When was I or were you this down on Hawk bball?

Look no further than Barry Alvarez. He has expectations, and if you don't meet them you're held accountable.

Barta gives out contract extensions instead of accountability. That's gutless.

If you want "high-character guys" and that's your only criteria for being a B1G coach regardless of W/L record, then you'd be better off starting up a rec basketball league made up of the pastors in whatever town you're from. You could have a draft and everything.
Thank you. Couldn't have said it better.

The response in question came from this email address: gary-barta@hawkeyesports.com.
If some underling sent those lies under his name, it's no different. If a representative of my company uses company name/email address to tell lies, I'm responsible for that empoyee/representative. Of course, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that Gutless Gary's email staff is equally as incompetent as the coaches he's hired. Reason # 387000 why he needs to kicks rocks.
All I’m getting at is that it’s not realistic to expect to have communication directly with someone in Barta’s position whether he’s an idiot or not. Just like any other CEO of a big company, or a public figure. Yeah, there are exceptions to that, but generally not.

All I’m getting at is that it’s not realistic to expect to have communication directly with someone in Barta’s position whether he’s an idiot or not. Just like any other CEO of a big company, or a public figure. Yeah, there are exceptions to that, but generally not.
If he allows staff members to tell lies using his name on the email...he's gonna take the heat. That's a Gutless Gary problem.
I've received emails from other members of the athletic dept. They all used their name/email address.

Lol @ gutless lightning, can people names on forums all day but gets sad and ignores as soon as somebody gives him shit back.

4a3c3e9ddb89babe1ae32689dd958171.jpg
I've disagreed with Lightning from the day I've started posting. And I've agreed with him many times too. I've pointed out where I think I'm right and owned up to it when he makes a solid case that I'm wrong. I've been both. How difficult is that? I don't feel that he thinks it's cool to call our AD Gutless Gary. He's just stating his opinion. I don't think he would explode in Fran's face if he ever bumped into him. He would simply tell him what he believes.

He told me some time ago don't take his posts too seriously, that he can be abrasive when stating his opinions. That's not too difficult to comprehend. And neither he or anyone else has ever threatened to put me on ignore.

Look, there are real things to worry about. In my case my dad is about to turn 74 and isn't doing well. My oldest has a baby on the way. My daughter is about to start college. My youngest is scrimmaging with the elite team tonight where he plays AAU ball. I use my legs for my job and my knees are getting worse. I'm getting ready to feed around 250 for a grad party. Lost of things that all of you can relate to. This is just a forum. Is a poster ignores you it's not because he wouldn't listen to you. It's because he explained his stance, right or wrong, in about a dozen posts and no longer felt the need to waste time trying to get through to you.

Last edited:
It's because he explained his stance, right or wrong, in about a dozen posts and no longer felt the need to waste time trying to get through to you.

Nah it's because he's a crotchety person who can't see anything from anybody's point of view but his own.

I understand the frustration. I've lived in Iowa City my whole life, am a U of I alum and "bleed black and gold". I was pissed with the changes in tailgating ~2010, took away a lot from several of my favorite events of the year. I was at Kirk's first press conference when he was announced as our coach - recruited Brian Ferentz to play football at City High. I understand that while Fran has had some good moments, he has been far from great.. I understand that people get upset with Kirk's ridiculously conservative offensive philosophy and propensity to play down to the competition. Barta's incompetence is maddening.

I just choose to view things in a positive light because that's the kind of person I am - I don't dwell on and bitch about things that I can't change on a platform that has zero visibility to the outside world.

Last edited:
So, if I’m reading your post correctly, you’re saying Barry Alvarez wouldn’t fire a “big time” coach and would grant extensions instead? Because it’s no secret that Alvarez has high expectations for his football coaches. Could it be that BA knows what to look for in coaches, as well as having deep knowledge of the sport, something GB lacks?

While I agree, he's been one of the best AD's in the country and absolutely is more qualified to make a FB hire, who has he held accountable for you to make that statement? He literally hasn't fired a FB or BB coach. That's all I am saying. You can't say "Look at Barry Alvarez, he holds coaches accountable" when he's never had to let a single important coach go. Barry just locked up Gard and gave him a raise last month and extended him until 2023 after WI had its first under-.500 record (15-18) in 20 years and missed the tournament for the first time since 1998. That doesn't seem to be holding him accountable to me.

Last edited:
Lol. Not sure who you are responding to (because I have them on ignore for a good reason). If that's what one of these guys is saying, he's dumber than I thought.

Serious LOL, this dude's followed me around this site over the last 5-7 years and in general just been nasty and I am blocked for good reason? I love HN, you can't make up that kind of thing.

