Who Has the Better Coach: Iowa or Iowa State?

Using some of the same logic on here McCarney was a better coach thag Ferentz, he was what 5-3 against him.... head to head isnt the best way to determine best coach.

Using some of the same logic on here McCarney was a better coach thag Ferentz, he was what 5-3 against him.... head to head isnt the best way to determine best coach.

But it has to be considered. Cambell's best season is 8 wins, what Iowa fans want their coach fired for.

What do you think happens if Campbell ends up at ISU a decade plus?

I just can’t foresee Campbell being there 10 years, but if he did i see an 8-4 ceiling in Ames. Even saban couldn’t win 10 games a year at ISU.

36 degrees, rain and 35 mph NE wind for ISU vs Drake on Saturday. Over / under on number of fans in the stands??????????????? 5,000 be too many????????????

Campbell just won the Big 12 Coach of the Year for the second year in a row, and he's only been coaching there for 3 years. Here is what he took over:

2013: 3-9
2014: 2-10
2015: 3-9
2016: 3-9 (Campbell's first year)

Obviously, he took over one of the 5 worst programs in college football with the worst recruiting base and facilities in the Big 12, and managed to recruit stud WRs/RBs/QBs and win 8 games this year. They aren't great, but they had huge wins over top 10 ranked opponents in each of the past 3 years.

Ferentz, on the other hand, had the Hawks ranked for a portion of this year and had some good blow out wins against lesser teams. He is the longest tenured coach in college football and coached Iowa to its 4th year in a row with 8 or more wins. He struggles at bringing in flashy skill position players, but his defenses are always top 20, and he puts OL and TE in the NFL.

When it comes down to it, who is the best coach in Iowa? Neither coach recruits top 25 classes, so who does more with less? Honest question. But I'll predict before I "hit" post that by virtue of asking this very basic question some hillbilly on this board will accuse me of being a "cyclone lover."

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...-matt-campbell-iowa-state-coach-year-20181128

Counter arguments....

Has Campbell really recruited stud RB's and QBs?

RB: Mike Warren was before Campbell and basically a bust. Montgomery was a Campbell recruit and a stud, but a 3 star recruit with no decent offers that Campbell brought over from Toledo. Who else do they have at RB?

QB: Lanning was a Rhodes guy, Park was a bust and transferred, Zeb was a bust and transferred, Kempt got hurt and benched. Purdy seems good but has wilted down the stretch this year....however still only a freshman

WR: Yes, Iowa State has stud WR's. Worth pointing out that Lazard was a Rhodes guy and not a Campbell guy, and Butler was a 2-star fallback option.

What top 10 team has Iowa State beaten this year? None. Their best win is over #16 West Virginia. Thats their only ranked win of the year. They fell on their faces against Texas with a Big 12 Championship on the line. They wilted while facing good defenses all year (Iowa, TCU, Texas).

Campbell is currently .500 at Iowa State. He's never beaten Iowa.

Ferentz wins this debate in a landslide...for now.

Actually, West Virginia was ranked #6 in the nation when they lost to ISU 30-14.

Perhaps you prefer to cherry pick the rankings to the defeated team's post-loss ranking, which doesn't make sense. If it did, can't it also be said that Iowa never beat a top 5 opponents in years past, because as soon as Iowa beat them, they too fell in the rankings (i.e. Ohio State's drop last year after the Iowa loss, and Michigan's drop the year before)? Not a strong argument.

Then you support your argument that Campbell doesn't recruit stud skill position players compared with Ferentz's superior recruiting by naming guys that you acknowledge Campbell inherited from the previous coach and calling them busts? I'm not sure that's your best argument either. What does that have to do with Campbell's recruiting?

If you don't think Iowa State's 19 yr old true freshmen QB, who has led his cellar dweller team to a win over a top 10 opponent, a top 25 end of season ranking, and more grit under pressure than 22 year old Stanley is a "stud," then you must not have seen him play.

