Who Has the Better Coach: Iowa or Iowa State?

Brian's logic appears much like that of his namesake.

To judge a young coach 3 years into rebuilding a doormat program (while stuck with the previous coach's players) based on his head to head record against a long established coach at a historic program who has been there for 20 years defies all common sense. That's like saying Ron Turner from Illinois is a better coach than Ferentz because he was 2-0 against Ferentz in 1999 and 2000. Same with Western Michigan's coach (a guy named Gary Darnell), clearly better than Kirk and destined for the hall of fame solely because his Broncos beat up on Kirk in 2000.

The fact is, Vince Lombardi could have coached Iowa in 1999 or Iowa State in 2016 and still would have lost 8 games. That has no bearing on his merit as a coach.

But hey, Scott Frost is 0-1 against Troy...clearly Troy's got the better coach.
Troy is 30-8 since 2016, with wins over multiple P5 teams including the first nonconference team to walk out of Death Valley in Baton Rouge with a W on in nearly 20 years.

Yeah, they do have a better coach.

Campbell just won the Big 12 Coach of the Year for the second year in a row, and he's only been coaching there for 3 years. Here is what he took over:

2013: 3-9
2014: 2-10
2015: 3-9
2016: 3-9 (Campbell's first year)

Obviously, he took over one of the 5 worst programs in college football with the worst recruiting base and facilities in the Big 12, and managed to recruit stud WRs/RBs/QBs and win 8 games this year. They aren't great, but they had huge wins over top 10 ranked opponents in each of the past 3 years.

Ferentz, on the other hand, had the Hawks ranked for a portion of this year and had some good blow out wins against lesser teams. He is the longest tenured coach in college football and coached Iowa to its 4th year in a row with 8 or more wins. He struggles at bringing in flashy skill position players, but his defenses are always top 20, and he puts OL and TE in the NFL.

When it comes down to it, who is the best coach in Iowa? Neither coach recruits top 25 classes, so who does more with less? Honest question. But I'll predict before I "hit" post that by virtue of asking this very basic question some hillbilly on this board will accuse me of being a "cyclone lover."

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...-matt-campbell-iowa-state-coach-year-20181128

Head to head:
Ferentz 3
Campbell 0

Until Campbell beats him, Ferentz is better.

You do realize iowa has one win over a winning team...right? And I won’t even mention the record of the b10 teams we beat. Something like 12-38 or such. For iowa to poke fun at anyone else’s win is comical
Wrong, Bozo.
Northern Illinois, ISU and UNI all have winning records. I believe that is 3.

If KF is coaching at Iowa St I think they're a 5-7, 6-6 type of team. Their best playmaker, Butler, would be blocker in Kirk's offense.

If Campbell was Iowa's coach, I think they're probably 10-2 this season.

I have a ton of respect for Ferentz. Some Iowa fans will bristle at this, but I honestly think Iowa can't do better than him, and that a school like ISU would be dang lucky to have him as a coach. I'd be really happy with either one honestly. The fact is though that Campbell probably isn't long for ISU. Like Hoiberg, he's talked glowingly about the NFL. His name is going to be mentioned with a lot of bigger programs.

Campbell isn't perfect though, and in fact I can think of several mistakes he made this year. They both do a really good job. Who is better? Tough to say, because the circumstances aren't the same.

Les Miles is going to be taking over at KU. They're probably going to get their butts kicked for a bit and maybe longer if there are any transfers. Les Miles didn't become a worse coach the moment he took the KU job... that job just sucks.
I'd say that's a very fair take. While I wouldn't take Campbell over KF, it's because I don't think his scheme is very well suited to the Big Ten, and vice versa with KF.

As for Miles, I'm not sold. He's basically a wilder KF, with a little more flair in risk taking, but possibly even worse clock management. If he can get a legit OC, he might be okay, but Kansas is a black hole still, and his offenses at LSU grew stagnant in his later years.

If KF is coaching at Iowa St I think they're a 5-7, 6-6 type of team. Their best playmaker, Butler, would be blocker in Kirk's offense.

Apples to oranges comparison. With their current roster I agree, but he would be recruiting very different players. If Campbell had the same bad bounces at Iowa this year he also could have been 8-4 as well. Northwestern was on the coaches. The other losses could have gone the other way very easily.

In 20 years Campbell will have the better career than Ferentz, but at the moment and for the near future Ferentz will dominate. Kirk and his staff play the state of Iowa football game better. If Campbell ends up at at Ohio state or a power program he’ll fly by Ferentz. As long as it’s an ISU/Iowa situation, Kirk will stay ahead.

Reactions: trj

This post is a scary truth. The question is could Campbell’s staff have developed Iowa lightly recruited players into legit players like hooker, the nelsons or Iowa guards or render.

Butler was a similar situation as Josey Jewell. Last minute add from losing another player. And Lou Anyie had to break Rhoads arm to get him to offer.

Montgomery committed to Toledo, came over with Campbell

Lazard is similar to Weiskamp (Basketball) legacy commit

OK, so where do you get that Weiskamp is a legacy commit to Iowa? His mom went to Wartburg and his dad went to UNI (did get his Masters of Physical Therapy at Iowa). I've known Steve since he was in high school and while he was a Hawkeye fan, he was never on the radar for them as a player and Iowa was never on his radar for undergrad.

Correct! But does that get us wins? Hesse plays, someone off o-line ect ect.Hooker be good.Others also. BUT wins here? 9wins These days "lightning in bottle" Lucky NFL..
A few wins, per year. We recruit like a 5 to 7 win team. But results are 6 to 8 win team.

You do realize iowa has one win over a winning team...right? And I won’t even mention the record of the b10 teams we beat. Something like 12-38 or such. For iowa to poke fun at anyone else’s win is comical

Yes...and...Iowa beat ISU. In a "throttling" sort of way. Totally shut them down. How could Campbell be better than KF if he hasn't beaten him?

Yes...and...Iowa beat ISU. In a "throttling" sort of way. Totally shut them down. How could Campbell be better than KF if he hasn't beaten him?

Look im an iowa fan, but iowa didnt throttle state this year. Hope your thinking of last year.

Head to head:
Ferentz 3
Campbell 0

Until Campbell beats him, Ferentz is better.
Wrong. Ferentz has resources that dwarf campbells by a wide wide margin. Ferentz has had 20 yrs to build his mediocrity perch. Campbell will start to embarrass him annually next year

In 20 years Campbell will have the better career than Ferentz, but at the moment and for the near future Ferentz will dominate. Kirk and his staff play the state of Iowa football game better. If Campbell ends up at at Ohio state or a power program he’ll fly by Ferentz. As long as it’s an ISU/Iowa situation, Kirk will stay ahead.

What do you think happens if Campbell ends up at ISU a decade plus?

US History and secondary education

66 percent of millennials don't know what Auschwitz was. 22 percent have never heard of the Holocaust.

!!!!!

So when you're actually teaching, you might want to work that one in there. No pressure, but the future not repeating the past is up to you.

Good luck.

OK, so where do you get that Weiskamp is a legacy commit to Iowa? His mom went to Wartburg and his dad went to UNI (did get his Masters of Physical Therapy at Iowa). I've known Steve since he was in high school and while he was a Hawkeye fan, he was never on the radar for them as a player and Iowa was never on his radar for undergrad.

Lazard was Legacy commit, he was going to be a cyclone. Weiskamp Not a legacy (bad terminology) however he was always a Hawkeye. Go Kohawks :)