When was I or were you this down on Hawk bball?

I didn't say 18 wins equal a good season. I said it wasn't a really bad one. In my opinion that's not a good season either, it's just not THAT bad either. Pretty mediocre. Last year was a bad season.

I think we have identical ideas of what it means to compete in sports. The difference between us is I know I have no control over it nor do I feel the need to post non stop about my displeasure about it til the point that I become troll level. I accept Iowa sports. It's not the best at everything. Anything really. I want it to be, but ultimately there isn't anything I can do about it. I also don't care enough to constantly talk about your threshold for success and why it's "wrong". You obviously do. Kudos. Enjoy that. I am glad that you have such a high bar. I'm happy for ya, let's see how it works out? But I imagine you're a real treat to be around.

meanwhile - I am just not gonna lose my shit over these facts you lay out. Who cares? So, yeah, I accept that Iowa isn't the best. I am ok with that. I still love being a Hawk. Can I still comment on the team or express my opinion or are you just gonna badger the hell out of me for it? Do I have to be upset about it all the time? Or do I need to hide behind a screen and talk trash about extremely successful men to get your approval?
Just admit it, you have no problem with mediocrity. Admitting it is a big step to fixing the problem.

AM OLD! Life is made of DREAMS...Let him dream.Agree with you just 99%Go Hawks...

Oh I dream. I want Iowa to be good so bad. I think Lightning1 and anyone else for that fact has the right to be upset and to voice their opinion. I think they should. I think he should stop telling ME how to fan. What's it matter to him if I love Iowa hoops win or lose? That's what a fanatic is. I've watched 40 years of Iowa sports and while I like to dream, I also have a pretty good understanding of how it works. I'm grounded in reality. The reality is, it's not perfect. It isn't anywhere. I don't really need to fire everyone all the time, cause it's not my job. I also believe continuity in the program's Iowa has is an asset. That's my opinion. I also have tremendous respect for my fellow man. I don't really say anything on the internet I wouldn't say to someone to their face. It's fun for some people to be miserable all the time or to constantly try to pull others in it with you. It's also human nature for someone to want to draw a line in the sand and have people on either side of it. I am not one of those. I am upset about Iowa hoops LAST year, the 6 previous seasons, I wasn't. It will take me another season before I really sink to the "ok it's time for a change" feeling. I accept mediocrity because it's not like I am gonna go pick another team that doesn't or something. It's ridiculous when you think about it.

Iowa had its share of injuries last year, especially when one point guard was hurt for a good part of the season, another one redshirted because of injuries, and another point guard transferred out. Barring injury, they will be a lot better this coming year. Fran is a good coach, but sometimes things happen that you can't do anything about.

Iowa had its share of injuries last year, especially when one point guard was hurt for a good part of the season, another one redshirted because of injuries, and another point guard transferred out. Barring injury, they will be a lot better this coming year. Fran is a good coach, but sometimes things happen that you can't do anything about.
Ok, Marge. ;)

Do good coaches allow their team to not play any defense?

Oh I dream. I want Iowa to be good so bad. I think Lightning1 and anyone else for that fact has the right to be upset and to voice their opinion. I think they should. I think he should stop telling ME how to fan. What's it matter to him if I love Iowa hoops win or lose? That's what a fanatic is. I've watched 40 years of Iowa sports and while I like to dream, I also have a pretty good understanding of how it works. I'm grounded in reality. The reality is, it's not perfect. It isn't anywhere. I don't really need to fire everyone all the time, cause it's not my job. I also believe continuity in the program's Iowa has is an asset. That's my opinion. I also have tremendous respect for my fellow man. I don't really say anything on the internet I wouldn't say to someone to their face. It's fun for some people to be miserable all the time or to constantly try to pull others in it with you. It's also human nature for someone to want to draw a line in the sand and have people on either side of it. I am not one of those. I am upset about Iowa hoops LAST year, the 6 previous seasons, I wasn't. It will take me another season before I really sink to the "ok it's time for a change" feeling. I accept mediocrity because it's not like I am gonna go pick another team that doesn't or something. It's ridiculous when you think about it.
You get Fran in front of me and I will tell him the same things I am saying right here. I'm not scared of Fran McCaffery. Why the f^&* would I be? What do you think Fran is going to do if I told him he coaches the worst defense I have ever seen? Is he gonna pull a gun out and shoot me? Is he gonna stab me? Get in my face and scream at me? What is it exactly, that I am afraid of? Now you're just taking shit out of your ass.
Maybe YOU are a coward but don't ever make the mistake of thinking I am!

