When Fran said let's get mad again...

freddies recruiting has be vastly overrated to his point.

Sure it has. He is signing players with offers from Pittsburgh, Maryland, A&M, St. Johns, West Virginia, Providence, Arizona, Seton Hall, Alabama, Miami, etc. And those are the HS kids. The transfers are all high level players as well.

This is year 1 in after Iowa State has had 5 straight losing seasons. Let's be honest, his recruiting has been incredible as he took over a program that had no talent and no momentum. Iowa fans are using that as an excuse as to why we only have 1 2012 commitment and from a kid who had no BCS offers.

Fred isn't getting top 20 classes but he is recruiting high level players which is impressive

Last edited:
freddies recruiting has be vastly overrated to his point.

It's hard to rip on adding Royce White (potential NBA talent), Korie Lucious ('12) and Chris Allen along with HS prospects Cook, Gibson and Sledge and Niang + Okoro for 2012. Compared to Duke and NC they might be overrated, but they have a lot more to be excited about than us. HN posters are blowing White and Oglesby who might not even be in the top 5 in terms of talent out of the previous list.

Chris Allen is better than any guard on our roster. Royce White will be better than Basabe.

IMO, Smoot27 is winning this thread in a landslide.

There is a fine line between being a "fan", and being a "fanatic".

IMO, Smoot27 is winning this thread in a landslide.

There is a fine line between being a "fan", and being a "fanatic".

I appreciate your comment, but I'm not trying to defeat anyone here. I'm a diehard Iowa fan, but I hate it that posters on a message board meant for good analytical discussions turn it into let's hate on people who "disparage " the hawks. Just because I point out what I believe are objective criticisms, it doesn't mean I'm not a true fan or "need to become a clone fan"

I appreciate your comment, but I'm not trying to defeat anyone here. I'm a diehard Iowa fan, but I hate it that posters on a message board meant for good analytical discussions turn it into let's hate on people who "disparage " the hawks. Just because I point out what I believe are objective criticisms, it doesn't mean I'm not a true fan or "need to become a clone fan"

I'm not saying that you aren't a true fan, in fact.. that's exactly what I would call you. A fan is someone who enjoys the teams' success as it is happening, but also loves their respective team so much, that they begin to ask questions when things aren't going so well.

I, for one, can not stand "fanatics". These are the kinds of people who think they are fans because they own a pair of striped overalls, paint their faces black and gold, and show up to tailgate on Saturday mornings.

Women are the worst at this, and that's understandable.. because they probably don't find the enjoyment of discussing Hawkeye Athletics on a message board, with strangers, in the off-season. And that's totally fine. My girlfriend likes Iowa, because I like Iowa.. but she doesn't pretend to know anymore about Iowa then what I tell her, and I think that's a fine way to be. ;)

It's hard to rip on adding Royce White (potential NBA talent), Korie Lucious ('12) and Chris Allen along with HS prospects Cook, Gibson and Sledge and Niang + Okoro for 2012. Compared to Duke and NC they might be overrated, but they have a lot more to be excited about than us. HN posters are blowing White and Oglesby who might not even be in the top 5 in terms of talent out of the previous list.

Chris Allen is better than any guard on our roster. Royce White will be better than Basabe.

Chris Babb is also better than any guard on our roster and their transfer from Utah Will Clyburn who has to sit out this season, is also better than any player on our roster. Also, everyone here was pumped up for Hubbard to play for us, Hoiberg has brought in five transfers better than him. I don't see how you can say his recruiting has been overrated at all.

I have to believe that much of Hoiberg's recruiting success is due to his NBA experience. He played in the NBA as well as worked in the front office. This isn't much unlike John Calipari and his ability to recruit. He sells the elite players on coming and joing him for a year and promises to help them get ready for the next level since he has been there and knows what it takes. Mid-Major coaches like Lick and Fran don't have the ability to do this. Fran's highest level before Iowa was assistant at Notre Dame. He possesses nowhere near the credibility that Hoiberg can claim in that regard.

I have to believe that much of Hoiberg's recruiting success is due to his NBA experience. He played in the NBA as well as worked in the front office. This isn't much unlike John Calipari and his ability to recruit. He sells the elite players on coming and joing him for a year and promises to help them get ready for the next level since he has been there and knows what it takes. Mid-Major coaches like Lick and Fran don't have the ability to do this. Fran's highest level before Iowa was assistant at Notre Dame. He possesses nowhere near the credibility that Hoiberg can claim in that regard.

I agree. It will be interesting to see if he can deliver on that pitch and can guide a successfull team. He has the talent, no question.

That's one PR campaign that has tanked.

