Who Has the Better Coach: Iowa or Iowa State?

So since I answered your question, when are you going to answer mine? Iowa loves to brag about its tight ends while the position is an afterthought at most schools. My position is Iowa uses its tight ends simply because it doesnt have any WRs who can catch the ball. Why has it been a decade since the Hawks had a WR who would start at any other Big 10 school? Why do we continue to start small-town walk ons at the most explosive position in football?

The staff knows WR is our weak spot...wouldn't you think at least one of the highly paid assistants could go out and made WR a priority? Sure, it might cut down on the tight end numbers...but it might also give us at least 1 WR in the top 50 in the Big 10.
An afterthought at most schools.

Despite every all American team listing a TE.

Despite every all conference team listing a TE.

Despite the NFL using 2 and 3 TEs on the regular.

Despite there being literally multiple awards given to the top TEs in the country.

Ladies and gentlemen, IowaLaw.

Someone started a new thread about the Drake coach vs the ISU coach and low and behold, the resident Clown Law fan crawls out of the woodwork to take more backhanded swipes at Iowa. Like clockwork.

Remember when Kirk did the same this this year? It was 4th and 9, a close game, and he inexplicably brings in the backup QB for his first meaningful snap of the season on a designed pass to...none other than fleet footed Nate Stanley, who Ferentz had run out wide like a WR (while Fant was on the bench)? The play went for no gain and we lost the game. Possibly the dumbest, most illogical, play call in college football season this year.

To be fair, the moron started that drive with some kind of wildcat bullshit with his all-world QB watching from the sidelines.

Remember when Kirk did the same this this year? It was 4th and 9, a close game, and he inexplicably brings in the backup QB for his first meaningful snap of the season on a designed pass to...none other than fleet footed Nate Stanley, who Ferentz had run out wide like a WR (while Fant was on the bench)? The play went for no gain and we lost the game. Possibly the dumbest, most illogical, play call in college football season this year.
Literally anything happens.

IowaLaw: "but kirk?!!?

Also, not even CLOSE. Iowa's was a 4th and 9 at the end of the half in PSU territory, when up 3. While it was stupid, it actually almost worked had Mansell seen Hockenson, or punted like he was told to.

Georgia's was with minutes left in the SEC Championship game, after Bama had scored 21 unanswered to tie it up, and left their defense on the field, expecting a fake.

Wrong again.

Actually, West Virginia was ranked #6 in the nation when they lost to ISU 30-14.

Perhaps you prefer to cherry pick the rankings to the defeated team's post-loss ranking, which doesn't make sense. If it did, can't it also be said that Iowa never beat a top 5 opponents in years past, because as soon as Iowa beat them, they too fell in the rankings (i.e. Ohio State's drop last year after the Iowa loss, and Michigan's drop the year before)? Not a strong argument.

Then you support your argument that Campbell doesn't recruit stud skill position players compared with Ferentz's superior recruiting by naming guys that you acknowledge Campbell inherited from the previous coach and calling them busts? I'm not sure that's your best argument either. What does that have to do with Campbell's recruiting?

If you don't think Iowa State's 19 yr old true freshmen QB, who has led his cellar dweller team to a win over a top 10 opponent, a top 25 end of season ranking, and more grit under pressure than 22 year old Stanley is a "stud," then you must not have seen him play.

The running back Campbell recruited is objectively viewed as a stud by everyone in college football, and is pro football focus's #1 running back in college football. Perhaps you disagree? And I haven't even got to their WRs yet. All you have to do is look at 6'6 chiseled Hakeem Butler and wonder why on earth Ferentz hasn't been able to recruit someone like that in 20 years of coaching the Hawks. I'm sorry, but the guy is way more fun to watch than a tight end running a 5 yard crossing pattern. It also looks like Campbell recruited a 6'4 4**** WR out of Ohio last year who will fill Butler's shoes. Ferentz, on the other hand, has filled his holes at the WR position primarily with walk-ons from North and South Dakota. Is it a lack of effort or does Ferentz just prefer such WRs?

At the end of the day, Ferentz can pat himself on the back all day having good tight ends that play in the NFL...but they don't typically win football games like stud WRs do. There's a reason why most college teams barely use fullbacks and tight ends...because they have dynamic WRs and slot backs who they get the ball to regularly.

