When was I or were you this down on Hawk bball?

Everyone is fighting a battle that we know nothing about. It is not an excuse to be a prick.

Because you did the exact same thing right? LOL. Why is everyone else held to such a higher standard of proof than you? That's your biggest problem. You want everyone to accept everything as fact with little to no proof but require everyone else to prove their statements. When they do you just shrug them off as wrong. Complete arrogance.

FIFY

Little advice

A). Direct correlation must be proven by statistical analysis
B). Correlation does not mean causation

You made the claim that attendance is down because of Barta because you want to believe it yet did nothing to support it. Somebody posted a counter point with ACTUAL DATA to support it and you blast it saying that he has to prove it. You're like all the fucking political shills on Facebook. As soon as somebody posts something counter to a claim (WITH EVIDENCE) the person says something to the effect of "You're Wrong" and leaves/ignores without ever trying to see from their perspective. People like you are exactly why we can't have adult debates. Too many GD childish people.
Calling someone a prick is a pretty strong statement. Are you sure you want to go there? Obviously so since you posted it.

I've had adult debates with lightning, gold, 87 and many others. Again, it's not nuclear physics. You respect people and it's not hard to get respect back, even when the other poster disagrees with you.

I see people all the time say Wisconsin is good because they have an AD that demands success. You're right. It's a terrible take. Alvarez may be really good at finding excellence, but the only time he has had to prove he demands it was the example you gave, and he did just the opposite of demand it.
Alvarez demanded excellence the moment he set foot in Madison. The first thing he did, before he even went on his first recruiting trip, was order the carpeting to be replaced in the football offices and ban smoking by the secretaries. Boy did that piss some people off. But Wisconsin at the time wasn't used to having people like Alvarez running the ship either. At his first staff meeting, he ordered his assistants to put their previous bowl rings away until they went to one on their own. Barry included himself in that order

Everyone is fighting a battle that we know nothing about. It is not an excuse to be a prick.

Because you did the exact same thing right? LOL. Why is everyone else held to such a higher standard of proof than you? That's your biggest problem. You want everyone to accept everything as fact with little to no proof but require everyone else to prove their statements. When they do you just shrug them off as wrong. Complete arrogance.

FIFY

Little advice

A). Direct correlation must be proven by statistical analysis
B). Correlation does not mean causation

You made the claim that attendance is down because of Barta because you want to believe it yet did nothing to support it. Somebody posted a counter point with ACTUAL DATA to support it and you blast it saying that he has to prove it. You're like all the fucking political shills on Facebook. As soon as somebody posts something counter to a claim (WITH EVIDENCE) the person says something to the effect of "You're Wrong" and leaves/ignores without ever trying to see from their perspective. People like you are exactly why we can't have adult debates. Too many GD childish people.
pwned_DH.jpg

Is a poster ignores you it's not because he wouldn't listen to you. It's because he explained his stance, right or wrong, in about a dozen posts and no longer felt the need to waste time trying to get through to you.

Actually I was defending another poster that he was belittling, that's how I earned my ignore. The funny thing is that I actually linked data that supported his point while disagreeing with his other point.
Link

Calling someone a prick is a pretty strong statement. Are you sure you want to go there? Obviously so since you posted it.

I've had adult debates with lightning, gold, 87 and many others. Again, it's not nuclear physics. You respect people and it's not hard to get respect back, even when the other poster disagrees with you.
Nah he has me on ignore so he can't see it anyway. The prob is lightning doesn't respect anyone that believes differently than him or responds to him in the same way he responds to others

Last edited:
While I agree, he's been one of the best AD's in the country and absolutely is more qualified to make a FB hire, who has he held accountable for you to make that statement? He literally hasn't fired a FB or BB coach. That's all I am saying. You can't say "Look at Barry Alvarez, he holds coaches accountable" when he's never had to let a single important coach go. Barry just locked up Gard and gave him a raise last month and extended him until 2023 after WI had its first under-.500 record (15-18) in 20 years and missed the tournament for the first time since 1998. That doesn't seem to be holding him accountable to me.
Many Badger fans and people close to the program basically have speculated that Bielema did not like the pressure that Alvarez surrounded him with and how close Barry stayed to the everyday pulse of the football program. Bielema basically wanted the keys to the kingdom to have final say on everything in regards to the football program, that’s why he chose to take the money and keys to the kingdom at Arkansas.

Next up was Gary Anderson who wanted to recruit a lot of JUCO level players and also felt the UW’s academic standards were too difficult to bring in the players he wanted. He also left for a worse gig.