Last edited:
I've disagreed with Lightning from the day I've started posting. And I've agreed with him many times too. I've pointed out where I think I'm right and owned up to it when he makes a solid case that I'm wrong. I've been both. How difficult is that? I don't feel that he thinks it's cool to call our AD Gutless Gary. He's just stating his opinion. I don't think he would explode in Fran's face if he ever bumped into him. He would simply tell him what he believes.

He told me some time ago don't take his posts too seriously, that he can be abrasive when stating his opinions. That's not too difficult to comprehend. And neither he or anyone else has ever threatened to put me on ignore.

Look, there are real things to worry about. In my case my dad is about to turn 74 and isn't doing well. My oldest has a baby on the way. My daughter is about to start college. My youngest is scrimmaging with the elite team tonight where he plays AAU ball. I use my legs for my job and my knees are getting worse. I'm getting ready to feed around 250 for a grad party. Lost of things that all of you can relate to. This is just a forum. Is a poster ignores you it's not because he wouldn't listen to you. It's because he explained his stance, right or wrong, in about a dozen posts and no longer felt the need to waste time trying to get through to you.

I agree, I am shocked he put me on ignore, I certainly didn't call him any names or say anything over offensive to him. But if he wants to ignore me, that's his prerogative. We've had battles for a long while, we've agreed on some things. We have a bet for next season on whether Iowa makes the dance or not. I try to keep it playful even though he basically calls me every name he can come up with. Yesterday he spent this thread telling me how tough and strong willed he was and then I just kind of made fun of that and he put me on ignore. I apologize to him if I upset him or said something out of line. I like to be friendly, I don't have time in life not to be, plus it's not good for head space. Lightning1 is actually one of the few things keeping me coming back to a social media platform that's pretty much dead. Sad he put me on ignore, I feel like what I say to him is pretty tame in comparison.

My original email was not "unhinged". I simply wanted to know why I was spending $10,000 a year on Iowa athletics, only to be treated like a criminal at the tailgate. Not an unreasonable or unhinged email, as far as I'm concerned. He responded with a LIE! That's on him. Or whoever sent that lie in his name.

Why are you spending 10 grand a year on Iowa athletics. Gardening is cheaper. I think we had a thread on that.

I agree, I am shocked he put me on ignore, I certainly didn't call him any names or say anything over offensive to him. But if he wants to ignore me, that's his prerogative. We've had battles for a long while, we've agreed on some things. We have a bet for next season on whether Iowa makes the dance or not. I try to keep it playful even though he basically calls me every name he can come up with. Yesterday he spent this thread telling me how tough and strong willed he was and then I just kind of made fun of that and he put me on ignore. I apologize to him if I upset him or said something out of line. I like to be friendly, I don't have time in life not to be, plus it's not good for head space. Lightning1 is actually one of the few things keeping me coming back to a social media platform that's pretty much dead. Sad he put me on ignore, I feel like what I say to him is pretty tame in comparison.
Everyone is entitled to their own style. Lightning is very good at how he does it. His opinions almost sound like facts and it works for him. I'm more sarcastic and sardonic and it sometimes works for me. I followed many of you on these boards years before I started posting. It made for great reading

My guess, and it's just that, is that lightning has as many irons in the fire as the rest of us. If he calls a poster a name, he's probably forgotten about it two seconds after his post hits the boards. If that offends the poster, that's on the poster.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their own style. Lightning is very good at how he does it. His opinions almost sound like facts and it works for him. I'm more sarcastic and sardonic and it sometimes works for me. I followed many of you on these boards years before I started posting. It made for great reading

My guess, and it's just that, is that lightning has as many irons in the fire as the rest of us. If he calls a poster a name, he's probably forgotten about it two seconds after his post hits the boards. If that offends the poster, that's on the poster.

He's the one that was offended so that is on him. He can call me names all he wants, never bothered me, but he blocked me and I play with kid gloves... called him out a little bit and took his ball and went home after telling us all how tough he was. It's funny. I laughed. He's moved on I just hope he doesn't welsh on our bet now.

Last edited:
Lots of reasons. Too many to list.We don't have "stability" in our two cash cow programs. We have declining season ticket sales in both sports. Look at the numbers. Look at the avg season ticket sales for the 10 years before Gutless Gary showed up and the numbers since.

I would submit that declining attendance (and thus, declining ticket sales) is an issue for at **ALL** NCAA D1 universities. The numbers published by the NCAA back that up. According to the NCAA, in 2008 there were 119 D1 schools and a total attendance of 34.8 million - that's an average of 292K per school for the season. In 2017 there were 129 D1 schools and a total attendance of 34.1 million - that's an average of 264K per school for the season. Down almost 30K in 10 seasons.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

Because media streaming has made every D1 game readily available, attendance is down. It's a lot cheaper to stream every game of your favorite team than to attend one game with your family. The NCAA, U of I included, will have to figure out how to deal with this, much like the music insu.