I actually think Iowa has a stud WR on the roster. His name is Brandon Smith.

Ferentz has won 10 or more games 5 times in 20 seasons (25%).

Campbell is 0 for 3, and counting.

Ferentz has been to 3 "New Year's Six" games.

Campbell: zero.

Call me when Campbell does one or the other. Otherwise , forget it.

I'll take a stab at this because you served it up so nicely: are you ready? Iowa State ranked #1 in the Big 12 in rushing defense this year. Opponents averaged just 3.3 yards per carry against them. Mic drop. Does that answer your question? You should probably know something about a team before commenting on them.

The oldest DL recruit Campbell could have brought in this year is a redshirt sophomore. As college football fans know, OL and DL generally take the longest to develop and grow. My guess is Campbell's DL will continue to be near the top of the Big 12 in future years given his brand of football.

So since I answered your question, when are you going to answer mine? Iowa loves to brag about its tight ends while the position is an afterthought at most schools. My position is Iowa uses its tight ends simply because it doesnt have any WRs who can catch the ball. Why has it been a decade since the Hawks had a WR who would start at any other Big 10 school? Why do we continue to start small-town walk ons at the most explosive position in football?

The staff knows WR is our weak spot...wouldn't you think at least one of the highly paid assistants could go out and made WR a priority? Sure, it might cut down on the tight end numbers...but it might also give us at least 1 WR in the top 50 in the Big 10.
You are spot on with the tight end/receiver comment. This staff flat out sucks at recruiting receivers and values their worth only as blickers. It is really bizarre. I’m quite tired of it. Also, for a team that values the run so much, we rarely get gamebreaking backs. More power backs so kf can drive it methodically. Another annoying kf trait

You have to hand it to ISU's athletic director. Campbell goes 8-4 in year 3 of a mega-rebuilding project. Schools were sniffing around. If it were Barta, he'd immediately double Campbell's pay, give him a 10 year extension, and hire Campbell's wife as a secretary for $100,000 per year.

ISU, on the other hand, gave Campbell a 2 year extension, no raise, and $1M to distribute among his assistant coaches. Plus, if Campbell bolts to another school, that school owes ISU $7,000,000 in buyout. Barta, on the other hand, had never even read a contract before Kirk, and has no buyout language.

I would say Campbell's season was deserving of more than that, but I guess their AD realizes that you don't need to double a coach's salary every time he has a good season because he's not going anywhere anyway.

You have to hand it to ISU's athletic director. Campbell goes 8-4 in year 3 of a mega-rebuilding project. Schools were sniffing around. If it were Barta, he'd immediately double Campbell's pay, give him a 10 year extension, and hire Campbell's wife as a secretary for $100,000 per year.

ISU, on the other hand, gave Campbell a 2 year extension, no raise, and $1M to distribute among his assistant coaches. Plus, if Campbell bolts to another school, that school owes ISU $7,000,000 in buyout. Barta, on the other hand, had never even read a contract before Kirk, and has no buyout language.

I would say Campbell's season was deserving of more than that, but I guess their AD realizes that you don't need to double a coach's salary every time he has a good season because he's not going anywhere anyway.

His buyout decreases 1 mill every February. So come Feb 1st his buyout drops to $6M

This new contract changes nothing as far as Campbell staying or leaving. In all likelihood Campbell accepted an extension while demanding the parameters of his buyout doesn't change. Read into that what you will

Here's what I "have to hand" to ISU's athletic director. The dude is a jerk of the utmost degree. His kids go to Gilbert HS (just north of Ames) and he's been kicked out of at least three high school gyms permanently because of his behavior. That plus no one from Gilbert will sit with him at the gyms he can go to.

Here's what I "have to hand" to ISU's athletic director. The dude is a jerk of the utmost degree. His kids go to Gilbert HS (just north of Ames) and he's been kicked out of at least three high school gyms permanently because of his behavior. That plus no one from Gilbert will sit with him at the gyms he can go to.
He's a whiny, underachieving buffon. Which makes him perfect for Iowa State. He pushed out the winningest football coach in school history for the likes of Gene Chizik and Paul Rhoads, nearly destroyed their once great wrestling program, and dismantled their baseball program. He lucked into the Hoiberg hire. The only success he's had is Campbell, who could leave very soon.