much about ISU to get so bent about it.

Collecting assists for Iowa this season was like severe constipation. Lots of effort and sweat for little output.

Swirlin drops a gem like this, and all you guys can do is have the same Iowa/ISU shouting match you've been having for (what feels like) four decades? What a waste of wit.