who's your next head coach: a fun theoretical discussion

Brohm is fun, but he is also down-to-earth, and his teams are fundamentally sound. Any one know what the hell happened against Minnesota last week?
PJ didn't provide enough life jackets.

Minnesota has been wildly inconsistent, but a tough out at home since we won up there what seems like five years ago. They could easily win out, even if Wisconsin is in Madison.

Perhaps the oddest feature to KF, a 20 year coach, is just how small his coaching tree is.
Not really.
Some players have went on.
Lots of coaches stayed and didn't want to leave and create a bigger tree. That actually says a lot. Volumes.
Like momma always used to say, if they are always hiring, there is a reason and most of the time it's because nobody wants to work there.
Look at Nebraska. Don't fool yourself Frost was who they wanted, yes, but lots of people wouldn't touch that gig with a 10 ft pole. Who wants to quit a job, move their family when you have a pretty good idea the gig isn't going to last?
Frost made some demands before he even took the job at his old college. That should tell you something right there.

Perhaps the oddest feature to KF, a 20 year coach, is just how small his coaching tree is.

Eric Johnson was recruiting coordinator and he left, what, 4 years ago to open a Culver's in Tennessee. His guys have all worked through the system and we have racked up impressive back to back losses to Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin and PSU.

The Culver's has a 4 star rating on Yelp, which is not an easy task these days. That is a success story.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/culvers-mount-juliet

Minnesota has been wildly inconsistent, but a tough out at home since we won up there what seems like five years ago. They could easily win out, even if Wisconsin is in Madison.

We just beat them at home like 4 weeks ago.

Not really.
Some players have went on.
Lots of coaches stayed and didn't want to leave and create a bigger tree. That actually says a lot. Volumes.
Like momma always used to say, if they are always hiring, there is a reason and most of the time it's because nobody wants to work there.
Look at Nebraska. Don't fool yourself Frost was who they wanted, yes, but lots of people wouldn't touch that gig with a 10 ft pole. Who wants to quit a job, move their family when you have a pretty good idea the gig isn't going to last?
Frost made some demands before he even took the job at his old college. That should tell you something right there.

Fry had an impressive tree. One of the best ever.

I would rather have young, hungry guys looking to be HCs than a bunch of yes men.

I dont think those guys hated working for Fry. I think Fry hired guys that wanted to be the best at their job.

I see nothing of that type of thing in any of KFs staff.

8 - 13 is a little low for me.

I like Jeff Tedford, Mike Leach, Mark Helfrich, and Luke Fickell. Mike Leach would be my first choice. He can coach, recruit, and he's just all out weird which would be a complete change of direction for Iowa.

Yeah, first couple years would be rough, but it would be nice to have a Texas connection again. If he could bring a defense with him, Hawks would be tough to contend with in the west.

Norvell was 3-9 1st year at Nevada, now 6-4 in his 2nd year. So, getting better. I like Tedford as well. Not sure Leach would come, but worth a call. Not big on Helfrich and Fickell.

This is a tougher than I thought. How long until a new President? AD? I think KF goes until Dillon Doyle graduates and leaves w/ Chris Doyle.

Philosophy on what the president / AD / Iowa City law enforcement matters in this decision. You can recruit 4*/5* to Iowa City - but need a coach that is comfortable and can handle what comes with it - entourages, money to pay players, things that get swept under, etc. Then you can start throwing names out.

Yeah, but at 51, 10 good years out of Klieman is very doable, maybe more. (KFz is 63) That's a pretty good run and he could groom his successor.

That's what I am thinking. I'm not viewing him as that old when I think about him. There's plenty left in him. Iowa fans have to realize that we are the outlier with having 2 coaches in 40 years. Even a coach going a decade is pretty long anymore.

Fry had an impressive tree. One of the best ever.

I would rather have young, hungry guys looking to be HCs than a bunch of yes men.

I dont think those guys hated working for Fry. I think Fry hired guys that wanted to be the best at their job.

I see nothing of that type of thing in any of KFs staff.

I didn't mean it that way. I was saying there are different ways to look at it.
I agree about younger guys. My question is are they being heard? At the beginning of the year we ran a trick play thought up by a younger coach. It worked.
I think we definitely need the experience also. Nobody is going to argue that Morgan can flat out coach. Yet he isn't 30 years old anymore.
But we need to maybe listen to and give other younger guys a fair listen as well.
I think Fry was Fry because he did listen. Because he surrounded himself with talented coaches regardless of age and pretty much experience.
Again Morgan is arguably one of the best coaches and he was coaching hs before Iowa. So big names and experience isn't everything.

Last edited:
That's what I am thinking. I'm not viewing him as that old when I think about him. There's plenty left in him. Iowa fans have to realize that we are the outlier with having 2 coaches in 40 years. Even a coach going a decade is pretty long anymore.

Urban Meyer is 54, Harbaugh is 54, Lovie is 60, Dantonio is 62, Chryst is 52, Franklin and Brohm are both 46 Klieman is not too old.

We just beat them at home like 4 weeks ago.
You're correct. After everything that's transpired since Stanley missed TJ on a sure touchdown it seems, as stated my post, like a lot longer than a few weeks.

In technical terms, we've won up there three times since 2013. It's hard to put the last three weeks in technical terms.

Norvell was 3-9 1st year at Nevada, now 6-4 in his 2nd year. So, getting better. I like Tedford as well. Not sure Leach would come, but worth a call. Not big on Helfrich and Fickell.

Tedford's Cal teams could run and pass, and played defense well. He fell victim to Oregon and Stanford's resurrections coming at the same time while he was switching assistant coaches across the board.

This is a great video:

Poor Goofers. I wouldn't mind seeing them break their bad streak against Wisco.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

240_F_104553108_8KUZctzxGzKXriRIZvCkvqAxMoD4ebRc.jpg

Latest posts