18 wins is also followed by 12+ losses. 18 wins doesn't = a good season. Not in my opinion. You and I have very different ideas of what it means to compete in sports. 18 wins is perfectly acceptable to you. 1 conference title every century is a reasonable expectation for you. I don't subscribe to idea that those achievements are acceptable.
You can say gutless how many times it suits you. It suits me to include it each and every time I discuss Gary Barta. That's what the man is. Gutless. He thinks 18 win seasons are acceptable too.

What is funny is how you think it is so cool for you to call Barta gutless on the internet when there is no way you would do that to his face. That actually makes you gutless. You talk really big on the message board.

Good for you, Gutless. And there is the difference. You see, based upon what I know about you, I would call you gutless to your face. How old are you, anyway? You sound like a fifth grader the way you call people names and try to tell everyone how they should feel and how you aren’t afraid to get in someone’s face and berate them, because they don’t have a gun they will use on you. Yup, fifth grade sounds about right.

Last edited:
You get Fran in front of me and I will tell him the same things I am saying right here. I'm not scared of Fran McCaffery. Why the f^&* would I be? What do you think Fran is going to do if I told him he coaches the worst defense I have ever seen? Is he gonna pull a gun out and shoot me? Is he gonna stab me? Get in my face and scream at me? What is it exactly, that I am afraid of? Now you're just taking shit out of your ass.
Maybe YOU are a coward but don't ever make the mistake of thinking I am!
Truly a doosh.

What is funny is how you think it is so cool for you to call Barta gutless on the internet when there is no way you would do that to his face. That actually makes you gutless. You talk really big on the message board.

Good for you, Gutless. And there is the difference. You see, based upon what I know about you, I would call you gutless to your face. How old are you, anyway? You sound like a fifth grader the way you call people names and try to tell everyone how they should feel and how you aren’t afraid to get in someone’s face and berate them, because they don’t have a gun they will use on you. Yup, fifth grade sounds about right.
I'll tell him straight to his face. I'll call you and Gutless Gary anything I want to your faces. If you or Gutless doesn't like it and you are feeling froggy...go ahead and jump.

The truly ironic thing is, that Gutless Gary hides behind email responses to try and tell lies to season ticket holders and you idiots are defending him. I find that hilarious.

The truly ironic thing is, that Gutless Gary hides behind email responses to try and tell lies to season ticket holders and you idiots are defending him. I find that hilarious.

Is Barta supposed to call everyone who sends him an angry email or set up a personal meeting with them to discuss their opinion on Iowa sports? That sounds like an inefficient use of time for an AD doesn't it?

Is Barta supposed to call everyone who sends him an angry email or set up a personal meeting with them to discuss their opinion on Iowa sports? That sounds like an inefficient use of time for an AD doesn't it?
Just don't send emails full of lies to your season ticket holders. And then refuse to respond when you are called out on those lies. That's not too much to ask, is it?

I'm in my late 30s and as far as my lifetime goes last yr was pretty disappointing. I mean going off of expectations going into last yr it should have been a step forward not 10 steps back like it was. Nobody got hurt or lost for an extended period and they just looked so inept on D. In my years of following Iowa ball I've never seen anything quite like it. Some could say losing Jok ended up hurting more than expected but I don't buy that. They played well for stretches without him his senior year. It's kinda hard to put a finger on just why that was. But it's 99% on the defensive end. (Which Jok didn't help a lot with)

Prior to that the Licklighter years were just strait up bad. The apathy and fans staying home during the majority of his tenure had to be historic for the program. He should have been let go a year sooner if not 2 earlier than he was. But well Barta...

All that being said I feel there's hope Iowa can drastically improve this year. Would I put the farm on it? Naw I'm not doing that but I do have hope. He's got talented kids that can score. If they can just get them on the same page defensively and all improve at it.. During the Licklighter years there was no such thing as hope past the first yr or so of his time... Between the lack of offensive talent and style of play there was just no chance..