Both of those coaches have now flamed out and the Badgers continue to roll under Barry’s watch. So while you’re right that he hasn’t fired anyone, he has made sure the program is run his way, and it appears that his way is pretty darn good because that program is rolling.

Many Badger fans and people close to the program basically have speculated that Bielema did not like the pressure that Alvarez surrounded him with and how close Barry stayed to the everyday pulse of the football program. Bielema basically wanted the keys to the kingdom to have final say on everything in regards to the football program, that’s why he chose to take the money and keys to the kingdom at Arkansas.

Next up was Gary Anderson who wanted to recruit a lot of JUCO level players and also felt the UW’s academic standards were too difficult to bring in the players he wanted. He also left for a worse gig.

Both of those coaches have now flamed out and the Badgers continue to roll under Barry’s watch. So while you’re right that he hasn’t fired anyone, he has made sure the program is run his way, and it appears that his way is pretty darn good because that program is rolling.

I didn't argue that his way isn't good, it's the standard. I said, he can't be considered the bar for accountability. He extended 4 coaches from last season that had losing seasons. If Barta does that, he's gutless. If Barry does it, he's the standard for holding coaches accountable. You're saying Barry runs the football program and the head coach's are basically his assistants. It certainly appears that way, doesn't seem to matter who they plug in there. The ones he has haven't been that successful before (Chryst) and haven't when they left (BB and Anderson). So, did he hire good guys or not? You can't argue with the results, but that's a pretty unique AD in today's game. Most successful AD's don't do a ton of firing of their major players, cause they hired them or that means shit's getting bad and they are likely out before they can fire anyone. I thought Barta had a pretty quick hook on Lick. Barta holding coaches accountable would seem to be the least of his or Iowa fans issue with him.

I didn't argue that his way isn't good, it's the standard. I said, he can't be considered the bar for accountability. He extended 4 coaches from last season that had losing seasons. If Barta does that, he's gutless. If Barry does it, he's the standard for holding coaches accountable. You're saying Barry runs the football program and the head coach's are basically his assistants. It certainly appears that way, doesn't seem to matter who they plug in there. The ones he has haven't been that successful before (Chryst) and haven't when they left (BB and Anderson). So, did he hire good guys or not? You can't argue with the results, but that's a pretty unique AD in today's game. Most successful AD's don't do a ton of firing of their major players, cause they hired them or that means shit's getting bad and they are likely out before they can fire anyone. I thought Barta had a pretty quick hook on Lick. Barta holding coaches accountable would seem to be the least of his or Iowa fans issue with him.
What you are arguing in terms of that Barry hasn’t really fired a ton of guys is correct, and as I’ve inserted myself into the argument it’s not my place to dispute that.

I will maintain however that Barry runs circles around Gary in terms of being a high quality AD and demanding success out of his coaches. He would never be caught dead saying something like “some years we will have a good year and some years we will have not so good years” as Barta said about the Fran extension.

Look, it’s management 101. Most sane people understand that firing every single person after a down year in performance isn’t the right way to go about things. You then would have to find someone to replace them which isn’t always easy to do. However how you motivate and properly incentivize your employees (in this case coaches) is where you set yourself apart, and in my opinion where Barry runs circles around Gary.

Lastly, as an aside to everyone jumping on Gard having a down year, they never seem to mention the fact that UW was without their PG who is their second best player and one of their top freshman who was set to be top 7 in the rotation. They also still finished above Iowa mind you and Gard took them to the sweet 16 the prior two years. There might be some drop off with Gard compared to Bo, but those expecting them to fall of a cliff might be surprised.

Attendance is down for a lot of reasons. The middle class is declining. Concussions. Lack of interest. Younger people just aren't interested in the pompous stuff as a group. You can watch the game in minutes. It costs too much. Takes too much time (not football but I watched Quintana pitch last year in an evening game and then had to drive home....

Look at participation here.

There are a multitude of reasons for this, but ...... attendance is down in all sports.

There are a multitude of reasons for this, but ...... attendance is down in all sports.
Michigan manages to average more ticket sales than they have actual seating. That's curious. I thought people around here have said that attendance is down across the board.

He doesn't hire "average" coaches. Advantage Alvarez.
Bielema got canned at Arkansas. Gary Anderson didn’t work out at Oregon State. Chryst really wasn’t impressive at Pitt.

Barry believes in his program. Gary plays the “we are little old Iowa, we won’t ever get anyone better” card and hands out extensions and raises like they are going out of style.

If only somehow we could have gotten Stevens instead of Lick after Alf left....But then Stevens probably would have gone on to greener pastures by now.

Celts came close to making the finals, but the Cavs prevailed. They might be swept by the Warriors, one of the best teams ever. They are a pleasure to watch.....

:cool: