When was I or were you this down on Hawk bball?

I'll tell him straight to his face. I'll call you and Gutless Gary anything I want to your faces. If you or Gutless doesn't like it and you are feeling froggy...go ahead and jump.

I want to know why Gary is "gutless". Is it "gutless" to sign the two coaches of the two sports that financially carry the entire athletic department and that the big money boosters are clearly happy with to long-term contracts? Is it "gutless" to want to have stability in your two "cash cows" with two coaches who appear to be high-character guys? He surely knew he would face a lot of criticism for those contracts and their buyouts (as he has from you, lightning1, and others) and he did it anyway; is that "gutless"?

I emailed Fran a couple of times, though it's been maybe 3 years since I sent the last one. He himself replied to the first one, or at least it was addressed it as if it was from Fran himself. I did get the feeling a staff member replied to the second one.

Of course, they were positive emails so they were much more likely to be returned.
I'd hate to be a P5 head coach in basketball or football coach and try to sift through any amount of email. It would just be impossible and would be horrible time management. Nowadays coaching doesn't really have an offseason and I'd imagine those guys are probably non-stop from the time they leave the house in the morning until they get home at night. If I were at that level in a career the first thing I'd do is delegate someone to filter emails and only give me anything that is mission critical.

A friend of mine from high school worked his way up to be a regional HR manager for Home Depot has a triple digit number of stores he's responsible for, and everyone under him gets told that they're to strictly use text messages to contact him with day-to-day stuff--no email. He's a no-bullshit guy and I remembering him telling me something to the effect that he doesn't have time to read a hundred emails a day, and that his people better be brief enough to get their point across in 140 characters. Obviously now you can type more than that but he basically says you to get to the point with no extraneous BS or you won't be working under him for long. I kinda see his point.

Last edited:
I want to know why Gary is "gutless". Is it "gutless" to sign the two coaches of the two sports that financially carry the entire athletic department and that the big money boosters are clearly happy with to long-term contracts? Is it "gutless" to want to have stability in your two "cash cows" with two coaches who appear to be high-character guys? He surely knew he would face a lot of criticism for those contracts and their buyouts (as he has from you, lightning1, and others) and he did it anyway; is that "gutless"?
Look no further than Barry Alvarez. He has expectations, and if you don't meet them you're held accountable.

Barta gives out contract extensions instead of accountability. That's gutless.

If you want "high-character guys" and that's your only criteria for being a B1G coach regardless of W/L record, then you'd be better off starting up a rec basketball league made up of the pastors in whatever town you're from. You could have a draft and everything.

These guys aren't POTUS. You can find them at just most any Iowa sporting event, dozens of I Club gatherings a year or probably just anywhere in IC on a daily basis. None of you would say a bad word to Fran or Barta otherwise, what's stopping ya? Just face the fact that you're all pussies :)
Put your Josh Brown away before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Look no further than Barry Alvarez. He has expectations, and if you don't meet them you're held accountable.

Barta gives out contract extensions instead of accountability. That's gutless.

If you want "high-character guys" and that's your only criteria for being a B1G coach regardless of W/L record, then you'd be better off starting up a rec basketball league made up of the pastors in whatever town you're from. You could have a draft and everything.

Barry Alvarez hasn't had to fire any big time coaches. BB left, Anderson... left - Ryan, retired. That's a horrible take buddy.

These guys aren't POTUS. You can find them at just most any Iowa sporting event, dozens of I Club gatherings a year or probably just anywhere in IC on a daily basis. None of you would say a bad word to Fran or Barta otherwise, what's stopping ya? Just face the fact that you're all pussies :)
And you're a sexist pig, Gary. :)

Yeah, cuz injuries aren't a normal thing for every team...

giphy.gif

That is correct. Injuries ARE a normal thing for every team. But not every team loses it's backup point guard to transfer just before the season, loses it's third point guard to two different causes (ankle / mono) and ended up having to play it's starting point guard (who was recovering from plantar fasciitis) more minutes than planned and had to move a shooting guard with almost no point guard experience in his life to backup point guard.

Many on here talk about how important a good point guard is to a team, which is true. But many on here refuse to see that our point guard position was decimated by injury last year. If defense starts with the point guard, how can an injured point guard (foot injury, mind you) and a backup who never played point guard be our starting place?

That is correct. Injuries ARE a normal thing for every team. But not every team loses it's backup point guard to transfer just before the season, loses it's third point guard to two different causes (ankle / mono) and ended up having to play it's starting point guard (who was recovering from plantar fasciitis) more minutes than planned and had to move a shooting guard with almost no point guard experience in his life to backup point guard.

Many on here talk about how important a good point guard is to a team, which is true. But many on here refuse to see that our point guard position was decimated by injury last year. If defense starts with the point guard, how can an injured point guard (foot injury, mind you) and a backup who never played point guard be our starting place?
itsitsinfo.gif

Also....

giphy.gif

Well you should have been at the Iowa baseball game Friday night because Fran and wife and younger kids were there in the stands. You could have just screamed at him right there and most likely many of the other fans around would have come over and dragged your a@@ right out of there.
I'm not out running around looking for Fran McCaffery or anyone else. Why on Earth would I be? If I happen to be sharing my less than satisfied opinion of Fran's work and Fran walks up behind me, I'm not going to apologize or alter what I have said or would say. I offer my opinion in context to the topics at hand, in a forum that's meant for that very thing. I ignore Fran, Gutless Gary, KF and pretty much everyone else associated with Iowa sports, when I see them out in public. I never once thought about running up to them to share my opinion. If they came up to me and asked my opinion, I'd give them exactly what they asked for.

I'm not a Barta fan but, were I he and some unhinged guy is sending me emails perhaps laced with profanities, I might not respond to him either.

Perhaps he was spinning and making things look as rosy as possible but didn't feel like he was lying.
He was telling a lie. End of story. If you make a statement knowing that it's false...it's a lie. You can call it whatever you want. I don't let my kids get away with it, why would I let Gutless Gary?

Lol @ gutless lightning, can people names on forums all day but gets sad and ignores as soon as somebody gives him shit back.

4a3c3e9ddb89babe1ae32689dd958171.jpg

I hate Barta just as much or more than you do, but I guarantee you, with 100% certainty, that he's never seen nor read one of your emails. Those addresses are monitored by athletic department staff and messages from anyone not in his personal contact list, especially mad fans, goes straight to the trash folder. Same thing with Ferentz, McCafferey, Brands, and on down the line. Hate to break it to you.

And yes, I do know that for a fact. A salesperson we hired two years ago interned and then worked in the AD before coming here; her desk is 10' from my office. Any message from you that makes its way to Barta had to be something that a staffer thought was important enough to flag for him to read. I showed her this thread and she literally giggled out loud. She said emails from upset fans going off the rails were ignored and "archived" (apparently nothing gets deleted for a period of time that she didn't know, for liability purposes?). She did say you might get through to Brands, Heller or other "less-major" sports coaches depending on the time of year or their schedules at the time. Any emails going completely bonkers with profanity, etc. usually get the addresses blocked. None of these are my words.

So you can probably stop being mad about Barta not responding because he never saw your emails. And really, do you actually envision Barta, or Ferentz, or any other P5 administrator or coach sitting at a desk answering emails from disgruntled fans? It just doesn't happen. They have way better shit to do.

You can still be mad about him being a shitty jellyfish AD, though.
The response in question came from this email address: gary-barta@hawkeyesports.com.
If some underling sent those lies under his name, it's no different. If a representative of my company uses company name/email address to tell lies, I'm responsible for that empoyee/representative. Of course, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that Gutless Gary's email staff is equally as incompetent as the coaches he's hired. Reason # 387000 why he needs to kicks rocks.

So easy to say since you will never get the chance.

Wait, you could go to an I-Club event that he is at and call him that in front of a crowd with a mic in your hands. But you wouldn’t do that because then everyone could see who you are and you would look like the immature person that you have exposed yourself as on this forum.
If you had any courage, you'd understand what I'm talking about. But you don't. Because you expect others to behave exactly like you would. That tells me all I need to know about you.

Barry Alvarez hasn't had to fire any big time coaches. BB left, Anderson... left - Ryan, retired. That's a horrible take buddy.
So, if I’m reading your post correctly, you’re saying Barry Alvarez wouldn’t fire a “big time” coach and would grant extensions instead? Because it’s no secret that Alvarez has high expectations for his football coaches. Could it be that BA knows what to look for in coaches, as well as having deep knowledge of the sport, something GB lacks?

I'm not a Barta fan but, were I he and some unhinged guy is sending me emails perhaps laced with profanities, I might not respond to him either.

Perhaps he was spinning and making things look as rosy as possible but didn't feel like he was lying.
My original email was not "unhinged". I simply wanted to know why I was spending $10,000 a year on Iowa athletics, only to be treated like a criminal at the tailgate. Not an unreasonable or unhinged email, as far as I'm concerned. He responded with a LIE! That's on him. Or whoever sent that lie in his name.

So, if I’m reading your post correctly, you’re saying Barry Alvarez wouldn’t fire a “big time” coach and would grant extensions instead? Because it’s no secret that Alvarez has high expectations for his football coaches. Could it be that BA knows what to look for in coaches, as well as having deep knowledge of the sport, something GB lacks?
Lol. Not sure who you are responding to (because I have them on ignore for a good reason). If that's what one of these guys is saying, he's dumber than I thought.

Lots of reasons. Too many to list.We don't have "stability" in our two cash cow programs. We have declining season ticket sales in both sports. Look at the numbers. Look at the avg season ticket sales for the 10 years before Gutless Gary showed up and the numbers since.

I'd hate to be a P5 head coach in basketball or football coach and try to sift through any amount of email. It would just be impossible and would be horrible time management. Nowadays coaching doesn't really have an offseason and I'd imagine those guys are probably non-stop from the time they leave the house in the morning until they get home at night. If I were at that level in a career the first thing I'd do is delegate someone to filter emails and only give me anything that is mission critical.

A friend of mine from high school worked his way up to be a regional HR manager for Home Depot has a triple digit number of stores he's responsible for, and everyone under him gets told that they're to strictly use text messages to contact him with day-to-day stuff--no email. He's a no-bullshit guy and I remembering him telling me something to the effect that he doesn't have time to read a hundred emails a day, and that his people better be brief enough to get their point across in 140 characters. Obviously now you can type more than that but he basically says you to get to the point with no extraneous BS or you won't be working under him for long. I kinda see his point.
I have only ever emailed 1 Iowa coach, in my entire life. That was Doyle. And it was unrelated to his football related duties.