When was I or were you this down on Hawk bball?

18 wins is also followed by 12+ losses. 18 wins doesn't = a good season. Not in my opinion. You and I have very different ideas of what it means to compete in sports. 18 wins is perfectly acceptable to you. 1 conference title every century is a reasonable expectation for you. I don't subscribe to idea that those achievements are acceptable.
You can say gutless how many times it suits you. It suits me to include it each and every time I discuss Gary Barta. That's what the man is. Gutless. He thinks 18 win seasons are acceptable too.

I didn't say 18 wins equal a good season. I said it wasn't a really bad one. In my opinion that's not a good season either, it's just not THAT bad either. Pretty mediocre. Last year was a bad season.

I think we have identical ideas of what it means to compete in sports. The difference between us is I know I have no control over it nor do I feel the need to post non stop about my displeasure about it til the point that I become troll level. I accept Iowa sports. It's not the best at everything. Anything really. I want it to be, but ultimately there isn't anything I can do about it. I also don't care enough to constantly talk about your threshold for success and why it's "wrong". You obviously do. Kudos. Enjoy that. I am glad that you have such a high bar. I'm happy for ya, let's see how it works out? But I imagine you're a real treat to be around.

meanwhile - I am just not gonna lose my shit over these facts you lay out. Who cares? So, yeah, I accept that Iowa isn't the best. I am ok with that. I still love being a Hawk. Can I still comment on the team or express my opinion or are you just gonna badger the hell out of me for it? Do I have to be upset about it all the time? Or do I need to hide behind a screen and talk trash about extremely successful men to get your approval?

Neither of you could hold Gary Barta's jock and that's what's funny.

I agree. There is no way lightning1 and tksirius could possibly make the University of Iowa look as bad as Gary did during the rhabdomyolysis situation and during the Meyer/Griesbaum trial.

From what I gather, he is impressive at raising funds so at least he does something right. As a leader of an athletic department he is poor at best. Particularly when it comes to media and getting out in front of a situation instead of allowing the media to dictate the story.

I agree. There is no way lightning1 and tksirius could possibly make the University of Iowa look as bad as Gary did during the rhabdomyolysis situation and during the Meyer/Griesbaum trial.

From what I gather, he is impressive at raising funds so at least he does something right. As a leader of an athletic department he is poor at best. Particularly when it comes to media and getting out in front of a situation instead of allowing the media to dictate the story.

yeah, he made the U of I look so bad that they keep extending him. Horrible.

If every one of us had everything we did at work public, we'd all be f'd. The majority of us spend our days on a message board. So keep convincing yourselves you're some how better.

I'm still optimistic about the future.
I like Fran and his style. (just not his temper tantrums) . I'll think he'll land a good PG and Iowa will be back in the hunt again.

And this sir is a whole other problem. Like I said, he's good at raising money. I would imagine that is the reason he keeps getting extended.

right, his own superior's think so much of him that they've looked beyond his f ups. He does THAT well for Iowa. I think he's made a TON of gafs, made the U of I look bad but still has the job. He must do something right to remain in power which outweighs the bad. I don't know what that is. I don't like him either and I'd like to see him gone but up until the lawsuit, I really didn't have a strong opinion either way. I don't like the contracts for Kirk and Fran, that to me is his biggest fault and worse mistakes. I just think, people are human. Not every decision people make goes the right way. We all likely wish we could all make different calls from time to time. But, let's not all act like any of us have even smelled the kind of success or accomplished an ounce of what Gary Barta has. You wouldn't be posting on here if you had. He's lived a nice life filled with success.

Last edited:
Further proof that Good is Gary.

You didn't need more proof TK...

actually I am one of the few people on here not hiding my identity. I'm just not some loser that needs to tear down public figure's or other people in general on a website.

You didn't need more proof TK...

actually I am one of the few people on here not hiding my identity. I'm just not some loser that needs to tear down public figure's or other people in general on a website.
You're just mad cuz you're the public figure they're tearing down.

You're just mad cuz you're the public figure they're tearing down.

I'm not mad haha, even remotely. I in fact laugh all day at the notion you guys present like you know more about anything then anyone about anything. It's funny and you guys are fun.

I'm not mad haha, even remotely. I in fact laugh all day at the notion you guys present like you know more about anything then anyone about anything. It's funny and you guys are fun.
Well, you definitely know more about the inner workings of your athletic department than I do, Gary.

To me Iowa bball is in a weird limbo right now. We have no idea if cook is coming back. We have no idea how wieskamp will be used or what he will contribute. We have no idea what connor will provide. We have no idea what improvements guys like nunge and garze will make after year one.

I'm mostly pessimistic on this upcoming season based on how poorly last year went but I still dont think the tourney is unobtainable

I'll second that with the caveat that I'd be happy with Locure. I can see why people wouldn't be optimistic, but this should only be a real discussion after next year if we whiff on everyone and we also miss the tournament.

Is Locure even as tall as Lil' Lick?

right, his own superior's think so much of him that they've looked beyond his f ups. He does THAT well for Iowa. I think he's made a TON of gafs, made the U of I look bad but still has the job. He must do something right to remain in power which outweighs the bad. I don't know what that is. I don't like him either and I'd like to see him gone but up until the lawsuit, I really didn't have a strong opinion either way. I don't like the contracts for Kirk and Fran, that to me is his biggest fault and worse mistakes. I just think, people are human. Not every decision people make goes the right way. We all likely wish we could all make different calls from time to time. But, let's not all act like any of us have even smelled the kind of success or accomplished an ounce of what Gary Barta has. You wouldn't be posting on here if you had. He's lived a nice life filled with success.

You make a good point. Unfortunately it all sm r lls like goid old fashioned corruption but yes he id obviously making those in charge happy.

Evrn if the there is no corruption, half of the big we would like Barta s success.