Case in point: we have six scholarships to grant and the major topic on this board is how good ISU is going to be.

i am obviously not counting the transfers because those most of those guys had very limited options as far as destinations.

his high school signees are fine, but nothing to brag on and on about.

Just remember that a lot of people on this board wanted to keep Lick another year. They also called out anyone who was realistic about the program. Don't get discouraged and keep up the good work, it is nice seeing some reality based posts here.

i am obviously not counting the transfers because those most of those guys had very limited options as far as destinations.

Thanks for clarifying that. :p

If limited options was what it took to get a quick influx of talent on the court then by all means so far it looks to be well worth the risk.
Both ISU and Iowa have seen first hand what happens when you try to build things really slowly with marginal High Major players.
The player turnover is bad.
The competitiveness is bad.
Wins low.
and that equals restlessness in the fan bases.

In all seriousness though if Iowa has a rough season this year and the same next season I would not be surprised to see Iowa fans change their tune about keeping McCaffrey. ISU fans would do the same thing.

that will depend on the 2012 recruiting class. we are going to be bad again this year...maybe a couple games better than last. the next year we could be pretty bad as well, but if we sign 3 or 4 top-125 players out of a 5 person class then the pressure eases a bit.

Fran gets at least 4, maybe even 5 years unless there are massive defections. the problem with lick is that not only were we bad, but the players were not buying in, and his new guys werent enough to carry him. if the 2012 class ends up as many think it might then fran will have the full support of some talented players that he recruited even if iowa sucks next year.

A scholarship is a scholarship regardless if it goes to a transfer or a hs prospect. That would be like not counting the value Yanda, Banks or Reggie Evans, Haluska and Recker added in those particular classes.

Frankly, I would rather have Fran grab some guys like Clyburn, Babb, White, Lucious and Allen to jumpstart our program. If Hoiberg starts winning games with these guys I wouldn't be surprised to see that success carry over to recruiting young HS prospects.

Well Hoiberg did beat out Calipari and Kentucky for White. It's not like he just beat out mid majors for these guys. The high school players he has brought in so far are solid, but he's got his sights on some big name guys in the 2013 and 2014 classes. ISU just has a lot of momentum in recruiting right now, especially in the northeast. Where as we are really struggling, a Woodbury commit would be huge for Fran.

A scholarship is a scholarship regardless if it goes to a transfer or a hs prospect. That would be like not counting the value Yanda, Banks or Reggie Evans, Haluska and Recker added in those particular classes.

Frankly, I would rather have Fran grab some guys like Clyburn, Babb, White, Lucious and Allen to jumpstart our program. If Hoiberg starts winning games with these guys I wouldn't be surprised to see that success carry over to recruiting young HS prospects.

really, you think that a ton of bigtime schools are drooling over the thought of giving up 2 years of a scholarship for 1 year of play from mediocre players who got kicked off their team?

The funniest thing about this thread is that some of you are acting like Fran isn't trying his best. What in the hell do you want the guy to do??? Threaten kids that don't want to come here? He inherited a program in a horrible state. You don't think he's going after guys that are "mid to major level talent"? No matter how much some keep b*tching about it, it's not going to change the fact that the Iowa basketball program is not an appealing one right now. It seems as though some of you are forgetting that. That's why it's going to take a lot of patience and belief that he can get it done because what's b*tching about it and pointing out completely obvious stuff (he needs to create a pipeline to Chicago, he needs to get bigger and better recruits to come here, etc. (DUH!)) going to do?

I hate to say this, but so did Hoiberg. Big difference is that Hoiberg has a roster full of talent already and is making huge strides in the HS ranks.

As much as we don't want to admit it, with Fran and Fred starting at the same time, they will continuously be judged against each other and right now, Fred is leading by quite a bit.

really, you think that a ton of bigtime schools are drooling over the thought of giving up 2 years of a scholarship for 1 year of play from mediocre players who got kicked off their team?

You really show your ignorance when you refer to players like White, Allen, Babb and Clyburn as mediocre. What does that make Brommer, Gatens, Cartwright, May and Marble? Do you think Hubburd, who arguably excited fans the most our of our recruits, is actually better than any one of these? Do you think anyone on our roster with exception of Basabe is better than these three? If you think Iowa State doesn't immediately have a better roster than us because of these additions you need to learn the game.

Clyburn averaged 17 pts per game for Utah and shot 40% for 3
Royce White was considered a legit NBA prospect as a HS senior
Allen was a lockdown defender, avg. 8 pts while shooting 40% for 3
Babb avg. 9 pts while shooting 37% for 3

I would gladly give up scholarships for any and all of these players to add to our roster. You would be an idiot not to take these players if you are a developing program.

Latest posts