who is your favorite Iowa Basketball Player of All Time??

I was lucky enough to see all of the 1970 home games in the Fieldhouse as a boy. That 1970 team was the best Iowa team I have ever seen, football or basketball.

I would rate the Big 4 right at the top: Chad Calabria, Glenn "the Stick" Vidnovic, Downtown Freddy Brown and JJ have to be in the Iowa BB hall of fame

I agree!

Guy Rucker became painful to watch. Mentally, he was a mess by his senior year. His confidence was just in shambles. I always felt for the guy because he had all the potential in the world...which is probably why he fell apart.

Edit: I just checked his stats and he didn't even play his senior year, which was '99-'00. Does anyone remember what happened there?

Transferred to Oakland...Oakland College?...Oakland University?...Oakland something to finish out his college career.

Transferred to Oakland...Oakland College?...Oakland University?...Oakland something to finish out his college career.

I believe that you're thinking of Courtney Scott. He transferred to Oakland.

Not sure what Rucker's issues were, but he left to play in some small professional basketball league before he used up his college eligibility.

734219bffd4d6c8dbeecfc1656fde04ae9cfce87.jpg

Speaking of Guy Rucker, I googled him and found out that almost pulled a Moonlight Graham. A few years after he left Iowa he played a total of 4 minutes for Golden State and his NBA career statistics are one rebound and one assist.

NBA.com: Guy Rucker Player Info

Lester
Stokes
BJ

My personal opinion is Ray Thompson would have been the most talented Hawk ever if he had been able to stay in school.

Steve Krafcisin was always a favorite of mine. Is he still the only guy to play in the Final Four for two different teams?

Bobby Hansen, Roy Marble, and James Winters were also favorites.

Speaking of Greg Stokes... I actually beat him 1-on-1

We had a class break at the same time on Tuesdays and Thursdays and frequented the Union game room. Played Space Invaders with Greg several times. Nice guy.

I believe that you're thinking of Courtney Scott. He transferred to Oakland.

Not sure what Rucker's issues were, but he left to play in some small professional basketball league before he used up his college eligibility.

Bingo. You are exactly right. Courtney Scott. I was disappointed when he left. I thought he had potential.

If we're only considering how much I enjoyed watching him play basketball, my favorite former Hawkeye is Pierre Pierce. If you consider the total package of his career and what he meant to the Hawks, my favorite player is Jess Settles.

I really liked Pierre also.....

Roy Marble and BJ were my faves until this guy came along......

Aaron_White30.jpg

Finally figured who he reminds me of: Dr. J.........

:D

Ronnie Lester. I've never seen a smoother point guard....it was almost as if he was gliding on ice. Deceptively quick and cool as a cucumber. A natural.

Without his knee injury, we win it all in 1980.

Fact or fiction? Definitely fact.

I really liked Pierre also.....

Roy Marble and BJ were my faves until this guy came along......

Aaron_White30.jpg

Finally figured who he reminds me of: Dr. J.........

:D

Could end up being true by the time it's all said and done. Love his little stride and head swaggering he does after a major slam. Lol, got a little kick out of Woodbury's little impersonation of White's swagger after his slam against ISU. Gonna be fun watching these guys playing together for the next couple of years. You can tell that they already have a sense of where this is all going.

We would have been National Champs......

The only other time after that was Mr. Davis's first year when we had the best team in America......

:)

Oh if Brad had just caught that last pass at the end of the game against UNLV and their towel sucking coach.

I was lucky enough to see all of the 1970 home games in the Fieldhouse as a boy. That 1970 team was the best Iowa team I have ever seen, football or basketball.

I would rate the Big 4 right at the top: Chad Calabria, Glenn "the Stick" Vidnovic, Downtown Freddy Brown and JJ have to be in the Iowa BB hall of fame

I bow down to you, sir. I am not worthy!

Latest posts