who's your next head coach: a fun theoretical discussion

mrolympia

theoretically, say ferentz "steps down" at the end of the year (or today), who do you go after? We all know barta is willing to pay insane amounts of money 7 million per season is the limit (that's pretty stupid but not top 4 stupid)
my top 3 in no real order:
Mark Stoops, Mike Leach, Chris Petersen.

theoretically, say ferentz "steps down" at the end of the year (or today), who do you go after? We all know barta is willing to pay insane amounts of money 7 million per season is the limit (that's pretty stupid but not top 4 stupid)
my top 3 in no real order:
Mark Stoops, Mike Leach, Chris Petersen.
Only Stoops would consider coming to Iowa.

Since this is a fun theoretical I'm going all out.

If I'm AD, my first call is to Bob Stoops. I sell him being HC for 3-5 years, building his former team into a program the way he wants, and handing off it off to his hand-picked assistant.

My second call is to Matt Campbell. I just think he's really good. This would be a very long shot but if he can make ISU as good as he has, he could do wonders at Iowa.

Mark Stoops would be 3rd on my list simply because he played at Iowa and maybe I could hold on to him for awhile if he was successful.

I have to include that I truly believe Barta would/will completely f up the hiring of KF's successor. Basically it will be Brian which could cause mass revolt among the fans because Iowa's offense is always so poor or a current MAC HC which will excite nobody. So its basically Brian is going to turn out to be a good coach or we depending on a blind squirrel to find a nut.

#1 — IowaLaws’sAlwaysRight.

Obviously.

Imagine the “objective” post-game analysis and 1/3 season analysis after 3 games that would be on this site then!

Totally.

Part of the "fun" of this discussion is having somewhat realistic candidates. Chris Peterson would never come to Iowa. This makes no sense.

My pick - Jim Caldwell (please don't be Lovie Smith 2.0)

So its basically Brian is going to turn out to be a good coach or we depending on a blind squirrel to find a nut.

Well, Pollard found Campbell. You know what they say about blind squirrels.

Unfortunately our squirrel is both blind and clueless, so we're pretty much screwed.

If I'm AD, my first call is to Bob Stoops. I sell him being HC for 3-5 years, building his former team into a program the way he wants, and handing off it off to his hand-picked assistant.

My second call is to Matt Campbell. I just think he's really good. This would be a very long shot but if he can make ISU as good as he has, he could do wonders at Iowa.

Mark Stoops would be 3rd on my list simply because he played at Iowa and maybe I could hold on to him for awhile if he was successful.

I have to include that I truly believe Barta would/will completely f up the hiring of KF's successor. Basically it will be Brian which could cause mass revolt among the fans because Iowa's offense is always so poor or a current MAC HC which will excite nobody. So its basically Brian is going to turn out to be a good coach or we depending on a blind squirrel to find a nut.
images
upload_2018-11-14_14-14-19.jpeg

Uncanny.

This isn't as crazy as it sounds. I think Stoops would also be a great guy to in effect "pick the next coach". What a great way around GarBar.

Something about the stain of coming from Ames ... On the other hand it would be fun to definitely prove to them that IOWA is a step up.

I think a good side bar to this thread is...what qualities are most important in the next hire?

I think understanding the IOWA program is important, especially when it comes to recruiting. So recruiting might be #1.

Personality #2, would be important. Iowans (and the East bankers) wouldn't tolerate a sleaze like Meyer or jerk like Bielema. (Bielema might get a pass from the fans initially since he carries the tatoo...but he just seems greasy)

Style of ball not so important. Can't imagine anything being less entertaining than Kirk's offense.

I think the Iowa job would be more appealing that lots of fans think.
Also doesn't hurt that Barta doesn't seem like a micro-manager.
(Do any ADs even micro-manage coaches?)

And I'm tired of the recruiting excuses.
People say shit like "Iowa will never be able to recruit like Bama or OSU. This is the best we can do".
Huh?
So it's either Iowa level recruiting, or Bama level?
Nothing in between?

Why do some fans have to take it to the extreme?
I'm not expecting to recruit like Bama, but I think there is something short of Bama level, and beyond Iowa's current level, that can be reached.

Part of the "fun" of this discussion is having somewhat realistic candidates. Chris Peterson would never come to Iowa. This makes no sense.

My pick - Jim Caldwell (please don't be Lovie Smith 2.0)

theoretical and realistic.

Chris Klieman - Ties to Iowa, very good results as a head coach. Match him up with Polasek again. I think he'd take the job in a minute with Iowa's facilities and patience with coaches.

If I'm AD, I offer Bob Stoops my job.

Definitely not a coach that is anyway shape of form associated with anything "Nebraska". It's extremely unfortunate that we suffer from anything "Ferentz".....I got nothing. I guess someone that knows how to win when you need a win, or hit the gas and never quit until the gun goes off .

Mike Leach. The guy has been able to win at Texas Tech and now Washington State. It would be interesting to see what he could do at a program like Iowa. Rick Neuheisel called his playbook the holy grail of playbooks. Plus, he was asked in a presser just a couple weeks ago his least favorite mascot and he listed a "Cyclone" among his least favorites or anything natural disaster related. A sign? To add to his resume, he put one of the worst beatings ever on Nebraska 70-10.

Last edited:
theoretical and realistic.

Chris Klieman - Ties to Iowa, very good results as a head coach. Match him up with Polasek again. I think he'd take the job in a minute with Iowa's facilities and patience with coaches.

Winner.

But maybe he's a little old to take on this job. We've only had 2 coaches in the past 40 years, so it's easy to think of every potential coach as a 20 year guy... My suggestion (Caldwell) is way older, but he's a different kind of candidate

A young offensive minded guy. That's where the trend is at and that is where the sport is heading.

People throw out the name David Raih and he would definitely check all the boxes at least on the surface.

Latest posts