who is the most overrated star in the nba?

i know griffin is young and can still develop but guys that are annointed early dont always develop as well because they dont think they have to.

My vote is for Griffin. His jump shot is years away from being decent and his non-dunking post moves are pretty awkward right now. Hope he develops those things instead of waiting for a Chris Paul lob.

Melo is mostly overrated but at the end of a game he can get you a bucket, which Griffin can't do right now.

Russell Westbrook. I just don't understand why people think he's an elite point guard. Good to very good player? Sure. But he's not an elite point guard. Guys I'd take at the point over Westbrook:

Rondo
Paul
Parker
Deron Williams
Nash
Wall
Maybe Rubio (when healthy)

lol, this list is turrrrrible.

There is a reason Utah shipped Deron Williams out of town and the fact you have Wall and Rubio on this list almost make me think you are trolling. Nash is great but you would never take a 38 year old PG over a guy like Westbrook to build a team.

Last edited:
Rashard Lewis was the second highest paid player in the NBA last year (22 mil!), so he deserves to be on this list.

Big difference between overrated and overpaid. No one in the world thinks Rashard Lewis is good so its impossible for him to be overrated

#cmonghost

The only guy I'm taking on this list over Westbrook is Parker. To have a list of elite point guards and include Nash, Wall, and Rubio but not Rose, makes this list worthless.

That was just a complete brain fart on my part, forgetting Rose. But, as a point guard, just about all of those guys are better than Westbrook. He's a shooting guard stuck in a point guard's body. Still a very good player, but not a great point guard.

Westbrook is 23 years old and scored 37 points in L.A. last night. I don’t see what’s overrated about that. He’s not an assist guy like other typical point guards but he can score at will.

Which means he's not a point guard. Rose can score at will. So can Parker, Paul, and Rondo. Yet they still find the time to set their teammates up with great looks, too. Westbrook doesn't do that. He's a shooting guard playing point guard.

lol, this list is turrrrrible.

There is a reason Utah shipped Deron Williams out of town and the fact you have Wall and Rubio on this list almost make me think you are trolling. Nash is great but you would never take a 38 year old PG over a guy like Westbrook to build a team.

Who said anything about a guy to build a team around? That's not what this discussion is about. Nash may only have a few years left, but he's still lightyears better than Westbrook as a point guard right now. Westbrook isn't an elite point guard. Very good player, but not a point guard.

Which means he's not a point guard. Rose can score at will. So can Parker, Paul, and Rondo. Yet they still find the time to set their teammates up with great looks, too. Westbrook doesn't do that. He's a shooting guard playing point guard.

Who said anything about a guy to build a team around? That's not what this discussion is about. Nash may only have a few years left, but he's still lightyears better than Westbrook as a point guard right now. Westbrook isn't an elite point guard. Very good player, but not a point guard.

There is no prototypical player, for any given position, that is proven to be more successful than another. That is what makes sports so interesting. For example, Denard is not your typical QB. In fact, he is actually not that good at doing things "prototypical" QB's do. But he still plays that position, and does a helluva job.

Westbrook at point guard gives the Thunder their best chance of winning. He plays point guard, he is a point guard, he should be evaluated as a point guard. But again, not all point guards have to play the way YOU think they should play.

There is no prototypical player, for any given position, that is proven to be more successful than another. That is what makes sports so interesting. For example, Denard is not your typical QB. In fact, he is actually not that good at doing things "prototypical" QB's do. But he still plays that position, and does a helluva job.

Westbrook at point guard gives the Thunder their best chance of winning. He plays point guard, he is a point guard, he should be evaluated as a point guard. But again, not all point guards have to play the way YOU think they should play.

Like I said, he's a very good player. But he isn't a true point guard, and there are a lot of guys I would take over him as a point guard. Rondo, Rose, and Paul are in a class all their own.

As for Robinson, he's the classic "college QB". He won't amount to anything in the NFL as a QB.

Westbrook plays the point because 1. The Thunder have no better options, and 2. He's too short to play shooting guard. But he plays like a prototypical shooting guard. It's not like he's doing something revolutionary. He plays like a shooting guard. He's not anything special when it comes to setting up his teammates, which is the primary function of a point guard. There's a reason that people talk about Westbrook and Durant's games not really meshing. With a true point guard (thus allowing Westbrook to move over), OKC would likely be a much better team. And they're already good.

Like I said, he's a very good player. But he isn't a true point guard, and there are a lot of guys I would take over him as a point guard. Rondo, Rose, and Paul are in a class all their own.

As for Robinson, he's the classic "college QB". He won't amount to anything in the NFL as a QB.

