who's your next head coach: a fun theoretical discussion

I'd spend most of the $7 million researching a way to clone Bear Bryant from a piece of DNA and then hire the clone.

Philbin, Caldwell, and Kliemann all sound like extremely realistic and palatable options. All have some Iowa ties, and are similarly respected and experienced.

Bob Stoops is a pipe dream because a) I truly believe he's "done" and wants to spend time with his family and b) I honestly don't think he'd be that much more successful. He had a lot of natural advantages at OU and still managed to have plenty of head-scratchers in his time.

Mark is an exciting prospect but I think he likes what he's doing at Kentucky.

Bielema- just no. Guy accomplished nothing outside of Madison, and can be an ass to boot.

How about Jay Norvell? Ex-Hawkeye player and GA under Fry. He has been an assistant at UNI, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Indianapolis Colts, Oakland Raiders, Nebraska, UCLA, Oklahoma, Texas and Arizona State. He is now head coach at Nevada. Plenty of experience. :)

How about Jay Norvell? Ex-Hawkeye player and GA under Fry. He has been an assistant at UNI, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Indianapolis Colts, Oakland Raiders, Nebraska, UCLA, Oklahoma, Texas and Arizona State. He is now head coach at Nevada. Plenty of experience. :)
Can we hire their basketball coach as well?

Can we hire their basketball coach as well?

animals-kitten-buy_one_get_one_free-2_for_1-special_offer-bargain-cwln4289_low.jpg

Winner.

But maybe he's a little old to take on this job. We've only had 2 coaches in the past 40 years, so it's easy to think of every potential coach as a 20 year guy... My suggestion (Caldwell) is way older, but he's a different kind of candidate

Yeah, but at 51, 10 good years out of Klieman is very doable, maybe more. (KFz is 63) That's a pretty good run and he could groom his successor.

Joe Philbin Offensive Coordinator of Green Bay.

From Wikipedia, about Philbin as Dolphins HC:

Reaction about the end of Philbin's tenure was met favorably by most fans and media alike, as Philbin's penchant for poor game management, play-calling, and timeout usage cost the Dolphins many games.

So he would be totally different than what we have now!

I think the Iowa job would be more appealing that lots of fans think.
Also doesn't hurt that Barta doesn't seem like a micro-manager.
(Do any ADs even micro-manage coaches?)

And I'm tired of the recruiting excuses.
People say shit like "Iowa will never be able to recruit like Bama or OSU. This is the best we can do".
Huh?
So it's either Iowa level recruiting, or Bama level?
Nothing in between?

Why do some fans have to take it to the extreme?
I'm not expecting to recruit like Bama, but I think there is something short of Bama level, and beyond Iowa's current level, that can be reached.
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...ach_big_ten_football_team_spends_on_recr.html

This could be a large part of the problem and why we are always in the bottom half of the conference. According to this article, Iowa is 12th in the conference in money spent on recruiting. With all the B1G money everyone gets, I see no reason why Iowa shouldn't be able to spend more. One monkey wrench in the numbers though....Wisconsin spends even less than we do. NW is not in there because they are private, so we are below everyone except Wisconsin. Wouldn't you think a school like Iowa that has further to go for talent would need to spend more?

Last edited:
Bob Stoops. Should still be here today. F-ing admin.

Campbell. What could he do at Iowa after what he has done at crappy ISU.

I like the Philbin idea.

I want an offensive minded coach that lets Phil Parker do his thing. Our defense would be so much better if the offense was better.

From Wikipedia, about Philbin as Dolphins HC:

Reaction about the end of Philbin's tenure was met favorably by most fans and media alike, as Philbin's penchant for poor game management, play-calling, and timeout usage cost the Dolphins many games.

So he would be totally different than what we have now!
Eh comparing the college game to the pro game is apples to oranges. Saban was terrible with the Dolphins too.

8 - 13 is a little low for me.

I like Jeff Tedford, Mike Leach, Mark Helfrich, and Luke Fickell. Mike Leach would be my first choice. He can coach, recruit, and he's just all out weird which would be a complete change of direction for Iowa.

Yeah, first couple years would be rough, but it would be nice to have a Texas connection again. If he could bring a defense with him, Hawks would be tough to contend with in the west.

Latest posts