Why are you spending 10 grand a year on Iowa athletics. Gardening is cheaper. I think we had a thread on that.
I never once heard the AD suggest I take up gardening. They were always really pleased to take my money. And So much so, that when I ceased giving them any money. I was sent numerous emails asking me to renew season tickets in football and basketball, for 4 or 5 years.

I would submit that declining attendance (and thus, declining ticket sales) is an issue for at **ALL** NCAA D1 universities. The numbers published by the NCAA back that up. According to the NCAA, in 2008 there were 119 D1 schools and a total attendance of 34.8 million - that's an average of 292K per school for the season. In 2017 there were 129 D1 schools and a total attendance of 34.1 million - that's an average of 264K per school for the season. Down almost 30K in 10 seasons.

Because media streaming has made every D1 game readily available, attendance is down. It's a lot cheaper to stream every game of your favorite team than to attend one game with your family. The NCAA, U of I included, will have to figure out how to deal with this, much like the music insu.
I don't care what you choose to believe is the cause. You will have to find the national average among P5 programs and see which side of the line Iowa Football/basketball falls on, to support your theory.
I see a direct correlation with the time Gutless Gary got here.

My guess, and it's just that, is that lightning has as many irons in the fire as the rest of us.

Everyone is fighting a battle that we know nothing about. It is not an excuse to be a prick.

You will have to find the national average among P5 programs and see which side of the line Iowa Football/basketball falls on, to support your theory.

Because you did the exact same thing right? LOL. Why is everyone else held to such a higher standard of proof than you? That's your biggest problem. You want everyone to accept everything as fact with little to no proof but require everyone else to prove their statements. When they do you just shrug them off as wrong. Complete arrogance.

I choose to see a direct correlation with the time Gutless Gary got here.
FIFY

Little advice

A). Direct correlation must be proven by statistical analysis
B). Correlation does not mean causation

You made the claim that attendance is down because of Barta because you want to believe it yet did nothing to support it. Somebody posted a counter point with ACTUAL DATA to support it and you blast it saying that he has to prove it. You're like all the fucking political shills on Facebook. As soon as somebody posts something counter to a claim (WITH EVIDENCE) the person says something to the effect of "You're Wrong" and leaves/ignores without ever trying to see from their perspective. People like you are exactly why we can't have adult debates. Too many GD childish people.

Last edited:

Attendance is down for a lot of reasons. The middle class is declining. Concussions. Lack of interest. Younger people just aren't interested in the pompous stuff as a group. You can watch the game in minutes. It costs too much. Takes too much time (not football but I watched Quintana pitch last year in an evening game and then had to drive home....

Look at participation here.

man you set me straight bra.... I sit around and wait for you to come dump all over someone else's opinion. Bet you're a hit at parties. I don't disagree with anything you said, but iowa won 18 or more games the previous 6 seasons before last. 1 season doesn't get me there. Is that ok with you or should I say gutless a bunch?
Playing CupCake U to get to those 18 wins should NOT be a quality measuring stick and BTW I believe we lost to a D2 school recently.

Everyone is fighting a battle that we know nothing about. It is not an excuse to be a prick.

Because you did the exact same thing right? LOL. Why is everyone else held to such a higher standard of proof than you? That's your biggest problem. You want everyone to accept everything as fact with little to no proof but require everyone else to prove their statements. When they do you just shrug them off as wrong. Complete arrogance.

FIFY

Little advice

A). Direct correlation must be proven by statistical analysis
B). Correlation does not mean causation

You made the claim that attendance is down because of Barta because you want to believe it yet did nothing to support it. Somebody posted a counter point with ACTUAL DATA to support it and you blast it saying that he has to prove it. You're like all the fucking political shills on Facebook. As soon as somebody posts something counter to a claim (WITH EVIDENCE) the person says something to the effect of "You're Wrong" and leaves/ignores without ever trying to see from their perspective. People like you are exactly why we can't have adult debates. Too many GD childish people.

Some people argue with facts. Others argue with emotion. Maybe lightning is a woman? Most people who blindly argue with emotion are.

While I agree, he's been one of the best AD's in the country and absolutely is more qualified to make a FB hire, who has he held accountable for you to make that statement? He literally hasn't fired a FB or BB coach. That's all I am saying. You can't say "Look at Barry Alvarez, he holds coaches accountable" when he's never had to let a single important coach go. Barry just locked up Gard and gave him a raise last month and extended him until 2023 after WI had its first under-.500 record (15-18) in 20 years and missed the tournament for the first time since 1998. That doesn't seem to be holding him accountable to me.
I see people all the time say Wisconsin is good because they have an AD that demands success. You're right. It's a terrible take. Alvarez may be really good at finding excellence, but the only time he has had to prove he demands it was the example you gave, and he did just the opposite of demand it.