The running back Campbell recruited is objectively viewed as a stud by everyone in college football, and is pro football focus's #1 running back in college football. Perhaps you disagree? And I haven't even got to their WRs yet. All you have to do is look at 6'6 chiseled Hakeem Butler and wonder why on earth Ferentz hasn't been able to recruit someone like that in 20 years of coaching the Hawks. I'm sorry, but the guy is way more fun to watch than a tight end running a 5 yard crossing pattern. It also looks like Campbell recruited a 6'4 4**** WR out of Ohio last year who will fill Butler's shoes. Ferentz, on the other hand, has filled his holes at the WR position primarily with walk-ons from North and South Dakota. Is it a lack of effort or does Ferentz just prefer such WRs?

At the end of the day, Ferentz can pat himself on the back all day having good tight ends that play in the NFL...but they don't typically win football games like stud WRs do. There's a reason why most college teams barely use fullbacks and tight ends...because they have dynamic WRs and slot backs who they get the ball to regularly.

Counter arguments....

Has Campbell really recruited stud RB's and QBs?

RB: Mike Warren was before Campbell and basically a bust. Montgomery was a Campbell recruit and a stud, but a 3 star recruit with no decent offers that Campbell brought over from Toledo. Who else do they have at RB?

QB: Lanning was a Rhodes guy, Park was a bust and transferred, Zeb was a bust and transferred, Kempt got hurt and benched. Purdy seems good but has wilted down the stretch this year....however still only a freshman

WR: Yes, Iowa State has stud WR's. Worth pointing out that Lazard was a Rhodes guy and not a Campbell guy, and Butler was a 2-star fallback option.

What top 10 team has Iowa State beaten this year? None. Their best win is over #16 West Virginia. Thats their only ranked win of the year. They fell on their faces against Texas with a Big 12 Championship on the line. They wilted while facing good defenses all year (Iowa, TCU, Texas).

Campbell is currently .500 at Iowa State. He's never beaten Iowa.

Ferentz wins this debate in a landslide...for now.

Actually, West Virginia was ranked #6 in the nation when they lost to ISU 30-14.

Perhaps you prefer to cherry pick the rankings to the defeated team's post-loss ranking, which doesn't make sense. If it did, can't it also be said that Iowa never beat a top 5 opponents in years past, because as soon as Iowa beat them, they too fell in the rankings (i.e. Ohio State's drop last year after the Iowa loss, and Michigan's drop the year before)? Not a strong argument.

Then you support your argument that Campbell doesn't recruit stud skill position players compared with Ferentz's superior recruiting by naming guys that you acknowledge Campbell inherited from the previous coach and calling them busts? I'm not sure that's your best argument either. What does that have to do with Campbell's recruiting?

If you don't think Iowa State's 19 yr old true freshmen QB, who has led his cellar dweller team to a win over a top 10 opponent, a top 25 end of season ranking, and more grit under pressure than 22 year old Stanley is a "stud," then you must not have seen him play.

The running back Campbell recruited is objectively viewed as a stud by everyone in college football, and is pro football focus's #1 running back in college football. Perhaps you disagree? And I haven't even got to their WRs yet. All you have to do is look at 6'6 chiseled Hakeem Butler and wonder why on earth Ferentz hasn't been able to recruit someone like that in 20 years of coaching the Hawks. I'm sorry, but the guy is way more fun to watch than a tight end running a 5 yard crossing pattern. It also looks like Campbell recruited a 6'4 4**** WR out of Ohio last year who will fill Butler's shoes. Ferentz, on the other hand, has filled his holes at the WR position primarily with walk-ons from North and South Dakota. Is it a lack of effort or does Ferentz just prefer such WRs?

At the end of the day, Ferentz can pat himself on the back all day having good tight ends that play in the NFL...but they don't typically win football games like stud WRs do. There's a reason why most college teams barely use fullbacks and tight ends...because they have dynamic WRs and slot backs who they get the ball to regularly.

The ranking at the time...especially early in the season...does not matter. That's why the CFP rankings dont even come out until week 10. Wiconsin was ranked in the top 10 to begin the season. So did Minnesota just knock off a top 10 team or were the early rankings just way off?

I didn't compare Campbells recruiting to Ferentz at all...I just pointed out that Campbell hasn't really recruited the studs you might argue he has. Montgomery is a stud. I literally said that in my post. He wasn't recruited at all though, he followed Campbell from Toledo. You could argue he was a diamond in the rough or Campbell developed him into a stud...either are possible. But lets not pretend Campbell tore a 5 star RB away from Bama

What good did Montgomery and Campbells stud WR's do this year against Iowa, TCU and Texas? Almost nothing. Montgomery had 17 carries for 44 yards against Iowa...10 carries for 33 yards vs Texas. Butler had 3 catches for 33 yards against Iowa.

To use your logic in reverse...Why doesn't Campbell recruit decent lineman? Is it a lack of effort or does Campbell just prefer such crappy lines?

Also...

2018 NFL Draft: Ferentz 3, Campbell 0
2017 NFL Draft: Ferentz 4, Campbell 0
2016 NFL Draft: Ferentz 1, Campbell 0

UNI has had 2 more NFL draft picks than Campbell has at Iowa State.

Also...

2018 NFL Draft: Ferentz 3, Campbell 0
2017 NFL Draft: Ferentz 4, Campbell 0
2016 NFL Draft: Ferentz 1, Campbell 0

UNI has had 2 more NFL draft picks than Campbell has at Iowa State.

Yea development and so far recruiting can't be argued. I think the only thing that's fair to argue is who is a better gameday coach. When he has a less talented squad performing as well as they did, it's impressive. But now that they got some recognition, it'll be interesting to see if they can keep it up next year. Too early to really say.

Yea development and so far recruiting can't be argued. I think the only thing that's fair to argue is who is a better gameday coach. When he has a less talented squad performing as well as they did, it's impressive. But now that they got some recognition, it'll be interesting to see if they can keep it up next year. Too early to really say.

Which was basically my point. Its way too early to decide anything definitive, but for now Ferentz coaching at Iowa has run circles around Campbell at Iowa State. 5 years from now we could be singing a different tune but for now thats just a fact.

I think a part of what you're seeing in FB & BB between UI recruiting and ISU recruiting is that ISU is willing to take on more character risk with their candidates. I never used to hear about "fit" in earlier years with Kirk but now that seems to be a dominant core component. Maybe getting burned with some characters (and their effect on the team) over the years might be a contributor to this thinking. Kirk sees that as a potential disruptive element to the culture he wants or chooses to manage?

At one point recently (or currently?) I think ISU had 6 guys on suspension between their FB & BB programs. More of a whatever it takes approach to winning (and what comes with it) with these athletic programs.

To use your logic in reverse...Why doesn't Campbell recruit decent lineman? Is it a lack of effort or does Campbell just prefer such crappy lines?

Yep. That’s how ya do it

giphy.gif

Purdy has been impressive, but he's not really being challenged much.

He's faced OSU (#98 in total defense), WVU (75), TTU (110), Kansas (81), Baylor (79), and Kansas State (73). Texas, who has the second best D in the Big 12, still has the #63 total defense in the nation, and they completely shut that offense down. He's feasting on patsies and throwing jump balls to Butler, but again, when they face a defense (and particularly a defensive line) with a pulse, they shit the bed.

Don't let the annual Cyclone QB Cult fool you, he's very much human.

I can only imagine if Campbell is so much better as some people are insinuating, he will have Iowa State in a BCS game next year.

When you get down to the bottom it's a young, hungry coach trying to build something, and a old veteran coach who at times seems comfortable with what he has.
Both teams finished with the same record, so does that make them even? Or is Campbell working with less talent make him better?

I want Iowa to find that fiery young coach trying to make a name.

Latest posts