Westbrook plays the point because 1. The Thunder have no better options, and 2. He's too short to play shooting guard. But he plays like a prototypical shooting guard. It's not like he's doing something revolutionary. He plays like a shooting guard. He's not anything special when it comes to setting up his teammates, which is the primary function of a point guard. There's a reason that people talk about Westbrook and Durant's games not really meshing. With a true point guard (thus allowing Westbrook to move over), OKC would likely be a much better team. And they're already good.

So he must be a true point guard not to be overrated? Westbrook is the top scoring PG in the NBA at 23 yrs old. More than D-Rose, CP3, any of the guys you had on that list. That alone overshadows any lack of assists he has. The Thunder’s roster is set up for guys to create for themselves anyway. I don’t care what position you play, 37 points in L.A. to basically clinch a playoff series is insane.

The Thunder are not set up for Westbrook to be a pass first point guard. There is no skilled big man that is an effective pick and pop player. Hell, there isn't even a skilled big man that is an effective pick and ROLL player. There is no spot up three point shooter. Furthermore, Durant doesn't need someone else to set him up. Like Kobe, he is capable of getting his own shot whenever and however he wants to. Maybe the reason Westbrook only averages 5.5 assists is because there isn't a way for him to consistently get assists on that team.

there is a really easy way for westbrook to get assists...pass to durant. durant takes less shots than westbrook and scores more. westbrook and durant are like lebron and wade their games dont mesh well. i like how the thunder play but the way they are put together they would be better if they had a rubio type (pass 1st) at pg and moved westbrook to the 2 spot. westbrook was a 2 in college moving him to point was a last minute thing because they didnt have a point guard. he does good enough there but he turns the ball over way too much. a pg that goes 10 pts and 10 assists just accounted for 30 pts...so dont undervalue the assist.

there is a really easy way for westbrook to get assists...pass to durant. durant takes less shots than westbrook and scores more. westbrook and durant are like lebron and wade their games dont mesh well. i like how the thunder play but the way they are put together they would be better if they had a rubio type (pass 1st) at pg and moved westbrook to the 2 spot. westbrook was a 2 in college moving him to point was a last minute thing because they didnt have a point guard. he does good enough there but he turns the ball over way too much. a pg that goes 10 pts and 10 assists just accounted for 30 pts...so dont undervalue the assist.

I've watched a lot of Thunder games and their games seem to mesh fine. He is a shoot 1st point guard but Durant has the mentality that allows another teammate to dominate the ball at times unlike D Wade/Bron who always seem to struggle with that dynamic. Durant may be unselfish to a fault but I think they play well together evidenced by them dominating the playoffs so far

No Championship ring Lebron James. I have yet to figure out how he is MVP of the NBA. MVP's win games at the end and lead their teams to championships. They are supposed to be the man on their teams and in the league. Lebron isn't any of these. He looks pretty tho. Michael, Kobe and others fit the above descriptions to a T. Lebron does not....Wade does perhaps?

lol at this. he's head and shoulders the man on his team and his team includes a hall of famer. lebron is twice the player mj was at this stage in his career.

Lebron is the most overrate until he wins a title. I am encouraged to see the Spurs playing well and have to cheer for Duncan to get his fifth ring to tie Kobe. Duncan, Parker and Genoble have all spent their entire careers with the spurs and that is more than enough reason to cheer for them this spring. As a Cavs fan, I can never forgive Ledick for his grandstanding. His behavior the night of "The Decision=" was like someone standing up at a funeral and screaming outloud that they just won the lottery. And for a Cavs fan, it certainly was a funeral.

the word butthurt is thrown around too loosely on this forum, but this post is literally the best example I've ever seen.

If Westbrook doesn't shoot, who will? Durant can't take 35 shots a game, and besides Harden there isn't anyone else. Westbrook and Durant mesh just fine.

This sums it up perfectly. Westbrook's A/TO ratio is 1.51, which is near the worst among qualified players (ranked 63rd of 73). Of the other players I listed, the closest to Westbrook is Wall, whose A/TO ratio is 2.08 (39th of 73).

Westbrook is a good player, but not a true point guard, and he doesn't stack up against many of the league's true points. He's a shooting guard who's playing the point out of necessity.

lebron is twice the player mj was at this stage in his career.
LOL - I nominate this for the dumbest non herby statement in HN historyMichael Jordan NBA & ABA Statistics | Basketball-Reference.comAfter 9 seasons MJ had 3 championships and 7 scoring titles. The only area they are even similar is they both had 3 MVP's in their 1st 9 years. Duffman is obviously stoned

AWESOME! Now tell me how many of these mj had by age 27. I'm guessing just one title and one mvp. I'll take lebron at age 27 and his 3 soon to be four mvps over mj any day.

Latest posts